Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Reports: YouTube to Launch New Music Subscription Service in March

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Lucas Shaw, writing at Bloomberg:

YouTube plans to introduce a paid music service in March, according to people familiar with the matter, a third attempt by parent company Alphabet Inc. to catch up with rivals Spotify and Apple Inc.

The new service could help appease record-industry executives who have pushed for more revenue from YouTube. Warner Music Group, one of the world’s three major record labels, has already signed on, said the people, who asked not to be identified discussing private talks. YouTube is also in talks with the two others, Sony Music Entertainment and Universal Music Group, and Merlin, a consortium of independent labels, the people said.

YouTube is already the de facto music service for a pretty large number of people.

2. They make no money. Haha.

3. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Apple Music will always be my fav because I love the local library integration. But I do understand that a lot of people don't care about that.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  4. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

I wonder how this affects the current youtube services? Will this be completely separate or will I now need to subscribe (or not subscribe in this case) to see whatever bands new lyric video or song?

5. Damien Davies

Idk Maybe Supporter

I'm surprised to hear that.

6. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

royalties and server maintenance on that level are expensive (not that artists make a lot of money from spotify either)

7. clucky

Trusted Supporter

does anyone outside of top bands make money in music these days?

8. Lots of bands make money.

9. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Same

JRGComedy likes this.
  10. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

I thought he meant specifically making money from the sale of music (rather than touring, merch, etc.) - though I know that's not what he said.

Your point about Spotify earlier is key though, because it highlights that Spotify has established a good size user base, and yet still fail to turn a profit. So although Youtube may want to do more to monetize music, will it be worthwhile? I guess the difference is they're already hosting the music and this would just be a case of generating more revenue from it.

11. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

Does Apple make money with their streaming service? Or Tidal? Or anyone else?