Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Recording Equipment Thread (Amps/Interfaces/DAWs, etc.)

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by Snoblin, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Snoblin

Goblin Person Prestigious

Talk about how awesome your set up is! Tell me why I should spend more of my money on more musical equipment!

2. I've got a Blue Yeti with a bad buzz (I'm going to be sending it back for testing) and Logic with a 2011 MacBook Pro in between them.

3. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

Trying to save up for an MPC to mess with, anyone here have one to share experiences with it/knowledge of it?

4. Snoblin

I reached out to blue in order to get my Blueberry checked multiple times. They never responded. Very disappointed in their service.

5. I'm not thrilled either. I can eliminate almost all of the whine by using a shorter USB cord, but that's not ideal. There must be some sort of shielding issue in the Yeti. I can't have that.

As a result, I'm looking for podcasting mic recommendations that won't break the budget.

Requirements: good on room noise, clear and warm.

I'm thinking the Shure Beta 87a based on Marco Arment's recommendation.

6. Snoblin

I've worked with the SM7B when I was doing an internet radio show, and I thought it did a pretty good job.

7. Jake Jenkins likes this.
  8. Sophos

Regular

Jason Tate likes this.
  9. Sophos

Regular

Get a maschine instead

10. Sophos

Regular

Backing sm7b big time I'm about to buy one for a record I'm doing later this year

11. Fucking Dustin

12. Fucking Dustin

It's what I'm using for my record right now I endorse it

13. Sophos

Regular

It depends on which mpc model you're looking at. The new mpc models function just like maschine but the old analog ones aren't worth it. The new Mpcs and maschine incorporate software and come with big sample libraries. I say maschine because that's what I have and it comes with some native instruments soft synths which they are a top notch company for. I'm getting komplete 10 and a komplete kontrol 49 to compliment my maschine mikro and traitor kontrol s4

14. Sophos

Regular

Need beats?

15. Fucking Dustin

I was looking into the older models so I'll definitely look into Maschine instead. I remember trying the recent MPCs and not being huge on em, which caused me to wonder about the older models but if there's a brand keeping up with Akai on it I'm very interested haha.

And yes I do need beats actually, got about 5/11 beats chosen so lots of open room for more.

16. Sophos

Regular

Sweet I'll make that big zip file this weekend. I seriously have like at least 15 for you to choose from

17. Fucking Dustin

Awesome! Can't wait, this is likely my last album (depending on whether or not this process of recording/releasing gets me sucked back in) so I definitely want you a part of it

18. Sophos

Regular

im selling my akai max 25 midi keyboard controller. im asking $175 for it, they're $300 new so i feel like that's more than fair. ive had it for two years, its in great shape and hasn't left my room since i bought it so it hasnt gotten beaten up or anything. im just upgrading to a 49 key controller this week so i dont have a use for it. i'll pay for shipping if anyone is interested. it's an awesome piece of gear with a bunch of flexibility and customization options

dharkins likes this.
  19. My brother just got a Roland JDXi and it's incredible. We also use a Blue Baby Bottle condenser mic for all of our vocal/acoustic guitar recordings and it's perfect. I've even used it to room-mic a drum kit and the quality turned out impressively well.

20. We're also major Logic > ProTools people. It's hard to beat the deal to download Logic X for only $200.

21. Sophos

Regular

Might've already found a buyer for that controller. Yay Twitter!

22. Sophos

Regular

just bought komplete 10!!!!! this is gonna take forever to download but fuck im so excited. especially stoked on having battery. but theres gonna be so much to dive into.....and my kontrol 49 comes in 7 days

dharkins likes this.
  23. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

We just got a Roland Spd-sx that is super fun.

24. Snoblin

My girlfriend got me a Roland TD-11K electric drum kit for my birthday and I am in heaven

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  25. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

What a badass gift