Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Red Hot Chili Peppers Album • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, May 5, 2016.

1. lolzeyes

Maybe i should have expressed myself a bit better. It feels bland (to me). Others may like it a lot. Don't take my word for it. Anyway, been listening to it for a few hours now. There are a couple of good moments and perhaps a few different but solid tracks but it doesn't do very much for me. I'm not having that excitement like i had before with their previous albums. And i'm giving this album a fair chance. If anyone is expecting to hear the old usual RHCP, don't. You'll only get letdown.

Also believe it or not, Josh is 36 :-O

2. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Even after one listen, I like this a lot better than I'm with You. Still think "Dark Necessities" is probably the best track, but I like some of the darkness they let lurk into these songs. Feels like it actually has a direction, after the last record was pretty meandering and dull, imo.

3. Jason Tolpin

Trusted

I liked the singles from one hot minute, I Liked the couple from californication, I liked zyphyr from by the way, I liked the hits from stadium, I liked rain dance maggie as well.

I guess I havent lost track of them - just didnt know the albums the songs were from.. The singles, the radio play songs - all of them, I liked - and I went back to BSSM which is where I thought I lost them.

Is there a tour yet?

4. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

5. LionInMyPocket

I was born in a swamp, born with no clothes on

I think this album is FANTASTIC!! I don't know if It's because I followed the release of this album more closely or what but I think this is a funky groovy release and my favorite album by them in a long time! Loads better than whatever was on the last album because I alway zone ut trying to get through that one and I love the hints of Dangermouse that remind me of what he brought to Portugal. the Man's Evil Friends and Norah Jones Little Broken Hearts.

bd007h likes this.
  6. DeviantRogue

Take arms, it'll all blow over Prestigious

I enjoy this quite a bit.

bd007h likes this.
  7. Jack Wilmott

Self-described freestyle wizard poet.

Does anybody else think they could've built a way better song out of the opening part of Dark Necessities.

Don'tget me wrong. The song is solid. I can't rant or rave about it. It's highly listenable.

BUT

That opening riff before it goes all slow funk felt like it was building to something great.

Anyway. After watching Off The Map a million times when I was about 12, I always wished they'd release a proper punk record. Californication is great but that DVd really highlights what they could sound like if they were to crank it up a bit.

I think one thing about RHCP is that, as I've gotten older, more bitter and altogether more cynical, I've found it harder to listen to the nonsensical, whimsy, "we're from California where life is perfect" lyrics that back this band. Probably why they only get a listen on the 4 days of summer we get in England.

8. MrNvmbr

Really enjoying this album so far. I've only listened to it 3 times but it is definitely better than I'm With You which was RHCP by numbers imo. Dropping Rick Rubin was a good idea, Josh has found his feet in the band so hopefully people can stop going on about the absence of John Frusciante.
    My favourite songs so far are The Longest Wave, This Ticonderoga and Encore. Encore is one of the best songs they have produced in a really long time and the outro of Goodbye Angels needs to be mentioned, Flea's bass is sounding fantastic here.
    RHCP are an underrated band and people tend to the give them a lot of grief, particularly in recent years. By The Way and Californication are two of my favourite albums ever and By The Way especially is just a great album (see Warm Tape, Minor Thing, Don't Forget Me, Dosed, This Is The Place).

bd007h likes this.
  9. I'm happy to see some positive reactions. It has me excited to check it out tomorrow.

10. mike1885

Trusted Supporter

After 1 listen, I like it but I obviously need to listen more to get a real sense of it all. It's definitely better than I'm With You, though.

bd007h likes this.
  11. LionInMyPocket

Highlights: Goodbye Angels, Dark Necessities, Go Robots, This Ticonderoga, Encore, Hunter
    Lowlights: Detroit

12. Onlyadirector

Trusted Supporter

I'm a casual listener of RHCP, and am pretty intrigued/impressed with the singles from this album. Definitely caught my attention more than I'm With You. Gonna hold off on a leak and wait to hear it tomorrow. I have good feelings about this.

13. Jack Wilmott

Seeing everyone talking about it on here is killing me. I cannot wait until tomorrow to get my hands on this.

14. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

There are a few duds, but on the whole I'm pleasantly surprised by this. "Dark Necessities" is still probably my favorite track though.

15. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

Glad to hear that of the three songs released, "Dark Necessities" is getting the most positive reaction. I really didn't dig the title track and the other one. Sounds like they saved the best cuts for an album listen, which I like.

16. LionInMyPocket

I would say of the whole album the title track is probably my second least favorite. So if that makes you feel better and We Turn Red is prob middle of the road song.

smoke4thecaper likes this.
  17. Horrorca

Trusted

never was a fan but I respect/enjoy them well enough

that said, Frusciante is a god - my interest in listening to a new peppers album has almost disappeared with the disappearance of Frusci

18. bd007h

chorus.fm's resident Meg Myers fan #GoSabres/Bills

Their most "complete" album since By the Way, but still lacks the punch of their golden years (1989-2002). Still dig it though!

19. Jack Wilmott

I'd agree it's definitely complete.

It feels a bit restrained for me.

With a producer like Danger Mouse I'd have loved to hear something a bit more sonically challenging. It feels a bit like they are just operating in auto-pilot.

I'll let it sink in more though.

20. Jack Wilmott

It feels a bit like the sort of album your mum would stick on while she makes a Sunday dinner.

21. LionInMyPocket

Yea but the Dangermouse though?!!

22. mike1885

Trusted Supporter

Josh definitely makes his presence more known on this one. I still miss Frusciante, but Josh has definitely come into his own. He's a better fit than Dave Navarro for sure.

23. Jason Tolpin

Trusted

Was Navarro only on one album and was that during a break of Janes Addiction?

24. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Yeah One Hot Minute was his only full album with them , Jane's Addiction was on break and John was treating his substance abuse issues

25. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Digging a few songs on here, especially "Sick Love".