Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Rec Cwhit Things 2k17 • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cwhit, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

anyway those are my areas of expertise so i can post a jazz list sometime

cwhit likes this.
  2. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

How do you feel about Thembi by Pharaoh Sanders?

3. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

Great album, probably one of his more accessible? Much more groove based and iirc its got the rhodes on it which I love

4. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Not sure what it is about that record that just floors me, but I was curious if that was just me being a neophyte

5. EngineDown

formerly known as chill yoshi

forgot to post wonder what's next by chevelle and the egg by shiner, sorry

6. Kennedy

loomasleep.bandcamp.com Prestigious

You ever listen to any Heatmiser records?

Heatmiser - Mic City Sons
    The Microphones - The Glow Pt 2

ill be surprised if you havnt listened to both of those albums so im probably useless :shrugs:

7. angel paste

grey hairs, get out of me zoots! Prestigious

franks wild years by tom waits

and grow up and blow away by metric

you'll thank me or be confused later i promise

8. goation

Regular

Overlooked grunge album

Stone Temple Pilots - Tiny Music

9. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

the glow is an all timer and incredibly influential album to most artists i like, of course i've listened hahaha
    heatmiser was coloso's avatar on ap, right??

10. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

Alice In Chains- s/t

amorningofsleep likes this.
  11. Kennedy

Yep, it was. Definitely check out that album if you havnt already.

12. Raise your hand if you first listened to Heatmiser because Jimmy Eat World mentions them in a song!

13. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I've listened to Astral Weeks about 15 times since I rec'ed it yesterday so you doofuses who haven't listened better get on it

14. Kennedy

*arm rises*

15. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

If you've never checked out John Prine, I would totally recommend doing that. His first, self-titled, album is universally praised and there's also a compilation on Apple Music called Prime Prine that's sort of a "best of" for his early work.

There's also a 41-track best of released in the 90's, called Great Days: The John Prine Anthology, but it's not on Apple Music.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  16. cwhit

getting into day two of this now. yesterday i did:

graceland, zombie, a love supreme, love deluxe, and southernplayalisticadillacmuzik. good start

TheWater(s) likes this.
  17. jdr2187

jdr2187

I second this. He never gets enough recognition. The s/t album is perfect. One of the best songwriters ever.

KidLightning likes this.
  18. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

The Kinks are another band that everyone here should check out. Hugely influential for punk and power pop, and banned from touring in the US for nearly half a decade because of their on-stage antics . . . what's not to love!?

I only really know their stuff from the 60's (thanks to my mom, that was her musical heyday) – Kinks, Kinda Kinks, The Kink Kontroversy, Face to Face (one of the first rock concept albums), Something Else . . ., The Village Green Preservation Society ("Picture Book" is where Green Day got the riff for "Warning"), and Arthur – and, from what I know about your musical taste, you'd probably like the run from Face to Face through Arthur more than the first 3.

19. George

Trusted Prestigious

Some albums I like a lot that are all "classics" in their own right, but not quite The Beatles/Dylan obvious. I've chucked in some descriptions, but they're a bit shit.

Joni Mitchell - Blue (1972); Canadian singer-songrwriter, folky sort of stuff and an absolutely phenomenal songwriter. You mentioned Bjork and Kate Bush in the OP and they both love her. A lot of that bedroom-folky pop stuff that's popular now is indebted to her.

Patti Smith - Horses (1975); One of the finest garage rock/proto-punk albums, and a pioneering woman in rock music. Make sure you check out the version with the live cover of "My Generation" that closes it, it fucking rips.

The Clash - The Clash (1977); London Calling is better, but as a first listen, I think the self-titled is the way to go. Focused, concise and just so much bloody fun.

Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables (1980); I think they're a little bit underrated, far more talented than their peers in the American scene at the time (apart from The Replacements). They were pushing boundaries, innovative in their songwriting, and genuinely pretty funny.

Miles Davis - Birth of the Cool (1950). He probably has a few better than this, but if you're not that used to jazz, then this is a great introduction. 12 tracks in 35 minutes or so, great and easy listening, and a lovely introduction to the maestro.

Sam Cooke - Ain't That Good News (1964); Probably my favourite "classic" soul album, Sam Cooke could do everything and make it seem to effortless. A breeze of an album, packed to the brim with classic after classic.

Nusrat Fatteh Ali Khan - Musst Musst (1990); Pakistani singer, with an absolutely stupendous range, I can't oversell his vocals enough, they are divine. Unlike his other work, the tracks are 4-5 mins each, not 20, so way easier to digest.

Luther Vandross - Never Too Much (1981); I feel he's also a little underrated and this album is pound-for-pound as good as any pop/r'n'b record of this or any decade.

Gil Scott Heron - Pieces of a Man (1971); Hugely influential pre-cursor to hip-hop. He blended spoken word, soul and jazz together into this hugely captivating, and entirely distinctive thing.

That'll do for now!

20. cwhit

tbh the dylan/beatles obvious things are necessary for me

21. George

Trusted Prestigious

Start with Rubber Soul with The Beatles and go onwards, start with The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan for Dylan and go onwards.

Do Abbey Road/Highway 61 Revisited if you just want the one best record for each.

22. TheWater(s)

Kiss The Sky Prestigious

Definitely do Freewheelin Bob Dylan. Thats my favorite of his

23. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Beggar's Banquet, Exile On Main Street and Let It Bleed for the Rolling Stones

Aregala likes this.
  24. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

Graceland rocks so fucking much, it's silly.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  25. Cody Jan 4, 2017
    (Last edited: Jan 4, 2017)
    Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

I highly recommend Boston's debut record on the grounds of 1.) it being a cornerstone early example of people using home studios/recording, and 2.) being a kickass, huge, bombastic 70s arena rock record.