Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Relient K Band • Page 86

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Bryan Diem

Trusted

People want to act like they're better than pop music

2. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

Self titled is the one album I do put below CL.

3. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

I agree that those two songs are better than anything on the self-titled, however I enjoy the self-titled album as a whole more than I do CL. :shrug:

There are songs I love on the self-titled and I have a lot of good memories of that album that put it over CL for me.

4. Bryan Diem

Trusted

CL is like the first two post-hiatus FOB albums. I love a few songs, I don't like a lot of them, but I appreciate what it did for their sound and the lessons they learned from it outweigh my grievances.

Doomsday and aspeedomodel like this.
  5. aspeedomodel

It's funny, because I think I'm more of the opposite. I give their self-titled some leeway because it's their first, but with CL I knew they were better than it, especially lyrically. Album was a step-back in literally every way for the band, after FANSD that's a huge knock to me.

6. Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

Yeah going from FANSD to CL was a really rollercoaster of a bummer. Not that I hated CL, but man I wanted an album that was an evolution/progress from the former.

7. Doomsday

Trusted Prestigious

CL came out when I first graduated high school, and everything in my life felt like a carefree roller coaster ride. I went on a trip with friends right after I bought it and I remember driving around and partying on beaches with that as my soundtrack. I love how it sounds, I don't care about the sometimes bad lyrics and it reminds me of a simpler time so it will always hold a special place in my heart I guess

8. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I respect that. It's the lyrics that mostly put me off.

Doomsday likes this.
  9. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

CL lyrics was the band taking like 10 steps back. It’s atrocious. The music is fine. I just need more than that though. Sadly CL has very little to offer lyrically.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  10. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Also came out the year I graduated high school and I still associate it with that summer. Was my ex-girlfriend's favorite RK album too

Doomsday likes this.
  11. mmhmm

Trusted Prestigious

The first run of Matt Hoopes' guitar pedal was released late yesterday, but sold out in about 9 hours...in case people are interested in this kind of thing--apparently this pedal replicates guitar tones found on mmhmm and Forget and Not Slow Down, so that's fun. Hand-made by Hoopes:

DRV

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  12. sammyboy516

Trusted Prestigious

I’m listening to Two Lefts on vinyl and man, what a solid pop-punk album.

13. mmhmm

Trusted Prestigious

JRGComedy, aspeedomodel and seimagery like this.
  14. aspeedomodel

Just snagged one myself.

15. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

This compilation from back in the day with 4 Matthew Thiessen and the Earthquakes songs that hasn’t been on Apple Music / Spotify is now up. Good stuff.

jorbjorb likes this.
  16. mmhmm

Trusted Prestigious

I'd be surprised if there was a CD option. Maybe a tour-exclusive though.

17. exanctile

Fight the long defeat.

Bit of a long shot, but does anyone have access to a digital booklet .pdf for Forget?

18. contra11mundum

Robert Gay, who played trumpet on Matt’s new album, was answering some questions on the subreddit and mentioned that RK is on hiatus and he doesn’t know when/if they’ll come back from it.

So there’s that.

19. sammyboy516

Trusted Prestigious

I wonder how much truth their is to that. I feel like they’re just between tours and albums. Unless there’s something the band just hasn’t said, which is entirely possible, if not likely with this band lol.

20. chhholly123

i’ve been meaning to tell you

Kinda weird that they didn't post anything about the Earthquakes release on the RK instagram... Hoopes posts about 1981 all the time.

21. contra11mundum

I mean, I’m not taking it too seriously given that RK has been on hiatus and on the verge of breaking up numerous times in the past.

I’ve come to appreciate that they kind of just make music and tour when they feel like it.

But the way he said it made it seem more serious or something. Idk.

Definitely hope to hear more from them in the future.

In the meantime, absolutely loving this Earthquakes album.

awakeohsleeper and chhholly123 like this.
  22. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I think it's just because there has been nothing anywhere at all promoing the Earthquakes album, Matt just isn't promo-ing it anywhere (RK social included). I'm sure we'll get a post like, in a month "out now!" hahahaha

contra11mundum likes this.
  23. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

RK definitely posted about it like a month ago, that's how I found out about the album

irthesteve likes this.
  24. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

there ya go!

25. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

If this is it (which I doubt), I'm just glad that they didn't end on Collapsible Lung. Air For Free was a brilliant release.

I think they'll just be quiet again for a few years and then return if and when they fancy it. They can do what they want at this point. I know Hoopes had a baby - you've got to do what's right for your family and if time off is right for him then I'm all for it.