Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Relient K - Air For Free Album • Page 41

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by irthesteve, Apr 13, 2016.

1. mmhmm

Trusted Prestigious

Totally agree about it not sounding cohesive.

2. I disagree completely with that assessment. It's built very intentionally as an album. Sequencing and thematically.

3. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

4. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

The ONLY way it doesn't sound cohesive is if you listen to the vinyl-order, THAT order is a complete mess

aspeedomodel and contra11mundum like this.
  5. mmhmm

Trusted Prestigious

Different perspectives are fun :)

6. Kevin360

Someday I’ll find me Prestigious

Ha. I like the vinyl order more.

cyclones_37 likes this.
  7. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

the vinyl track list is literally like, "here are 4 EPs that we decided to put on 4 sides of records," definitely not "this is a 16 track album front to back"

aspeedomodel likes this.
  8. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I still prefer Forget And Not Slow Down but this is probably close second. Great to celebrate it.

I also believe we'll get an unexpected Relient K album in a few years time... I'm ok with them being less active and feel like they've handled this quiet a lot more gently than previous times.

9. stringerebrock

If we got another RK album, life would be complete. I listen to their discography all the time.

10. balloon.pilot

Regular

This thread has me re-listening to AFF. I think it is a great album...captures the "happy/sad" Relient K sound that was prominent on FANSD. I'm not sure how else to describe the sound but I think you probably all know what I mean?

I think if I were in charge I'd probably cut Mrs. Hippopotamuses' and Cat or have them as bonus tracks

Bryan Diem likes this.
  11. dylan

Most-liked person on chorus Supporter

i would really only ever listen to FANSD and most of MMHMM and that's about it and i say that as someone whose formative years on the internet was spent on their forum.

12. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

I still run the whole gauntlet for this band. I won't skip Hello McFly if it comes on, I still love Pressing On, and most of Three Lefts holds up

13. sammyboy516

Trusted Prestigious

Yes. They shaped my youth.

mmhmm and JRGComedy like this.
  14. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

I’ve consistently loved this band since I was in elementary school.

They are the band I’ve loved the longest.

Lucas27, aspeedomodel and mmhmm like this.
  15. mmhmm

Trusted Prestigious

Have always loved the raw production of the self-titled. Pittman's bass tone on that album might be the secret sauce.

JRGComedy likes this.
  16. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

Yeah, I still love all their albums and cycle through them. Anatomy is still my favorite, too many memories. Two Lefts is still a banger w/ some of their best songs.

Self titled has some gems as well, don't skip a song. Relient K were the first band I "discovered" for myself and the first CD I ever bought so they will always be special for me.

mmhmm likes this.
  17. zmtr

Trusted

I don't think I could pick between Two Lefts and Anatomy

mmhmm and aspeedomodel like this.
  18. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Two Lefts every day of the week for me... but probably because that was my entry point as a young teenager. (Anatomy has some strong songs though).

19. HelloThisIsDog

Trusted

I can't get in to their first two albums, but Pressin' On is a great track. Love everything from Two Lefts onward. Still need to give Collapsible Lung another try though. What are the best songs off CL?

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  20. zmtr

Trusted

I listened to them all day yesterday and yeah... Two Lefts actually beats it by a mile for me. The good songs on Anatomy are very good but the Two Lefts is pretty damn strong all the way through. A classic.

Lucas27 and awakeohsleeper like this.
  21. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

For me, the only songs I've properly returned to are Don't Blink (which is my favourite on that release) and Collapsible Lung. There's some merit in a few of the other songs, but I just can't be bothered to persevere when you've got albums as incredible as Forget And Not Slow Down, Air For Free and mmhmm that you can listen to and instantly enjoy.

SaveTheEarth likes this.
  22. Lucas27

Trusted

I enjoy every RK album to an extent, but Two Lefts... is really what the first two RK albums wish they were. My favorite thing about it is it’s the one album where them being a goofy pop punk band overlapped with them being a great band in general. The funny songs are even funnier.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  23. Lucas27

Trusted

Also I might have said this, but if CL didn’t exist, Relient K would have the strongest five album streak of any band I know.

SaveTheEarth likes this.
  24. Kevin360

Someday I’ll find me Prestigious

CL doesn't exist.

25. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

This has got me thinking... who does have the strongest five album streak?!