Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Reports: Chester Bennington Has Died • Page 9

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 20, 2017.

1. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

I've always thought about how much pain someone has to be in to hang themselves instead of ODing or something. Artist's can have the darkest demons which is why their art can touch so many people. This is right below how devastating losing Elliot Smith was for me. This is going to stay with me for a while. I'm blowing up this thread, I just don't know who else to talk to about it. I can't wrap my brain around it. I'm not really into their stuff anymore kind of like I'm not into Incubus anymore but Chester was something special and he has a special place in my heart.

2. oneeightytwo

Regular

Chris Prindle likes this.
  3. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

I don't have a whole lot to add that hasn't already been said, but this is so sad and impacting me much more than I would have thought. My dad is a huge LP fan and we used to listen to them in the car all the time. He always told me they were great because they were different and unafraid to take risks. They bridged the gap and probably are the reason it was possible for me to find my first favorite band (Evanescence.) No LP, no Evanescence, no me getting into music. On a whole other level, as someone who suffers from depression, these stories are never easy to read. I can only hope that anyone reading this and also struggling with mental health issues knows that there are so many resources available to help.

4. rosesforthedead

I can't echo others with how much this has saddened me. I never met my dad much when i was younger, but one of the few times i did i vividly remember him burning me a copy of hybrid theory and green days 'international superhits'. Without either of those albums its arguable that i would be a completely different person. Without hybrid theory in particular it is extremely likely i wouldn't have enjoyed all the music, gigs and festivals that have defined and shaped my life to this point. As others have said it was another 'gateway' record into the heavy scene that i have taken so much enjoyment from and owe a great deal too. Chris Cornell hit me pretty hard, but this feels devastating. The amount his music has helped me throughout the years makes this hard to take. He will be missed massively and i hope the impact of his life is felt for many years.

I'm so sad i didn't spend the £60ish it was to see them in London the other week now, as oneeightytwo said it doesn't seem so expensive now.

oneeightytwo and AelNire like this.
  5. DisloyalOrder

Trusted Prestigious

LP is/was the gateway band for a lot of people; they are the first band many kids get into when trying to get into rock. Chester was a big part of that, and that can never be taken away from them despite opinions about their output. It's so unfortunate to see how crippling depression can be.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  6. Hugo G. Jul 20, 2017
    (Last edited: Jul 20, 2017)
    Hugo G.

FKA whiterussian Supporter

Yeah, LP made me start caring deeply about music and general back when I was like 12.
    They stayed close to my heart for a long time.
    What a lot of us knew, A Thousand Suns for me personally confirmed to the final degree - that these people are indeed special, with big musical hearts and minds and capable of the most amazing things. They earned an open mind from me, always.

I'm so sad about this. He seemed to be doing so well. The struggle seems to never end.
    Let us remember that he cared for all who were unwell, and wanted us to know we are not alone.

7. jrock920

Regular

truly a legend R.I.P my heart goes out to his family and friends

8. duermete

Long Lost Ceiling

When I was in middle school and early high school I was bullied every day. Punched, spat on, made fun of. My bus rides I used to huddle in a seat blasting Hybrid Theory and Godsmack to block it out. Their songs meant the world to me. I saw Chester and Mike as a distant version of friends. Even though fifteen years later I am in a different place, this completely brings me back. I wish that the people any kid looks up to knew exactly how much they meant, even if they never met the people they helped. Thanks Chester (and the rest of the band) for giving me the chance to find solace and escape in your music and I regret not being able to share that with you in person.

angrycandy, Oskarr, polyfilla and 6 others like this.
  9. josh-

Twitter: @joshcaraballin

Crushing. LP was my first favorite band. Truly heartbreaking. Just listened to "waiting for the end" and it was too much.

duermete likes this.
  10. Guys Named Todd

Regular Prestigious

I'll never forget when my friend Chris invited me over to listen to Hybrid Theory after stealing it from his brother's dorm. We blasted it and played Tony Hawk pretty much every dat for the whole schop year. It became one of those albums that shaped the way I think about music and really helped me form my tastes at a time when my parents would only let me listen to Christian artists.

