Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Record Labels Sue Over Ripping Audio Tracks from YouTube Videos

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Eriq Gardner, writing at The Hollywood Reporter, on record labels starting to sue some of the YouTube to MP3 ripping websites:

On Monday, the plaintiffs filed a copyright lawsuit in California federal court, stating, “Stream ripping has become a major threat to the music industry, functioning as an unlawful substitute for the purchase of recorded music and the purchase of subscriptions to authorized streaming services.”

With a few simple mouse clicks, the lawsuit reports, infringing copies of sound recordings are made available in MP3 format. The plaintiffs suggest that “tens, or even hundreds, of millions of tracks are illegally copied and distributed by stream ripping services each month.”

2. mmhmm

Trusted Prestigious

lol

3. ale5875

Regular

Is it 2007 still?

Carmensaopaulo likes this.
  4. Quijiba

I mean, why not right? Classic throw spaghetti at the wall and see what sticks move.

5. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Good luck with that.

6. billcom6

Can't even front, I do this.

7. shawnhyphenray

Regular

good

8. ianzandi

Regular

"Good luck with that"- Mr Moseby

9. DandonTRJ

~~~ヾ(^∇^ Supporter

These cases invariably turn on how the defendant markets itself. In terms of a fair use defense, the website clearly has both infringing and non-infringing uses (ala the Betamax case), but made the fatal error of marketing clearly infringing uses (ala the Grokster case), so there will be a strong argument that it induced infringement accordingly.

Jason Tate likes this.
  10. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I suggested making a playlist for a roadtrip recently and my travel buddy asked if I had a youtube ripping program like sis Spotify Premium exists. I do think I have some albums still on my iPod Classic that were entirely ripped from youtube and I always forget until they come up and sound like garbage.

11. Anticitizen7

Please be kind. Like actually kind though.

I've never used those websites for anything but downloading music, but only stuff that's rare and can't really be found anywhere else.

12. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

What if instead of paying legal fees on losing battles, record labels came together, made a competitive streaming service and phased out their agreements with Spotify/Apple? Is that a possibility for labels? Cause if profit is the end game, streaming is a better route than squashing those darn YouTubers.

Davjs likes this.
  13. fbrrocks

Trusted

i have done this if it a rare song that i can't find anywhere else