Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Reports: Daniel Craig Done With James Bond • Page 4

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 20, 2016.

1. bd007h May 20, 2016
    (Last edited: May 20, 2016)
    bd007h

chorus.fm's resident Meg Myers fan #GoSabres/Bills

Yeah that wasn't me. I don't even recall that post or anything about a music festival with women excluded. Even I think it's ridiculous.

As for Bond, this is just something we're never going to agree on. I can understand everyone's rationale but I would prefer James Bond as a character sticking true to it's roots. I have nothing against people of color taking on bigger roles in movies and television, but I'd rather them make entirely new characters that are just as compelling instead of taking on old ones just for the sake of being PC.

2. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

At the end of the day, you're being very ignorant and bigoted about a POC playing Bond while presenting piss poor arguments to defend yourself. It's your opinion to have but it's one that is very regressive to say the least. Times change, why uphold a fictional character to stay the same despite the changing of time? Tradition isn't all that damn great, you know.

Jason Tate likes this.
  3. DarkHotline

Ah "PC", the classic go to when you want to be a shithead but you need to something to blame to justify your shitty attitude.

Jason Tate likes this.
  4. He hasn't been true to his "root" for decades. You keep ignoring that part and I don't understand why ... like the premise of your entire argument is wrong. Bold faced flat out factually wrong. Bond's roots are not what has been on screen for a very very very very long time. And calling this "for the sake of being PC" is where this conversation ends and validate basically everything I assumed.

DarkHotline likes this.
  5. bd007h

Is Idris far and away a better candidate for the role than Fassbender or Cavill? I'm really not all that familiar with him as an actor because I never watched Luther. Cavill and Fassbender just look more like the James Bond I've grown accustom to. I just don't see any other reason why to make the change unless he's THAT much better of a choice.

If Idris is cast I'll still see it but it'd need to take a damn good script to convince me he's James Bond.

6. DarkHotline

Isn't Fassbender German? How would you honor the legacy of a fictional British spy by having a German play him?

Jason Tate likes this.
  7. bd007h

Lazenby is Australian so it's nothing entirely new to the franchise to have someone of a different natoinality. He just looks more like the part I've grown used to. If he can pull off a British accent I could see him in the role.

8. bd007h

I still think they'll go way out in left field and find someone none of use have heard of, kinda like they did with Bond.

They can't satisfy everyone though. Picking a "blonde" bond even alienated a bunch of people.

9. DarkHotline

Right, so no to a black man born in London to play a fictional British character but a dude born in Germany? SIGN ME THE FUCK UP! Plus, pretty sure that Lazenby was a one off role that isn't even canon so who fucking cares? Stop playing mental gymnastics and just accept that you're being a shithead for no reason whatsoever.

InfiniteArms likes this.
  10. If you care about what someone looks like first I think you're making a grave mistake. Hopefully one day you realize why.

11. bd007h

It is canon because him getting married at the end and his wife dying is referenced in later films.

Contract negotiations were ongoing as he was filming the movie but they went south and they just brought back Sean Connery for one more film before moving on to Roger Moore.

12. DarkHotline

You are fucking hopeless, I am blocking you as of this moment. I will not sit around and read your contrived, bigoted bullshit because you can't handle that people want a POC to play Bond over a white dude. You are a bigot and your continued bullshit argument to defend yourself is proof, I don't need that in my life. Maybe one day, you'll realize how near-sighted and wrong you are by thinking this way, I would hope so. Until then, get bent.

Nick likes this.
  13. bd007h

Michael Caine was actually considered for the role before George Lazenby was chosen for On Her Majesty's Secret Service. He turned the role down because he didn't want to by "type-casted" in spy films after having starred in three "Harry Palmer" films.

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  14. swedishheat

So, if it's okay to update characters and not be beholden to tradition, why is everyone upset that Tilda Swinton is playing The Ancient One?

15. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Casting a woman as M was up there with the best decisions this franchise ever made. Keeping her when they rebooted everything else was even better. I disagree that James Bond is a codename and that the backstory is a cover. I think the darkness and pain in his past is pretty vital. But yeah, I don't see how having Elba in the role really changes that. Do you really think that guy couldn't pull off playing a suave womanizing killing machine? Really?

Nick likes this.
  16. Because of the long history of whitewashing in the industry. But you already know that, don't you?

Nick and Dominick like this.
  17. MrRobot

Twitter/IG: @scott325

Lol I went to sleep leaving a good discussion about Bond and dude has to come in here with the "would you want a white Shaft" argument lmfao

Craig's Bond got shot with a sniper rifle and fell 100 yards off a train on a bridge and lived and you're worried about realism and staying true to a novel 60 years ago being ruined by a black guy playing him. It's not that deep, my guy. Just enjoy it.

18. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

I don't get the outrage over Elba :swoon: being James Bond. That Felix dude is white in the books, right? He's been played by POC actors.The Bond girls were all white, right? They have been played by POC actors. Why the fuss when they have strayed from the books before? Whether people want to admit it or not, it's straight up racism. The new author of the books called Elba "too street" which is racist AF. Everyone needs to get the fuck over this Elba controversy or whatever.

Nick, Dirty Sanchez and MrRobot like this.
  19. jellyfishfossil

Regular

I couldn't care less if they changed the nationality or ethnicity of the character. Both Fassbender and Elba would convince me to see a 007 movie on opening night.

20. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Throw out the boring old white guys. My bb jessie Williams should get the role and then we can hear him slay with his intelligence during promo!

I mostly just want him cast in all things tho lol

AelNire likes this.
  21. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

He's more Irish to be fair

AelNire likes this.
  22. swedishheat

I just think if it's not okay to take a non-white role and give it to a white person, then it shouldn't be okay to have a non-white person play a white person's role.

I think the best person for the role should play that role. I'm for equality. I don't mind Tessa Thompson playing Valkyrie even though that character has always been white. I also don't mind that Tilda Swinton is playing a character that's always been Asian.

If whitewashing is bad, then non-whitewashing is bad as well. I think that's equality, treating everyone equally.

23. Kiana

I feel like this implies that everyone is at the same starting point tho. White ppl are already starting ahead so the playing field is not equal to begin with, and white ppl getting poc's roles just deepen the inequality. White ppl see themselves represented in everything. It is not the same for poc. When a white person takes a poc's role they are snatching the small amount of representation poc even have in film. It is not true for the reverse.

Jason Tate and Nick like this.
  24. skurt

Sleekest of beaks. So Good.

Basically couldn't put it better myself.

MrRobot and Nick like this.
  25. Kiana May 21, 2016
    (Last edited: May 21, 2016)
    Kiana

Like all anyone has to do is look up statistics about representation in film to see the disparity. The roles for poc are slim and then they can't even get the roles written for them. White ppl get an overwhelming number of roles written for them and then get even more roles that aren't meant for them. If anyone thinks that's equality then :tear: