Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Rediscovering the "scene"

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Spenny, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Spenny

Regular

Hey everyone. A bit of a random topic, but I've been really wanting to try and rediscover some of the music I've missed over the past seven or eight years. After I graduated from high school, my music tastes shifted towards more pop/pop rock/indie rock music and I slowly stopped listening to music of what I did in high school. I want to take a trip back and catch up on some of the awesome new bands that have sprouted up since then, or the old classics that have put out good new music in the ensuing years.

Any recommendations in the pop-punk, post hardcore, emo, metalcore, pop rock, etc. space would be appreciated. Or even if you have a Spotify playlist of some great music you think I might dig, feel free to share the link. I'm gonna be read to filth for this, but to give you an idea of some of the stuff I really dug, a few examples:

last.fm scrobbles from the year 2009: Spennynub’s Library — Users at Last.fm

Spotify playlist of some jams from back in the day that I really enjoyed (with some songs creeping into the more recent years):

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Spenny

Regular

Bumping this back up. Been listening to a lot of old Anberlin and Valencia today and it’s making me yearn for music I might have missed haha.

3. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

Listen to PUP

Spenny and leerkat like this.
  4. TomG

Trusted Supporter

Tiny Moving Parts new album, Swell, is awesome.

Spenny likes this.
  5. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Have you heard Envy On the Coast's new EP from last year, Ritual? It seems like you're into them from your playlist, and imo that EP was a great comeback.

Spenny likes this.
  6. Kennedy

loomasleep.bandcamp.com Prestigious

ur gonna wanna listen to "Home Like Noplace Is There" by The Hotelier

Spenny, zmtr, beachdude42 and 2 others like this.
  7. lostawholeyear

Regular Prestigious

Gatsby's Volcano has been in heavy rotation for me lately. I hate myself for never seeing them live.

Spenny likes this.
  8. WasEmoRocknowImjustold Feb 4, 2018
    (Last edited: Feb 4, 2018)
    WasEmoRocknowImjustold

Not newbie, I think Supporter

I second Gatsby's Volcano. I find this site helpful, Music-Map - The Tourist Map of Music

Below are some of my tops that I continue going back to. We seem to have some similar tastes so you'll find something here if it's new to you and obviously if you dig any of them you can go deeper into their discographies.

Manchester Orchestra - Mean Everything to Nothing
    Underoath - Define The Great Line
    Midtown - Forget What You Know
    Say Anything - Is A Real Boy
    Boys Night Out - Trainwreck
    The Front Bottoms - Self Titled
    All Get Out - The Season
    The Wonder Years - The Greatest Generation
    I am the avalanche - I am the avalanche
    Tigers Jaw - Tigers Jaw
    Hot Mulligan
    Julien Baker

Spenny likes this.
  9. Spenny

Regular

Thanks for all of the recommendations everyone! I will slowly start working through listening to all of them that I haven’t listened to before.

Appreciate the reco! Listening to their self-titled album right now on my commute home and I’m getting a good first impression. Guilt Trip is enjoyable. Reservoir didn’t grip me at first but builds so well that I ended up liking it by the end. Excited to see where this goes.

Thanks! Listened to this the other day and enjoyed it. I feel like there was some definite highlights, mixed in with some generic as hell songs, but one listen alone isn’t enough for a great impression. I will give it another few spins this week.

TomG and Kingjohn_654 like this.