Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Recommendations • Page 38

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Toner

A Welshy in London Supporter

Katie Malco has been mentioned in some other threads, but I still think a lot of people may be missing out on her like I was only a few weeks ago. I've had to rejig my end of year list to squeeze her in at #2 due to how much I've adored this album the past month. She might even jump to the top if this sticks with me as long as I expect it will.

RIYL: Phoebe Bridgers, Julien Baker, Tigers Jaw

Where to Start: Watch the music video for Brooklyn, which I've embedded below. It is a heart-wrenching song about a close friend moving abroad and the fear that you will drift apart. The music video features Katie, and who I assume to be the close friend, and it is a wonderful visual companion piece to an already stunning song.

Where to Go From There: Listen to the album. Start to finish. It flits between stripped back female singer-songwriter and higher energy emo songs that channel Tigers Jaw for me. Pay attention to the lyrics. There are living, breathing stories in there and you can tell she is pouring herself in to these songs.

It truly is something special and I hope somebody else takes a punt like I did and finds their new favourite album.

2. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

3. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

4. indecipherable

levitate levitate levitate levitate Prestigious

riyl: local natives, (later) from indian lakes, snowmine, polyenso:

5. MariDenniz

Подборка поп-музыки 2020
    Без стресса и отлично подходит для фонового воспроизведения

6. JM95

Trusted

Been loving a lot of the songs on the new Subsonic Eye album over the past few weeks. More indie pop style than their previous records apparently (I haven't checked those out yet). The singer has a lovely voice and a really nice sense of melody and cadence.

7. angrycandy

8. Bluedm

*Shows off Google Knowledge Panel*

Absolute bop

9. Ryha

10. Ryha

If anyone is searching for new RnB artist, female singers, or just looking for good music in general, check out Ryha, an artist from Houston, Tx.

Here is a fav from her collection .

ig: @therealryha

darksven likes this.
  11. Bluedm

*Shows off Google Knowledge Panel*

Do self-promotion here: Self-Promotion Thread • forum.chorus.fm

darksven likes this.
  12. angrycandy

Toner likes this.
  13. GWP.SOALS

Hey! If you're looking for some new music suggestions maybe you'll like "story of a love song" by Games We Play! Let me know what you think.

14. Dgenutis

Chill

15. triptych

I didn't have time to scroll and see if these 3 bands/artists with new albums were mentioned here, but I'll give it a try. I'm talking about AC /DC, Blue Oyster Cult and Alice Cooper :).
    I have been following their music for many moons now and they have even released their respective new albums. Whos says rock is dead ????! Doesn't look like it judging from these albums :)

16. McCandless

I'm in the mood for new music.

All I want to do is sit in the dark and listen to sad songs. Open to anything similar to Phoebe Bridgers, City & Colour, Noah Gundersen (earlier stuff), Julien Baker etc.

Make me feel stuff please.

17. Importer/Exporter Mar 17, 2021
    (Last edited: Mar 17, 2021)
    Importer/Exporter

he’ll live forever in the sound of broken glass Supporter

This artist has been one of my favorite bandcamp finds for years. Some of his records are more political/louder, but he writes real great sad songs too and this album has a bunch of them.

Also recommend Christian Lee Hutson’s last record, Emperor X’s ‘Erica Western Teleport’, Dear Nora’s ‘Mountain Rock’, and Tenci’s ‘My Heart is an Open Field’. New Cassandra Jenkins record isn’t “sad” necessarily but is contemplative and sounds good in headphones.

Laura Stevenson’s ‘The Big Freeze’ and The Mountain Goats ‘Get Lonely’ are two of my all time favorite albums that are too sad for me to listen to unless I’m really going through it, but sound great and gentle in the dark.

realizing ive thrown a lot out there lol but i love these albums and i love the artists you mentioned, so figured maybe there’d be some overlap? Hope you like something in here.

McCandless likes this.
  18. McCandless

This is incredible thank you, adding all to a playlist now and will see what hits! Cheers!

19. Gianni

Trusted

Not sure if this belongs in "Recommendations", but since most threads are sorted by specific artist and album, figured it would be the best starting place. Maybe could be deserving of its own thread?

What are peoples' favorite go-to "spring-time" albums/artists? Totally subjective of course, but some music just sounds better when the cold weather is ending and spring hits. For me it depends on my mood, and because I've listened to heavier music lately, I'm currently drawing a blank when trying to build a playlist for this spring.

In the past I've gone with stuff as varied as The War On Drugs, The Shins, Vampire Weekend, Phoenix, Tigers Jaw, 311, John Mayer, Ray LaMontagne, Tom Petty, Jason Isbell....

What's everyone else got to contribute? :-)

20. Importer/Exporter

Yo La Tengo (Fall or Spring, really), Japanese Breakfast, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Replacements/solo Paul Westerberg (esp. if you like Petty), Hold Steady, The National’s ‘High Violet’ is real good with stormy weather, TV on the Radio, Wilco, Hop Along. All sound good when temperatures are warming up and the air smells like rain.

Gianni28 likes this.
  21. Gianni

Trusted

Good ones for sure, thank you! Especially good call on the 'Mats/Westerberg. I only know a few solo Westerberg songs if I'm being honest, so will check some more out.

Wilco "Summerteeth" and "Wilco (The Album)" have been big go-tos in the past for me as well in the spring. I should add that new Hold Steady record too, since I haven't spent much time with it.

Importer/Exporter likes this.
  22. Importer/Exporter

‘14 Songs’ and ‘Stereo’ are the ones i like best of PW, but he’s remarkably consistent/underrated.

23. wwontology

New video on PAN Records!!!!?

24. Josh Cronin

heavymetaljim likes this.
  25. brothemighty

Trusted

Really fucking good