Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Recording Equipment Thread (Amps/Interfaces/DAWs, etc.) • Page 3

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by Snoblin, Mar 14, 2016.

1. monokit

master average

Yeah the drum kit you're recording, if you're really stumped try room sound out but I've built a collection of samples from kits I've recorded and I tend to always go with those.

2. Snoblin

Goblin Person Prestigious

I have an electric kit.

3. monokit

master average

4. Snoblin

Goblin Person Prestigious

5. becketor

Hey everyone, seems like this might be the right thread for this, so here goes. I'm looking at investing in a stereo pair of small diagphram condensers, mainly to record my acoustic in stereo. Front runners right now are the Oktava Mk 012s and the Rode NT5s, but I was wondering if you guys could recommend any other mics I may have overlooked? Around the same price would be great, if not a little cheaper, thanks!

noeljames likes this.
  6. Sebas

^ Would definitely recommend the Rode's!

My current kit:

Reason 9
    Avid Mbox 2
    Microkorg
    Vermona Retroverb Lancet Filter (My favorite piece of gear)
    Presonus TubePre v2
    AKG 214
    Electribe SD-1
    Electro-Harmonix 45000 w/ foot controller
    Peavey EXP (Tele clone with 5-way pickup pattern with Piezo built in the bridge)
    Akai MPK49
    Akai MPKmini
    Roland JV1080
    Digitech Supernatural Reverb
    Boss CH-1
    Boss DD7
    Yamaha Alto Sax (Can't remember the model)
    Alvarez AC65
    SansAmp ParaDriver

Pair of Vestax PDX3000MKII Tables with matching PCM05 mixer into Rokit 5's + a whole bunch of vinyl

Freakin' love gear! Next on my list is probably a mid-to-high-end channel strip or a decent bass. Just got Reason 9 so I'll see how the softube amp emulators fare before I decide.

noeljames likes this.
  7. forever.home

tightly braided gold & silver bracelets

anyone going to AES tomorrow in LA?

8. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

hi everyone, rookie recording question here. i currently have a 1st gen scarlett 2i2 and mxl 990/991 combo, and have mostly recorded vocals and acoustic guitar, but would also like to explore some full "band" recording. my current dilemma, regarding electric guitar, is whether im better off mic'ing my current amp, in which case the internet tells me to get an sm57, or go the direct route, in which case the internet tells me to get a DI box for the scarlett. figured i'd come to the good people of chorus and ask which do you think is better value for my budget ($100-200)? anyone think something like amplitube is worth the investment or should garageband be enough? i havent tried linking the guitar to the scarlett directly yet to see if its that bad without a DI box but i wont be able to use it for a few weeks, wanted to get a head start on the research. i like the versatility of VST and not having to bring my amp to school but if mic'ing sounds that much better, perhaps i will.

9. nfdv2

Trusted Prestigious

don't get a di box. it's the most overrated piece of budget equipment imo. you can get a perfectly good DI'd guitar tone with the scarlett and no di box (and a decent amp simulator), but you need a mic to mic your guitar. would highly recommend doing two takes - one DI'd and one mic'd, and then mixing the two.

10. forever.home

100 dollar radial/countryman/whatever di is a total waste of money. getting that active RNDI Neve box however...

11. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

can you guys explain a bit? does clipping not affect the sound you hear when you play/record? i had no idea DI boxes existed until i stumbled upon peoples' complaints online about getting clipping with their scarlett. how can a product designed for guitars (that gets such rave reviews!) not take guitars?
    also, the irig HD 2 with amplitube full is on sale and looks quite tempting.

12. nfdv2

Trusted Prestigious

you can get clipping with anything if you don't know what you're doing and/or don't watch your levels. the scarlett makes it pretty easy to detect clipping because it has a lighting indicator when your levels are starting to clip. before you begin recording play your guitar the loudest it's going to sound while you're recording - if the lighting indicator is green, you're good to go. if it starts to turn red, turn your gain or volume down a little bit. try to get the highest amount of gain you can get without clipping because this will minimize the amount of background noise you will get.

also use the "pad" function. maybe i am missing something but i don't see why someone properly using the scarlett w/ a guitar and not trying to use it as an amp would get clipping.

13. manoverboard365

Trusted

So I've been using an mbox2 mini for like 9 years, but now its really starting to act up (my mac no longer recognizes it when I plug it in). What are some interfaces that people recommend? I think I'm due for an upgrade now.

14. Sebas

Depends. What kind of recording do you plan on doing? Do you record drums?

