Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Recording Equipment Thread (Amps/Interfaces/DAWs, etc.) • Page 2

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by Snoblin, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Snoblin

Goblin Person Prestigious

She got it for me so I could stop annoying the neighbors with my regular kit. It's so much more fun to play hahaha. All the samples sound super legit too. I love the mesh head snare.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  2. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

Dude, on my Roland spd-sx, I can isolate anything from a song on my iPhone and assign it to one of the pads in like, less than a minute. I can rip like 808's from a Kanye song, take a vocal sample from a 1975 song...anything. The options are endless, and I'm never gonna see daylight again. @Ugly Mug

3. Sophos

Regular

you can do pretty much the same thing on maschine, although i have a tendancy to chop and place samples by hand in logic rather than assigning pads on maschine. i guess i just feel like i have more control over processing in logic rather than in maschine, even if playing samples off pads would be more musical. i should do it more often within maschine just to switch it up.

4. Sophos

Regular

the knontrol 49 came today. i am in love. omg. what a fucking amazing piece of gear.

phaynes1 likes this.
  5. phaynes1

Regular

get workinnnnnn

6. jorbjorb

7 rings

Those VOX AC10's are really nice with an OCD in front of it. Thinking of pulling the trigger on one. I sold my AC15 last summer.

7. I think I've decided on the Shure Beta 87A as the replacement for the Blue Yeti as my podcasting microphone. Now to choose an interface. I was recommended the USBPre 2 or TASCAM2x2. Any advice?

8. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

Buying a Beta 87A on my lunch break + interface so paying heavy attention to this thread to see what gets recommended haha. What were you told about those 2?

Jason Tate and Jacob Tender like this.
  9. Jacob Tender Apr 2, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 2, 2016)
    Well Marco recommends it highly and it turns out Stephen Hackett uses the same setup. I exchanged some tweets with Stephen on how it handles room noise (an issue I deal with in my set up) and he says it's great.

Podcasting Microphones Mega-Review – Marco.org

10. I did it.

Jason Tate likes this.
  11. thischarmingman

tweets: @lamebandguy Prestigious

hey all. i'm looking for a cheap/free and easy to use windows recording software i can use to compose some music on. any recommendations?

i'm not looking to get something that's super intensive, since music has kinda taken the backseat for me lately, but i would like to make something fun to listen to.

12. Snoblin

Very excited because my Blue Blueberry Microphone is finally getting repaired. ;-;

13. Ruston

Reaper is a free download and relatively easy to use. Tons of tutorials out for them too.

14. brandon

Regular Prestigious

Here's my current setup:
    Computer: Mac Mini (i7 model with 8GB of RAM and an SSD upgrade)
    Software: Pro Tools 11
    Monitors: KRK Rokit 6" (2nd Gen)
    Interface: Universal Audio Apollo Duo

I'm more for mixing than recording, but I do have an SM57 (because it's a great do-it-all mic) and a Cascade X15 stereo ribbon microphone.

15. Snoblin May 30, 2016
    (Last edited: May 30, 2016)
    Snoblin

Pulled the trigger on the SM7B/cloudlifter bundle guitar center has right now. (Ships June 27th)

With the memorial day coupon, it's cheaper than just buying the regular SM7B by like 5 bucks. Totally worth it.

My microphone arsenal is now complete. (Until I find something else I want)

16. drewinseries

Drew

I recorded my debut EP at my apartment and got it mixed and mastered in a studio. I used..

Guitars:
    Squire Jaguar
    Fender Tele
    on a Crate Vintage Club 30

I used holy grail reverb, superego, super chorus, DD6 delay for most of the tone.

Bass:
    Rickenbaker 4003 (went DI)

Pearl Drum kit

We used shure mics into logic.

The debut track premiered here Song Premiere: Hiddenfolk - "Sunny" - New Noise Magazine full EP drops tomorrow.

Total budget was 200 in the studio for mix/master

17. Snoblin

Sick Man! I'll be sure to check it out!

18. drewinseries

Drew

Thanks man! The Full EP is out now and available here, I like to think the songs vary the tones a bit.

19. Snoblin

Anyone eyeing some sick guitar pedals?

I'm drooling over the moment I can get my hands on a Dr. Scientist Bitquest

20. Snoblin

Having an issue implementing my Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 interface w/ windows 10. -_-;

Anyone else have this issue?

21. Snoblin

Three questions:
    What kind of DI box were you using previously?
    What kind of pick ups are in your guitar?
    What kind of interface are you using?

I haven't heard of a DI box coloring the sound of someone's guitar. Typically people use DI boxes on instruments with low level signals in order to record/perform without picking up line noise.
    When used on a guitar, it's typically just to get amp-free tone.

22. Snoblin

What interface are you using now? Also is it a squire or fender jazz master? It may just be the pickups to be honest. (Though that's not for sure, just something to look into.)

Is your bass active or passive?
    I don't have and experience with keys.

I use the Radial J48 when recording guitar DI. It seems to do a decent job. My bass is active so I just run it into my interface.

23. nfdv2

Trusted Prestigious

i'm using a steinberg ur44 that i'm planning on selling soon to get the scarlett 18i8. my guitar is a squier VM jazzmaster w/ vintage jazzmaster pickups.

my bass is also a squier, it's a PJ bass. not completely sure if it's active or passive tbh but i think it's active?

24. Snoblin

Anyone know of any great resources to find realistic drum samples that I can use for the "punk rock" musix?

25. Snoblin

Does your bass have a power source (i.e. a 9V battery) ? If yes, then it's active. (My SUB is an active bass)

I guess I don't know anything about classic jazzmaster pickups. It could just be your DI box? I wish I could lend you my DI box and see if that helped your tone at all. hahaha