Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Relient K Band • Page 99

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

I really wish Five Scores clicked with me more, so much to love about it.

zachmacD likes this.
  2. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

There's a stretch in the late-middle of Five Score that I don't love, but that album has some damn bangers on it

3. Five Score remains my favorite album. Nostalgia plays a lot into it as it's the album that clicked the most with me the first time I went through their discography.

JRGComedy likes this.
  4. aspeedomodel

I have been a massive RK fan since the beginning and they are special to me for various reason, but I consistently forget half the songs on Five Scores exist and when I remember I go "Oh...yeah that one is fine, I guess". It has some amazing tracks and starts off REALLY strong, but ultimately I would put like 3-4 songs on a playlist or return to them, the rest I'm fine with.

JRGComedy likes this.
  5. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Yeah I agree that the production is dope though! Deathbed probably wouldn't work as well on any other album

6. m9tt

heaven knows what i am

My hypothesis is that it's RK's worst-sequenced album.

I don't know how else to put it, but songs like Best Thing, Forgiven, and Give feel like back-half songs and songs like Faking My Own Suicide, Bite My Tongue, and Up and Up feel more like mid-album songs.

Someone smarter than myself could probably come up with a more natural tracklisting.

aspeedomodel likes this.
  7. aspeedomodel

I think this might be it, songs feel sort of out of place I just forget they are even there.

8. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

Come Right Out and Say It and Up and Up are two of my favorite RK songs

Lucas27 and awakeohsleeper like this.
  9. I have zero problems with that album's sequencing or anything, so I find the conversation interesting all of a sudden

SpyKi likes this.
  10. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

It's not the sequencing, I think cut Forgiven, I'm Taking You With Me, and Crayons Can't Melt and that's automatically a better record. I don't dislike the songs, they're just kind of eh

aspeedomodel likes this.
  11. Forgiven is one of my favorite songs and I love I'm Taking You WIth Me too. I'm heartbroken :'(

JRGComedy and SpyKi like this.
  12. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

It's their second best/most consistent album to me after FANSD.

Crisp X likes this.
  13. latortuga

Regular

In here rn because of this talk about the streaming services only having the "gold edition" and I didn't even know that was a thing. Started Anatomy just now, and it sounds ..... cleaner? I see it was mixed by the same people as mmhmm, which I do like. I don't know, it doesn't have the scrappy charm of high school 2002 for me. I still have both on CD and that's what I've listened to for years so I guess it doesn't matter much. It's just a bit jarring.

14. aspeedomodel

Yeah, I feel like Anatomy's was pretty jarring. Two Lefts less so, I've never been bothered by them but definitely think I prefer Anatomy's original mix.

15. mmhmm

Trusted Prestigious

16. sammyboy516

Trusted Prestigious

17. mmhmm

Trusted Prestigious

Instagram, 1981 Inventions

18. Lucas27

Trusted

I love how much Five Score has been talked about here. I put it at #4 right behind MMHMM, Forget, and AFF, but it definitely has a uniquely epic feel to it for me that makes it stand out. And I'm with another poster who said it makes them happy. If there weren't a handful of songs ("I Need You," "The Best Thing," "Give") that are simply fine, it might have been their masterpiece for me.

awakeohsleeper and JRGComedy like this.
  19. SpyKi

Five Score is probably my number 2 just because of how consistent it is.

20. HelloThisIsDog

Trusted

The bass line on Must Have Done Something Right is so fun

Crisp X and JRGComedy like this.
  21. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Bite My Tongue and Up and Up back to back is such a great 7 minutes

m9tt likes this.
  22. mmhmm

Trusted Prestigious

The mmhmm vinyl repress sold like 350 copies in one day...maybe 80 left. Crazy

23. sammyboy516

Trusted Prestigious

There are a lot of things I love about Five Score but when it came out I found it to be really overproduced. That word is overused but as a kid in love with pop-punk at the time, obsessed with Two Lefts and Mmhmm, I just didn’t like how slick and shiny Five Score sounded, and I still kind of don’t. However, it is a lot easier to palate the “poppiness” of Five Score now that Collapsible Lung exists, lol.

I do like the album and Deathbed will always be an awesome song. However, has anyone else ever noticed that at the end of the song when John Foreman sings as Jesus, his lines end with, “and through Me you’ll live again” and then Thiessen ends the song by singing “For I am Love...” but it’s obviously still supposed to be Jesus talking? That has always bothered me lol.

MrAirplane, Zilla and Lucas27 like this.
  24. Lucas27

Trusted

Lol, you’re right. Matt’s messiah complex just kicks in at the last minute.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  25. SpyKi

The production on Five Score has always been preferable to the pop punk sound of their earlier albums for me.

Crisp X and Slangster like this.