Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Relient K Band • Page 118

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

[​IMG]

2. Penlab

Trusted Supporter

If one of those few fun things would be a new album, that'd just be swell.

contra11mundum likes this.
  3. cyclones_37

I built this vessel and it could capsize anytime Supporter

upload_2022-11-18_8-24-49.png

I got so excited thinking this was real. At least Hoopes said updates are coming. New music and/or a tour would be amazing

Edit: Maybe I shouldn't post it either, unintentionally getting other's hopes up too lol

chewbacca110 and Brent like this.
  4. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

Missed their last tour due to COVID and babysitter canceling, had tickets and everything. Would love for another tour/record. I'll take anything.

5. mmhmm

Trusted Prestigious

6. sammyboy516

Trusted Prestigious

Collapsible Lung will be 10 years old this year. Truly mind boggling.

Time has not changed my opinion. I still think it’s genuinely awful and one of the most disappointing albums released in my lifetime lol. I get angry every time I see/hear someone defend it. The discussions that pop up on Reddit every now and then where people try to say it has a “hidden meaning” and that it’s a “concept album” about Matt falling into sin and then coming back to God are hilarious and make me want to drive a nail through my skull at same time. I’ve seen more than one person say that the mainstream pop style was used by the band on purpose as a metaphor for Matt living a “worldly” lifestyle at that time. The biggest stretch I’ve ever heard of lol.

Paulms85 likes this.
  7. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I enjoy it, but it does feel like a Matt solo album more than RK, which is fine. The title track and Don't Blink are actually great though, and stand alongside the best RK tracks.

8. contra11mundum

I hated it when it came out lol. Now I enjoy it for what it is. Like Steve said, Don’t Blink and the title track are RK all timers. And there are 4 or 5 solid pop songs and couple duds. Wild that it’s 10 this year.

irthesteve likes this.
  9. contra11mundum

Remember when we thought 4 years between RK albums was a long time? Lol

10. sammyboy516

Trusted Prestigious

Don’t Blink is good. Collapsible Lung, for me, is almost good minus the “it’s a good time 100% of the time” line which is just bad to me lol. The rest I haven’t gone back to in a long time.

11. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

I haven’t listened to Collapsible Lung all the way through in 5+ years. Don’t Blink and the title track have been main stays on my big random shuffle playlists since the album came out, but everything else I barely remember at this point. Maybe I’ll listen again. I remember liking it more than a lot of people, but I definitely don’t think it’s something I can defend (especially with weird religious reasoning). When it came out I was honestly just happy that the band released something since it had been awhile. I was half convinced they just decided to ghost everyone and were never gonna release anything again.

12. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

Having completed a discography run at the end of last year, I can safely say the album is still hot trash and embarrassing. Reddit can go fuck themselves, they did not intentionally have terrible lyrics on the album for some hidden message. They wrote with pop writers. The songs they wrote themselves are night and day. The pop writers did help craft pop songs, but they’re shallow nonsense. Which does make sense, given the writers, but what a horrendously poor decision by the Matt’s to release those songs as Relient K. To go from their most personal/emotional album to pop nonsense about hooking up and such, Major yikes.

my only positive memory about its release is that I put my very negative opinion of it on my Facebook. I am also friends with the Punchline guys on Facebook. Steve commented on my post with something like, “oh no.” Which looking back is just very funny to me cause I know they were friends. I felt a little bad, but it was my honest opinion.

13. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Title track and Don’t Blink are solid and I also fuck with Lost Boy and When You Were My Baby

14. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

Title track is good but the rest of that album is a complete joke.

dylan likes this.
  15. contra11mundum

Speaking of RK anniversaries, Two Lefts is TWENTY this year…

awakeohsleeper and MrAirplane like this.
  16. sammyboy516

Trusted Prestigious

And it, in comparison, is one of my favorite pop-punk albums ever released.

Paulms85 and contra11mundum like this.
  17. [​IMG]

18. contra11mundum

[​IMG]

19. JRShoenberger

Trusted

Don’t Blink and Collapsible Ling are top tier RK tracks for me. The rest is truly bottom tier.

20. wood&wire

just one of those ghosts

Kinda forgot Collabsible lung was a thing that exists ha

But Two Lefts was the first pop-punk album I ever heard and still feels like magic whenever I listen to it.

21. Doomsday

Trusted Prestigious

I still love Collapsible Lung mostly

22. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

My kids love Collapsible Lung, specifically Boomerang. My opinion on it is the same. Two or three great songs, a bunch of good pop songs, one or two terrible tracks.

I play it every once in a while. I was personally more disappointed by Five Scores at release haha.

23. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Yeah I like most of CL even if it only has a few great songs, I'd still take it over Anatomy or the self-titled. Definitely glad they bounced back with Air for Free though.

Benjamin Lee likes this.
  24. Doomsday

Trusted Prestigious

Songs nobody mentions that I really like are When You Were My Baby, Sweeter and Disaster

Benjamin Lee and SpyKi like this.
  25. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

I honestly think Can’t Complain and Gloria are the only truly bad songs on CL. The bookends are great, I like Sweetness and Disaster a lot, then the rest are just kind of middling pop songs imo. They aren’t bad, I don’t skip them, but I also don’t actively return to them much.

Oh, and the bonus track with Owl City is god awful which is a shame because I actually really love their other collaboration Terminals.