Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Relient K - Air For Free Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by irthesteve, Apr 13, 2016.

1. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Out July 22, pre-order at relientk.com

[​IMG]

2. angel paste

grey hairs, get out of me zoots! Prestigious

:hearteyes:

3. zangxuma

thank i like Mountain Top :heart::heart:

4. irthesteve

I remember Marigold from a few years ago live, I think he mentioned that he was writing it for an album or project with his girlfriend at the time (now wife, I think), so I am curious how many songs from that project/album ended up here

5. irthesteve

Actually I was wrong, it wasn't Marigold, it was a song called Pot of Gold. Looks like he only ever played it this once, and it never ended up anywhere. Bummer because I like it

6. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I am very much looking forward to this. Haven't checked out Bummin' yet.

7. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I hope this sounds nothing like Collapsible Lung and a lot like Forget and Not Slow Down.

8. irthesteve

I'm more than happy with it sounding like the SONG "Collapsible Lung" or the opening track, but otherwise yeah I'm ready for a bit more Forget-ish stuff, but honestly just want it to be it's own thing, I'm really into the upbeat/somewhat-folk/summery feeling that I've gotten from this single and Look On Up

9. angel paste

grey hairs, get out of me zoots! Prestigious

Bummin' sounds like it would be on the album after FANSD

10. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

I didn't even know they were still making music together

11. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I didn't like Bummin'. It hurts my mmhmm loving heart to say that.

m9tt likes this.
  12. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

Bummin' is really good!

Yeah I did not like Collapsible Lung at all. This song is better than anything on there.

13. Slangster

Won "Best Hog" at the Hog Shit Snarfing Contest Supporter

Bummin' is really fun, very excited for this.

14. irthesteve

They low-key have been making music still, but definitely low low low key chill status

15. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

Meh, I didn't like "Bummin" at all. But I'll probably still give this a listen when it comes out

16. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I'm down for this. Should be good summer listening.

I honestly enjoy a lot on Collapsible Lung, though obviously FANSD is far and away their best. Also quite enjoy Five Score. Also think the demo version of "Jefferson Aeroplane" is easily a top 5 song of theirs.

Slangster likes this.
  17. CheapPop

Regular

Bummin sounds pretty good. Definitely better the anything on CL.

Stoked to check this out.

18. irthesteve

I know it was at the very end of the album, but all these "better than everything of CL" posts make me sad that no one seems to love this like I do

Cody Nelson and kidwithhelmet like this.
  19. CheapPop

Regular

Ok, I actually do like that song a lot. In all honesty, i completely forgot about it haha. but yeah I remember liking that one.

20. irthesteve

It so goooooooood

I also stand behind Don't Blink very much. Ironically, or not, they are the only two songs that the Matts didn't co-write

EDIT: Looks like Matt T was the only writer of Diaster as well, my bad. I think Disaster is a great song also. Alright, I just dig the album whatever

21. dylan

Most-liked person on chorus Supporter

the lyrics for bummin are a bummer. Not up to FANSD standards.

22. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I'd say 'Don't Blink' is my favourite from that album. Just love that song. I remember hearing it and being unbelievably excited for the album. Sadly that excitement collapsed as quickly as a collapsible lung ;-) There are some good songs but too many in the middle that just weren't what I expected to hear.

23. irthesteve

ChiliTacos likes this.
  24. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

Man, I think "Bummin'" is terrific. The hook is so inviting that it's hard to ignore, IMO.

I like parts of CL, but there are a few very sloppy and oddball filler tracks on there. Definitely has its moments though, like "Don't Blink," "Lost Boy," "When You Were My Baby," and the title track. The rest are all over the place, ranging from "fine, whatever, I guess" to "this is still Relient K?!"

25. Lucas27

Trusted

My general thoughts on Collapsible Lung:

Very few full songs on the album (outside of "Don't Blink" and the title track) stand out to me. But there are specific aspects of certain songs I really love. The general 80's vibe and the brooding guitar riff in the chorus of "If I Could Take You Home" is awesome. Really like the hook for "Lost Boy," radio friendly as it is. "Disaster" is probably my favorite song from a strictly musical perspective even though I think the lyrics are hideous. "When You Were My Baby" is pleasant, if boring. I also can't deny that the entirety of "Boomerang" is super catchy.

The rest of the songs could not exist and I would have no problems.