I have the MBox 2 as well but just bought an Octa-capture which is perfect for projects at my home. These days I wouldn't sweat too much about brands because the standard across the board is pretty damn good. Since you have a mac, it may (big may) be worth looking into a thunderbolt interface if you've got the port.

15. forever.home

treat yourself to an Apollo twin and never look back

brandon likes this.
  16. manoverboard365

Trusted

For now I ended up just getting a Scarlet Solo because it was the only one I could afford that seemed to be comparable to the mbox2 mini that I was using before. Think it's just gonna be temporary though, and when I get a new job/promotion I'll treat myself to something nicer.

Ugly Mug and brandon like this.
  17. pauldunions

Regular Supporter

Hey this was posted a while ago, but did you end up going with the MK012 condensers?

I snagged a pair of Okatava MK012s on ebay and they just came in the mail today. Shipped from Russia actually and delivered pretty quick. Really excited to try them on drum overheads.

Recently got a Shure SM57 for the snare and an Audix D6 for tracking the kick which sounds so awesome

Ugly Mug likes this.
  18. pauldunions

Regular Supporter

Currently running Logic on a Mac Mini which I really like and used to.

Recently I just acquired a free Dell laptop. Not all that though. Windows 7 and it was free. Thinking about using it as an auxillary computer.

Any thoughts on Reaper for Windows? Read that the trial is good and the discount license is 60 bucks

Ugly Mug likes this.
  19. monokit

master average

Updating my gear list here. Past clients include Comeback Kid (Victory/Distort), Elder Abuse (State Of Mind/Little Rocket Records), Orange (Hellcat/Epitaph Records) and many more. Always down to mix and master for anyone who needs, all genres welcome!

MICS
    Lauten 220A (2)
    CAD E100
    Josephson C42
    Shure SM57 (2)
    Shure SM58 (3)
    Shure SM7B
    Shure Beta 52a
    Audix D6
    Sennheiser MD421 (3)
    Solomon LoFreq Subkick

PREAMPS/EQ
    Vintech 573 (2)
    CAPI 312 (2)
    CAPI 553 (2)
    Elysia Xfilter

DAW/DIGITAL
    Antelope Zen Studio
    Alesis Ai3
    Logic Pro 10
    Cubase 9
    Presonus Studio One 3

MONITORING/CONSOLE
    Rascal Audio Tonebuss (16 Channel Neve Clone)
    Presonus Central Station
    Avantone Mixcubes
    Focal CMS40
    Fostex Submini 2

DYNAMICS
    Regular John Recording Mastering Compressor (regularjohnrecording.com)
    1176 Rev D
    Solid State Logic G-Master Bus Compressor
    FMR Audio Really Nice Levelling Amp

INSTRUMENTS
    Fender American Standard Telecaster
    Fender Standard Stratocaster (2)
    Nystrum Kestrel Mahogany Thinline
    Nystrum Kestrel '72
    Fender American Standard Jazz Bass
    Fender Highway One Precision Bass
    Fender American Standard Jazzmaster
    Ayotte Custom Drum Kit (22" 12" 16")
    Panama Conqueror 5 Head
    Peavey 5150II Head
    Panama 212 Tonewood Cab
    Mesa Boogie Dual Rectoverb 1x12 Combo
    Ampeg SVT6 Pro Head
    Ampeg SVT 410 Cabinet
    Olde Crow Custom 6x12 Cabinet
    Tech 21 Sansamp Bass Driver

Sebas and jorbjorb like this.
  20. eight30

Regular

I'm looking for advice on a laptop or desktop computer to use for some light recording. I picked up an Akai MPK Mini and I'm looking to mostly use that and maybe record some guitar but mostly use the midi controller. I have an ancient Macbook that I think is from 2008/09 and I can run Garageband on it but I fear with more tracks added it'll struggle.

I'm leaning towards Apple products because that is what I know but I am open to other suggestions as I don't want to drop $1000 on a computer. How far back in the macbook series would you go to still comfortably run Garageband? Again, completely open to any suggestions at all! If you wanna PM me to not clutter up the thread with all my questions that works too! Thank you all!

21. What's the best mic for recording vocals for under like $200?

22. Any post-2010 iMac refurb should work well enough even if you make the jump to Logic.

23. eight30

Regular

Thank you! I am looking at pawnshops and such now.

24. uuu

dumb idiot ignore me

@Jason Tate @Drew Beringer This is spam.

25. Just copped my first UAD interface and now I'm wondering why it took me 6 years to replace my piece of shit scarlett v1 also TAL's Juno Synth is the greatest vst instrument of all timeeeeee