Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Reports: Chester Bennington Has Died • Page 5

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 20, 2017.

1. ramres

Next Show: Panchiko -- 5/3

I'm the odd man out here, but A Thousand Suns is my favorite album of theirs and I've always liked most of what they put out. This sucks so bad. Especially feeling for a close friend of mine whose favorite band is Linkin Park. Had bought tickets to see them soon for his birthday. Anyways, love you Chester.

2. Noradrenaline

Regular

I can't. I just can't. Hybrid Theory and Meteora defined those years. Both for me and music in general.

I was going to see them live in 2007 but they cancelled, and after Minutes to Midnight I kind of lost interest. Was supposed to see them play Hybrid Theory in full at Download Festival 2014. I was there in 2013 but ended up not being able to go in 2014 because of financial issues (going from Sweden to a festival in the UK is not cheap). I'm so sad I never got to see them live.

BTDandFeelingThis likes this.
  3. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

There will never be a single year of my life in which more album dominates than Minutes to Midnight did when I was in middle school.

Joe4th, aranea, Nate_Johnson and 4 others like this.
  4. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

This is so true.

5. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

Next to HT that's my favorite Linkin Park record. I think that's where a lot of people jumped off but some great stuff on there. Every Linkin Park album after Meteora was a reaction to the one before it. Minutes To Midnight was to prove that they weren't beholden to rap-rock. A Thousand Suns was to correct the fact the Minutes To Midnight wasn't cohesive enough. Living Things was made to reel in the experimentation of A Thousand Suns to be more song-oriented. The Hunting Party was a reaction to the slick product/synth-stylings of Living Things and, finally, One More Light was the polar opposite of The Hunting Party. Great discography and really sad that we won't get to see this band progress into middle age.

ramres likes this.
  6. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

wow wtfff

RIP. so sad. Heartbreaking

7. spencpants

Can I pet your dog? Prestigious

Goddammit

8. estacey99

Oh yeah, oh yeah, everything is terrible.

absolutely gutted. First band I really got into as a kid, obsessed with Hybrid and Meteora and especially got into A Thousand Suns the most when it came out. I can only hope he's found peace now

AelNire likes this.
  9. Piercalicious

Regular

This band was such an obvious bridge to this scene for me. Like a lot of people I kind of drifted away from them over the years and felt like they became a bit of a trope, but my appreciation for what they helped establish really clicked for me when they played Warped and had all of those vocalist come out and play with them. This is so, so sad.

studskalny, Nate_Johnson and AelNire like this.
  10. somethingliketj

And that's why you always leave a note.

My heart hurts. What a frontman. Hybrid Theory had such a big impact on teenage me.

11. somethingliketj

Not important.

12. somethingliketj

Mike Shinoda confirmed it on Twitter about half an hour ago too.

AelNire and BTDandFeelingThis like this.
  13. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

Definitely not the odd man out. Probably the most liked/talked about record of theirs on this site

CMilliken and ramres like this.
  14. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Not at all. It's pretty much the only album of their's I still throw on. For a band in a genre that basically doesn't encourage any type of creativity, it was a bold artistic statement. I love it.

ramres and electro haikus like this.
  15. ZooZooChaCha

Trusted Supporter

Such an amazing voice. The early screaming stuff, but then the softer side too. I remember downloading "My December" on Limewire or Kazaa back in the day and just being blown away how good his voice was.

16. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

The more this sinks in the more I realize how much of an influence Chester and LP was on my music tastes now.

17. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

I guess because I didn't follow their music/lyrics, I didn't realize he suffered from depression. Depression is so far-reaching, it sucks so much. I feel so bad for what he had to have been going through to make a decision like this. I also extend my condolences to his children and family. Absolutely heartbreaking.

18. fran.182

Regular Prestigious

Truly shocked. R.I.P.

This is the first time I go through an important artist of my formative years dying.

I love Minutes To Midnight... Plus their first two records bring me back to being a child since LP used to be my brother's favorite band. So many little memories and moments attached to his great voice...

19. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

Hayley had just opened up about her depression recently too. Never know who could have it. Times like this really make you reflect.

20. aniafc

Trusted

Definitely not fake. Mike made this tweet:

21. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

Minutes to Midnight as actually one of the first albums I ever owned. Dug that so much when I was 11 or 12, then only ever listened to Meterora, which I fucking love. The influence they had over the genre, and over the band's I love, is so obviously huge. This fucking sucks. Just lost for words over it...

22. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

It could have very likely been one of the reasons and could have made his depression worse. Having the people you want to satisfy only end up trashing your work can hurt.

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  23. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

is there any sort of interview or link where he talks about this?

24. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Nothing where he states that he is depressed over it, but he has recently been quick to anger when it comes to fans not liking his new music and only wanting his old stuff. He obviously got pretty emotional over it.

25. honkytonk Jul 20, 2017
    (Last edited: Jul 20, 2017)
    honkytonk

Narcissism on narcotics

On Chris Cornell's birthday; I'm reading that the two were close friends. What an incredibly sad thing to hear. Say what you will about LP's recent work, but the music world has just lost an iconic voice behind some defining albums for the musical development of so many people, myself included. Growing up with Linkin Park, this is devastating to hear.

AelNire likes this.