Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Reddit Is Removing Nazi and Alt-Right Groups

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Brianna Sacks, writing for Buzzfeed:

Reddit is purging Nazi, white supremacist, and other hate-based groups from its site as part of a new policy change announced Wednesday that targets and bans certain violent material.

The popular discussion site, which has struggled with how to monitor and remove vitriolic and offensive content in the past, said in a statement that it had decided to retool certain rules and regulations that were “too vague” and ban material that “encourages, glorifies, incites, or calls for violence or physical harm against an individual or a group of people.”

Gee, what a concept.

2. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Good. Maybe neo-nazis will stop going to Reddit and shitting up a lot of threads.

mattylikesfilms and fenway89 like this.
  3. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

It only took an eternity

Glad they're doing it though, I wonder if a certain character-based social networking website will commit to the same steps

fenway89 and h8bit like this.
  4. jco3

Regular

Does that mean that the the_don subreddit is going?

h8bit likes this.
  5. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

It wasn't listed but users who threaten other users will most likely be banned. I think they are currently banning users from both sides in the communism threads.

6. jorbjorb

7 rings

Just now?

7. nomemorial

you're in a cult, call your dad

Sheesh. Should have been done years ago.

8. AshlandATeam

Trusted

It is mind boggling that in 2017, these sorts of people still have an audience. Good for Reddit, I guess, but like everyone else, I just can't understand why it took this long.

nomemorial likes this.
  9. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Better late than never?

10. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

This is a ban on subreddits or individual posts that actively promote violence against other people or animals.

Whilst that subreddit is shitty, it won't be deleted, but heavily moderated as its purpose is technically not actively promoting violence, just idiocy.

FreshnessExpired likes this.
  11. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

ah, look, it only took reddit......... like a decade to slightly deplatform *some* of their nazi users

Jacob likes this.
  12. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

I do wonder if reddit could have gained any popularity if it took this stance from the get-go during the "wild west" days of the internet. Not that I care either way, I don't use the site, just kinda curious.

13. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

My guess is that Neo-Nazis were not as active 10 years ago as they are today and they certainly were not as influential. Sites like 4chan have always been full of edgy and angst teenagers but it’s only been in the last 5 years that edgy teens have shifted towards nazism and really spread into a problem on 4chan. Same goes for Reddit.

So going back to if they would have gained any popularity for doing this 10 years ago...not really. The presence of neo-Nazis were not as prevelant in 2007 and it would have been a very minor percentage of Reddit that would have been affected or cared. Now that nea-Nazis jump into many threads a lot more people will be happy that this rule was made.

14. RiseAgainst379

Regular

I was on 4chan in 2007 (and I'm not proud of it).

Let me tell you, there were neo-Nazis back then, too.

mercury likes this.
  15. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

I just think it's astonishing how those sites are being used to weaponize racist ideologies and it seems like no one is talking about it. I could be wrong, maybe I just haven't seen anything on it, but it seems like a fairly big issue to me.

mercury and Jason Tate like this.
  16. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

"only been in the last 5 years that edgy teens have shifted towards nazism and really spread into a problem on 4chan."

"The presence of neo-Nazis were not as prevelant in 2007"

I never said neo-nazis were never on 4chan, they were just a small minority that didn't catch the attention of most of the users and they wouldn't get threads with hundreds of replies like they do today. Now they go into every single travel, TV, music, wallpaper, Pokemon, anime, sports, etc. thread and that's why sites like Reddit are now doing something about it. I was a 4chan user for almost 10 years but now I just go to Reddit.

17. sleepy

pale earnhardt jr.

I use to be on forums back in 07 when I was really young and didnt know better not knowing what would be considered "Alt-Right" now was posting next to me. They came off as "Edgelords no one liked" at best, "Racists trying to incite folks for the lulz" at worst. Its shameful this is a movement that has a hold in the world now.

Glad to see em getting fucked off.