Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Relient K - Air For Free Album • Page 39

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by irthesteve, Apr 13, 2016.

1. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I personally like it better

2. Bryan Diem

Trusted

I somehow think it's more consistent these days haha. Also having a rearrangeable tracklist is a good flipside to the very flow-oriented forget tracklist

3. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

Air For Free is my favorite RK album.

Bryan Diem likes this.
  4. Bryan Diem

Trusted

This thing is filling me with a joy like none other, so I think it's safe to say this is my favorite as well as the best. forget is a great album that is really surprising. I also love 5 score aside from a few questionable moments

5. Slangster

Won "Best Hog" at the Hog Shit Snarfing Contest Supporter

I'll always like FANSD more because of the personal connection I have to it, but AFF is very very good

6. NitrateDawn

Regular

AFF has so many tracks that a couple of them are skippable (though not bad at all). That's a tiny tiny tiny issue I have with it that makes it only slightly below FANSD for me.

7. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Yeah like I'm not big on the song God and I feel goofy listening to a song about Cleveland that brags about the Browns and doesn't mention the Cavs at all.

8. NitrateDawn

Regular

Haha everyone seems to hate "God" but idk, I'm a Christian so I guess I'm more down for it. But the "Elephants on Parade" - "Mountaintop" stretch bogs it down just a tad for me.

9. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Haha actually I just have a problem with it from a songwriting standpoint, though the lyrics are a little too on-the-nose for me and are lame even from a Christian point of view. Elephant Parade is another one that I'm not huge on but the second half of it sure is awesome. Mountaintop is 100% jam tho

10. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Atheist here who loves "God". I think the album has a handful of throwaway tracks though and is still a notch below FANSD and Five Score for me personally. "Empty House" is the pinnacle of their career though.

Benjamin Lee likes this.
  11. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

I don’t really like “God” or “Prodigal”, but yeah, Empty House is a top 3 Relient k song of all time (idk for sure if it tops Curl Up And Die or (If You Want It) for me though). AFF is probably my second favorite RK record

JRGComedy likes this.
  12. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Empty House...man...that bridge...so beautiful. I dont think the closer is perfect but it's a great song regardless.

JRGComedy likes this.
  13. sammyboy516 Nov 12, 2017
    (Last edited: Nov 12, 2017)
    sammyboy516

Trusted Prestigious

AFF is weird for me because I only come back to some songs and there aren’t any i consider bad but it’s also very disjointed and doesn’t really feel like an album no matter what order you put it in. Like, there’s no songs i hate but every time i try to play it front to back i lose interest and either skip around or don’t finish it, which i never do with albums. But at the same time it had some of their strongest material.

mmhmm likes this.
  14. Bryan Diem

Trusted

This is not the take I expected from someone with that avatar

contra11mundum and Slangster like this.
  15. Bryan Diem

Trusted

What a coincidence, they just played Mountaintop during the pats game haha

16. mmhmm

Trusted Prestigious

Agreed.

17. contra11mundum

Most of this album still made my 2017 most played list on Spotify.

lish and awakeohsleeper like this.
  18. sammyboy516

Trusted Prestigious

I have come around on this album as a whole so much lately - maybe their best album. The vinyl track list makes it so much stronger and def should have been the official version.

19. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Nah I like that there's different tracklists, both are official

20. sammyboy516

Trusted Prestigious

Well yeah they’re both official but more people are gonna listen to it in the order it was released digitally than the order it’s in on the vinyl release. Thematically and sonically, it just sounds better to me and keeps me listening all the way through when I listen to the vinyl order. In that order, it feels like there isn’t any filler to me. It feels more like an album and less like a collection of random songs.

Bryan Diem likes this.
  21. cyclones_37

I built this vessel and it could capsize anytime Supporter

Agree that the vinyl order has a better flow, makes it easier to listen start to finish. Matt H said they wanted the album tracks grouped as 4 separate sets.

"We spent quite a long time sequencing this album, and while I'm very happy with the digital sequence, I wanted the vinyl to be a bit of a different experience. Listening to a recording on vinyl is a special thing by its very nature, there is a certain reverence that comes with it. The songs are grouped in specific themes, so that each of the four sides can stand alone and also flow on their own. I know sometimes I forget to flip the record or don't have time to listen to an entire album in one sitting. I wanted each side to feel like a part of the journey that is "Air For Free" but also to be an experience in an of itself."

Bryan Diem likes this.
  22. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Not a fan of the vinyl tracklist tbhhh

23. contra11mundum

Never listened to the vinyl track list but I think the standard track list is great. Wouldn’t really change it I don’t think.

24. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

Awesome little tidbit about “Empty House”

Thiessen: The interesting part, I suppose, is I didn’t play around with it very much. I didn’t know what to sing over the song, so I hit record and what I did is what the song is, what the one lead vocal is in the song. And then I was like, all right. I’m done. I threw an Auto-Tuner on it and some effects I have on my computer. I was like, great. It’s done

25. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

He should do that more often. Honestly my favourite Relient K song at this point.