Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Recommendations • Page 17

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. RonandTammy

Regular

I would hope so, they're easily one of the better bands right now. Though I am getting a little tired of these types of vocals. Have Mercy is another culprit.

Chris Prindle likes this.
  2. Musiclover

Does anyone here remember Gym Class Heroes, been listening to them a lot lately

3. RonandTammy

Regular

Yes, but Travis, or Travid, as he's called himself, is a bit of a douche bag.

Saw them live before the fame got to their head and Travis was still rocking that loose fro.

4. Musiclover

Whys he a douche?

5. RonandTammy

Regular

I've always equated him to Craig Owens from Chiodos. They both let fame get to their head and turned into narcissistic assholes, unless you're a chick.

6. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

Undeniably catchy.

thenewtypetheory likes this.
  7. SoCoWilderNeSs

Regular Supporter

Lately I've been listening to a bunch of different bands and albums:

1. Too Close To Touch - Haven't Been Myself

Phenomenal album from start to finish. Not a single bad song on this record.

2. Set It Off - their entire discography. They kind of remind me of Panic at the Disco and I'm digging their stuff lately even though I'm not really a big Oanic guy.

3. Icon For Hire - just released a new album and really their entire discography is good. I always see threads and articles about best female lead bands and this name never comes up but I'd put them right up at the top. They have some versatility to their sound too and mix it up quite a bit. Very catchy.

4. Carousel Kings - fun catchy pop punk I guess? It's a good listen and keeps me energized while I work.

5. Against the Current - In Our Bones. Solid album with catchy tracks. I really like 'Chasing Ghosts', 'Demons' & 'Wasteland'. The last on that list has a riff that seems somewhat copied from Armor For Sleeps 'Basement Ghost Singing' but I still like it.

6. Picturesque - they are just a really freaking good band. High recommend for fans of Saosin or Circa Survive but I like Picturesques style more bc it's more catchy to me mostly.

7. Palisades - idk how to describe but overall I like it.

Check em all out - most of those above have albums freely available to stream if u have Amazon prime or there's always YouTube.

Knowing this crowd though you've probably all already heard most if not all those mentioned. Enjoy!

8. RonandTammy Apr 24, 2017
    (Last edited: Apr 24, 2017)
    RonandTammy

Regular

I'd like to add the following:

-Fossil Youth: A very, very good emo/pop-punk-ish type of band. Reminds me of something from the early to mid 2000's.

-Midnight Foolishness: Similar to the above band, but a bit faster. Their stuff is really limited on Youtube for some reason also.

-Movements: I posted a video a few pages back. One of those hard emo/post-hardcore bands, not really sure what to call them.

I'd liken Picturesque to Sleeping With Sirens.

SoCoWilderNeSs likes this.
  9. mad

I was right. Prestigious

RIYL: Glass Animals, Sylvan Esso

10. SoCoWilderNeSs

Regular Supporter

Which band is this?

11. RonandTammy

Regular

Black Peaks.

They're interesting, at least the song Saviour, for which they have a video. The lead singer has a crazy range, but there isn't one bit of Circa anywhere in this song.

Check out Sianvar or Hail the Sun if you want an almost perfect impression of Anthony Green. By the way, those two bands have the same lead singer. In Hail The Sun, dude plays drums and sings at the same time, Sianvar is a more straight forward approach. It really is incredible, there isn't anyone else, besides Anthony Green, with these vocals, even the screams.

Here is another band that gets absolutely no love.

Chinesefood and SoCoWilderNeSs like this.
  12. Zip It Chris

Be kind; everyone is on their own journey.

Saw this was already answered, but the Circa Survive Anthony Green style screams come out in a couple songs...not consistently. The singer does have huge range, but also has different screams from low growls to high pitched stuff, but it all works imo.

13. SoCoWilderNeSs

Regular Supporter

Thanks! This should give me some nice work music to get me through the rest of my shift today. I know Hail the Sun well but not Sianvar. These days I find the music and listen as much as I can but I can't follow closely enough to know the details of band members and such. I had no idea the Hail the Sun dude was in multiple bands.

Once I got married and had my daughter my ability to put that kind of time and research in went away so threads like this are super helpful lol

Oddly I'm not a huge Anthony Green fan. I've always found him to be super overrated. I did like some of his latest work with Circa but his vocals bore me and all sound the same all too often for me. I like singers to show range in not just their voice but in their verse rythems and flows.

14. RonandTammy

Regular

I'm the opposite, I preferred early Anthony Green, basically ending with the second Circa album. Maybe my taste changed, or his voice changed a bit, but I just got tired of what he did...at a certain point, all of the songs sounded the same due to the lack of vocal delivery.

I still look for new bands, I have to, because I'm stuck on the music from 2000-2006 or so. Most of the new stuff I just can't get into, but there are exceptions.

SoCoWilderNeSs likes this.
  15. SoCoWilderNeSs

Regular Supporter

Same man, some of these newer bands everyone goes nuts over I just don't get it. I can't even remember the band name but everyone loved this soil and dirt album and I tried it and couldn't get through the album, the Hotelier is utterly average to me and there are a ton of other bands who's names I can't even recall that have HUGE scene followings and I just can't do it.

I play my old SoCo and Jacks albums, Spill Canvas, Finch, older Senses Fail and a ton of others though still all the time.

16. RonandTammy

Regular

Yup, I was 18 in 2002, so you can imagine all of the current and upcoming bands that were available to check out live. I saw Coheed before their Turbine came out, along with Glassjaw before Worship and Tribute.

17. indecipherable Apr 29, 2017
    (Last edited: Apr 29, 2017)
    indecipherable

levitate levitate levitate levitate Prestigious

some pretty good synth-pop. riyl: hot chip, caribou

18. mad

I was right. Prestigious

RIYL: the Maccabees, the Cribs, Foals

19. Tom

It's way too late, or much too early Prestigious

Breaking Tradition is a band from the local South Jersey scene that just broke up and played their last show on Saturday. It was amazing to see the amount of people there and singing along for such a great band that has done so much for our scene. Felt like I had to share. This band has the emo/pop punk vibe of bands like The Early November with some melodic guitar riffs like some of the newer emo-revival bands.

Nirro likes this.
  20. RonandTammy

Regular

Now known as Stomacher, In Reverent Fear was one of the best bands I've listened to back in the early 2000's. They seemingly just came and went.

Nirro likes this.
  21. Nirro

FUTURE-PUNK, ALTERNATIVE ROCK, I WAS SO EXCITED TO FIND THIS BAND!

22. Chinesefood

Regular

Looking for something hard-hitting. Something grungey in the vein of Basement's Colourmeinkindness. Quiet/loud dynamic. Something a bit heavy. Feedback. That sort of thing.

Or something like Deftones, progressive/alt metal. Something that cuts but also has a sort of atmospheric vibe.

I know I'm being pretty specific but the bands don't have to possess every one of those qualities. Haha. Thanks!

23. RonandTammy

Regular

Check the video I just posted, maybe?

24. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

Sights & Sounds - Monolith

25. Chinesefood

Regular

Not bad. Made me wanna revisit Yesterday's Rising.