Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Report: Spotify Considers Restricting Biggest Releases to Paid Users

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Jordan Kahn, writing for 9to5Mac:

Spotify is considering a move that would mean some of its biggest new releases will be restricted to paid users, according to a new report from Financial Times. The decision would come as part of a negotiation with record labels that would reduce the amount of royalties Spotify pays for songs and also allow the company to prepare for an initial public offering.

This has always felt inevitable.

2. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

I mean, why wouldn't they?

shawnhyphenray likes this.
  3. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Maybe this will encourage more people to check out more lesser known artists since they won't have easy access to the big names? Probably not, but one can dream.

Raku, Turkeylegz and SEANoftheDEAD like this.
  4. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Yeah, I mean, this makes sense.

5. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I was ready to be outraged for some reason (idk lol) and then I was like wait I pay for spotify. So never mind. Ur welcome for this train of thought.

6. Quijiba

I think this is a good idea/kind of an inevitable conclusion. As long as its a timed exclusive I don't think its bad, and hopefully those that want those new releases just sign up and pay for the service then

7. morken

Not everything means something, honey Supporter

So, even less royalties for the artists? Great plan.

Raku likes this.
  8. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

I pay for Spotify (and am very happy with what it provides), but I'm not too fond of this move. Some people aren't quite as fortunate as myself and have relied on the free tier by listening to ads and helping generate (what little) revenue that way. Now on top of ads, they will be missing out on popular releases. I won't argue it doesn't make sense from a business model stand point, just kinda a bummer for those who this will effect.

9. duritzfan13

all we have is time

I'd back this if it meant raising the royalty payout on streams from subscribers. I already pay so this won't affect me.. but this could (and should) easily be used as a tactic to bring more money to the artist, not make it even worse.

10. Iamhollywood315

Regular

I'm still bitter about Rdio. I hate Spotify

cybele, FTank and I Am Mick like this.
  11. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

still mostly do not use spotify. this will likely just hurt small artists especially. exploitative company

12. randomisor

If that happens, how likely is it that we'd see Taylor Swift back on Spotify? Or has that boat already sailed long ago.....

13. AMC

Regular

i'm actually shocked the bigger artists don't make their albums exclusive for purchase for at least one week before releasing to streaming sites. Even Good Charlotte held their last release from streaming on google play for one week. you had to purchase album for that period of time.

14. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

yooo family plan. it's pretty cheap and you can have up to 5 people on a paid account, iirc. I bet their IPO will be pretty high. 1.4 billion ? I mean snapchat's was 30 bil but they have a lot more users.

15. Sander

kflkmflkm

there shouldn't be a free tier to begin with