Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Rec Cwhit Things 2k17 • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cwhit, Jan 2, 2017.

1. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

Gonna start going through these while doing exports tomorrow at work, I am excited

2. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

Maybe the worst thing you've ever posted

TheWater(s) likes this.
  3. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

This is a thread I can get behind, I've also wanted to diversify my tastes lately. I've wanted to for a long time, actually, but most genres I've wanted to explore I have no idea where to begin because of how expansive they are (jazz, as a big example) and how easily overwhelmed I am.

Also, @cwhit , I don't have many recs, but if you haven't ever listened to Songs From the Big Chair by Tears For Fears, pls do. One of my favorite albums ever.

4. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Lots of recs in here I vouch for.

Think you'll update the thread as you listen to stuff?

5. cwhit

yeah definitely! i'm keeping the google doc updated as i go, but as i said i don't want this to be about me and my "reviews" of each release. if something really stands out/affects me i'll say it, but i don't want this thread to be self-indulgent haha.

i'm on my fourth record of the day so far. decided to skip around because the sepultura record, based on the apple music bio and some things i read i have not a great feeling about hahaha. i did promise i'll get to everything though!!!!

6. TheVandyMan

Please stop deleting my custom title Prestigious

This thread is called "Rec Cwhit things," I think we're well past self-indulgent already. :heart:

But it's shaping up to be a really solid list that a bunch of users, myself included, should use as a guide!

cwhit likes this.
  7. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Obviously my #1 rec for anyone. My favorite album of all time, bar none. IMO the greatest work ever recorded hyperbole timeless w/e. If anyone hasn't listened in full yet idk what your deal is. If you hit Astral Weeks, Veedon Fleece and Moondance are other essentials

Other good ones:

I'm sure there's 100000 lists of hip hop essentials out there that you've seen before but Illmatic, Ready to Die and Enter the Wu Tang are my top 3 can't miss, if you've somehow missed them.

Obviously Pet Sounds gets praise, rightfully so, but Wild Honey is an underlooked gem by the group. Dennis Wilson's Pacific Ocean Blue is also a classic that deserves a listen.

Other favorites without getting too obvious:
    Neil Young - After the Gold Rush
    Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes - Wake Up Everybody
    Jackson Browne - The Pretender
    Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes
    Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
    A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory

90s grunge/alt rock gets shit on a lot here, but Siamese Dream by the Smashing Pumpkins, The Fragile (Left) and Downward Spiral by Nine Inch Nails and all of Nirvana's albums are good. Pearl Jam has an overwhelming amount to get into but their Greatest Hits is pretty comprehensive in terms of solid songs.

8. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

that one got left out

9. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

Hey Cshit, since you're too lazy to click my links listen to the following

High School Football Heroes - We've Fooled Around Long Enough
    Whole Wheat Bread - Minority Rules

cwhit likes this.
  10. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Anything R.E.M. is good

11. cwhit

i almost added the top two ahead of time because i knew you'd put them, hah. finally forcing myself to listen.

adding those all to the list!

12. TheVandyMan

Backed. I've had "Stand" stuck in my head for days at this point and I can't get it out.

13. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Murmur is underrated as fuck compared to the rest of their discog imo, R.E.M is literally the American analogue of the Smiths in a LOT of ways

Zac Djamoos likes this.
  14. TheVandyMan

I'll recommend R.E.M. - Automatic For the People

15. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

I can agree for sure
    This is def the best starting point yeah

16. TheVandyMan

I figure getting Nightswimming as part of your first brush with R.E.M. is the easiest way to get hooked into the rest of their discography

Zac Djamoos likes this.
  17. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

This may be very obvious, but Songs of Leonard Cohen by Leonard Cohen felt and feels like a very unique folk record, specifically because the flamenco/Spanish style guitar thing he does wasn't a thing I heard often and gave a different feel to what he was playing. And plus he's a fantastic lyricist. You could really start probably with any of his first four because I think they're all fantastic in different ways, but as a first taste, Songs of Leonard Cohen has a couple of his most famous songs on it so

Oh and RE: that Cure rec from up there, Disintegration is essential imo

cwhit likes this.
  18. jdr2187

jdr2187

Here are my two recs that I think meet the criteria you listed. Also these are two of my all time favorite albums.

Eels - Electro-Shock Blues (1998)
    Silver Jews - American Water (1998)

cwhit likes this.
  19. cherrywaves

Trusted

This album should definitely be held in the same regard that albums by New Order/The Cure are. Perfect album. What do you think of Seeds of Love? If it's not as good, it's damn close

nohandstoholdonto likes this.
  20. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

I was named after this dude but have only heard like a random song or two outside of Brown Eyed Girl so this is very helpful to me.

cwhit likes this.
  21. cshadows2887

Now I want to make a self-indulgent thread where I just post about all the old shit I listen to this year by artists without their own threads. Haha

Also I may try to listen to the stuff in the google doc that I haven't heard.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  22. cwhit

didn't you use to have a thread like that on AP? haha

23. cshadows2887

I did and I miss it. Haha

cwhit likes this.
  24. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

I've honestly never listened to anything besides Songs From the Big Chair... which I can't really come up with any justification for tbh. I've meant to give that album a listen for a long time now but it's just slipped away from me. I'll try and change that soon.

25. cshadows2887 Jan 3, 2017
    (Last edited: Jan 3, 2017)
    cshadows2887

I have 23 of these to hear. That's a bit more than I thought.

Edit:

Holy shit @OhTheWater how had I not heard this Harold Melvin record?