Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Relient K Stream New Album • Page 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Ryan G

Moderator Moderator

I believe @Craig Ismaili is reviewing it.

2. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

There's a possibility I may not be able to get to it by Friday. Assuming that worst case scenario comes true, would you want to review it?

3. Will Montei

Seems like since the transition this site has been much less review-oriented. What's up with that?

4. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

Still in transition first of all, so a lot of other staff members haven't really made the transition as of yet to writing and creating content for the site (part of that is by design, since I know Jason really wanted to focus on nailing the news feed from the get go on the new site and I believe he has done that). And then another thing is it's quite labor intensive to do a review for an album when a lot of times you are just repeating a lot of the same things everyone else is saying. @Jason Tate talks a little bit about this in this week's podcast.

But if I'm going to write a review of something, I want it to be a deep dive into some aspect of the record you couldn't get elsewhere in a 200-400 word paint-by-numbers review you'd see on some other publications. And that kind of perspective takes time and often can't be done before an album comes out. And then with how quickly people move on from discussing each album that comes out, you run the risk of the album you just spent all that time working on a valuable and interesting critique on being fairly irrelevant to the large conversation by the time you release that critique or analysis. And that's a huge bummer.

So, yeah, reviews haven't completely gone away from the site, I'm sure, and we'll probably ramp up to more I think in the future. But for right now, they are definitely of lesser priority than interesting news posts, and the occasional visual or audio stimulus (photo galleries or playlists).

If I had more free time, and who knows, maybe after I take the LSAT in September I will, I would love to bring back more long-form articles/features to the site, or at least have us do more Op-Eds like we did a lot more of last summer and which I found highly readable and really successful within our community.

Luroda likes this.
  5. Will Montei

The "deep dive" is part of the reason I always visit this site. I'm glad to hear they aren't going away entirely. I'm not being critical at all, I was just worried I'd have to look for a new source for reviews of the smaller acts this site typically covers. The work you guys put in is not taken for granted.

6. Ryan G

Moderator Moderator

I still can't wrap my thoughts around it yet and I'm super busy with a work event this week, so I'm not going to review this one.

7. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

Okay I'll try and get something done tomorrow. If not I'll just have to wait to post till next weekend

Ryan Gardner likes this.