11. AllenRicketts

Regular

Such a uniquely talented person. I remember sending my copy of Hybrid Theory to my sister's boyfriend who got sent to Iraq in the initial invasion, it was my most prized possession so I hoped it meant a lot. My cousin took me top Best Buy to get Meteora when it came out and we jammed the whole thing on the drive home. So many good memories thanks to Chester and LP. I feel so bad. RIP.

12. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

Such a terrible loss, even worse knowing it was a suicide. My thoughts are with his family he left behind and his band mates that have their lives forever changed.

13. If you or someone you know is looking for help, please call and/or share these numbers:

* Trans Lifeline: 877-565-8860
    * Suicide Prevention: 800-273-8255
    * Domestic Violence: 800-799-7233
    * Crisis Text Line: Text HELLO to 741741

14. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

terribly sad and hard to grasp that this was just five days ago.

RIP Chester.

My first memory of Linking Park: their commercial for their first single / album being released. and it was always, always, always shown right after a commercial for Insane Clown Posse. No idea how the hell they got tied together with them for that marketing stint, but as LP continued on that commercial combo became funnier and funnier.

Will always appreciate and respect LP for what they did and how long they lasted and adapted. Never envisioned coming home from work and reading something like this.

15. bd007h

chorus.fm's resident Meg Myers fan #GoSabres/Bills

On Chris Cornell's 53rd birthday, too :-/. They were close friends :uhoh:

RIP

16. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Still in shock by this news. Their music had such an influence on me over the years, probably the most out of any band. RIP.

17. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Sounds like the band was having a photo shoot today. Someone on my FB who lives in LA, had someone comment on their post about how she was supposed to be doing his makeup today at the shoot.

Ugh, this is just so sad.

18. pauldunions

Regular Supporter

So fucking sad

19. ZeoVGM

Regular

It's honestly hard for me to put into words how sad I am about this. Without exaggeration, I have been holding back tears since the news broke. If I weren't at work until midnight, I likely would have broken down by now.

Though all their changes in sound, Linkin Park remained a one of "my" bands growing up and to this day. I don't think I even really realized that until people started messaging me to say they were sorry, as if I knew Chester personally.

I am absolutely heartbroken.

SmithBerryCrunch likes this.
  20. I wasn't going to listen to them today but I am and I started to sob instantly. This is really hard. My dad rang me earlier and he's been upset and angry as well. God, this is awful. I can't talk about how much Chester has meant to me just yet, it's too raw. Please, please get help if you feel like there's no light or purpose. There is. This is so tragic and like others have said, as someone who suffers from mental illness, even worse to hear about it being suicide. RIP Chester :heart:

21. Saephon

Regular

Linkin Park made me into the music lover I am today. They're the reason I started exploring heavier music at all. This is still almost too hard to believe.

RIP :(

Edit: Spotify has a pretty good playlist up in remembrance; it has some great selections across their discography. Crying to it at the moment.

Mary V and SmithBerryCrunch like this.
  22. ZeoVGM

Regular

Started a complete discography playthrough while at work. I just hit "My December" on Hybrid Theory and boy, is this one rough.

sophos34 likes this.
  23. honkytonk

Narcissism on narcotics

"And the shadow of the day will embrace the world in grey, and the sun will set for you."

bd007h likes this.
  24. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Ugh this sucks

So what was the discussion that led to "Heavy?"

When we wrote this one it was me and Brad (Delson) and Chester (Bennington) from the band and [songwriters] Justin Tranter and Julia Michaels. And I remember Chester walked in and it was, "Hey, how are you doing today?" and he's like, "OH, I'm fine," and we were hanging out for a minutes and he was like, "Y'know what? I have to be honest. I'm NOT fine. I'm NOT OK. Too much stuff is just happening to me. I just feel underwater." It was like that saying "when it rains it pours;" It's that kind of feeling that stuff is piling up one on top of the other, and it creates this feeling of just being overwhelmed, like, "Things feel so heavy to me..."

FTank likes this.
  25. ZeoVGM

Regular

This is the best video I've seen so far that gives us some real insight into his mind near the end.

It should be time stamped at 20:31. He specifically talks about his depression in detail, while also being able to laugh about a number of things.

sophos34 and SmithBerryCrunch like this.