Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Reports: Amazon Preparing Music Streaming Service

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Reuters is reporting that Amazon is preparing to launch their own, standalone, streaming music service:

The service will be offered at $9.99 per month, in line with major rivals, and it will offer a competitive catalog of songs, the sources said. Amazon is finalizing licenses with labels for the service, which likely will be launched in late summer or early fall, the sources said.

2. nicholas

Interesting.

3. JohnR831

Regular

I don't think I could ever get on board with only using a streaming service for my music listening. It's great for discovery, but I wouldn't want my music library dependent on the streaming service not having a contract dispute with labels or artists. Music seems to come and go from these services (e.g. In Rainbows on Spotify). I think I would always want my music downloaded outside of a streaming service.

Raku, MrRobot and carlosonthedrums like this.
  4. 383whitez

I actually like not having to have my iPod or worry about downloading a ton of music. I haven't had many issues with music disappearing other than maybe once or twice. It is kind of annoying though to go back to an artist and find that half of their albums are now gone. I'm not sure how successful amazon will be at this either. I think their prime movie service is a mess compared to netflix so it'll be interesting to see what they come up with.

JohnR831 and ilikedesigning like this.
  5. Mister Lyrical

Forging Clarity Supporter

If it came with Amazon Prime that'd be cool, but if it's not, I don't see what they could do to persuade people away from Spotify or Apple Music.

justinbullock and Raku like this.
  6. Eric

Regular

I honestly thought they had their own streaming service already

7. Callum Macleod

Do or do not, there is no try.

They have Prime Music, but it has a very limited library and I think it's only with a Prime Membership - no stand alone subscription (I think).

Eric likes this.
  8. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I'm the same way. To make matters worse, now bands/artists are doing exclusives with certain streaming services so if you're only paying for one, you're not always getting the new stuff. I don't go anywhere without my iPod and I keep my iPod updated all the time with new stuff while carrying all the old stuff I've had since I was a kid.

JohnR831 likes this.
  9. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

I just left Amazon music left week for Spotify due to the lacking library. If this came with Prime, it'd be worth it. If not, then I don't see the point.