Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Rec Cwhit Things 2k17

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cwhit, Jan 2, 2017.

1. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

I realized today that this year is pretty much my 10th year of being a serious music listener. however, I still have a very serious lack of knowledge of records pre 2000 (or even 2010 tbh). I've done things in the past in order to remedy that, but I rarely keep up on it as much as I'd like to. let's change that this year.

I could go through the RYM top albums list, or the Pitchfork or Rolling Stones best ever lists...but why do that when I have this community here? I have made a google doc to keep track of things that people suggest that I need to listen to this year. I will be keeping track of when it was suggested, when I listened to it, and even who recommended it. I hope to listen to anything on the list within a month or two of it being recommended, and I'd love this thread to continue through the year.

Now, I don't want this to just be people telling me their favorite albums and to listen to them. In order to not be overwhelmed, i ideally want records to hit as many of these marks as possible:

1. Older records, especially those pre 90s, will be very highly appreciated, since as I said I lack a lot of knowledge of records from back then.
    2. Influential records: I'd love to listen to some seminal and important early hip hop, metal, etc that I haven't spent time listening. this is a great opportunity for me to really go back and see how the genres I like really developed over time.
    3. Smaller/less famous artists from an older time period are also really fascinating to me due to the how the passage of time pre-internet could easily lose track of some of these artists.
    4. Diverse records: I want to move out of my comfort zone. Foreign language, world music, eastern influenced music is something I would really like to get more used to, and learn to appreciate more.
    5. Artists ahead of their time: something that sounds fresh today but came out 30 years ago is something I want to listen to. Kate Bush/Bjork are the definition of thing that falls into this category
    6. Being on streaming is a major plus but not necessary, though those records may fall by the wayside if so

This isn't meant to be a self indulgent project, I do not plan to do reviews of things I listen to, or comment on everything I do. Nobody cares what I actually think of these records. This is something to fill in the gaps of my musical knowledge using my favorite musical community on the web. So yeah, it'd be great if you guys could help out with this!

the google doc is here if you want to follow my progress: Cwhit Recs 2017

2. cwhit

EngineDown and sophos34 like this.
  3. TheVandyMan

Please stop deleting my custom title Prestigious

I think this is a record that hits a few of the niches you're looking for, but I'll start you off by recommending Paul Simon's Graceland. It's the seminal album by a great singer-songwriter, and Simon collaborated with black South African musicians and artists when the country was still under apartheid rule. The influences span all kinds of genres, from African street music to Creole-style zydeco, and it's just a damn fine album with amazing pop sensibilties.

cwhit likes this.
  4. TheWater(s)

Kiss The Sky Prestigious

Fela Kuti and Afrika 70's album "Zombie"came out I think in 1976 and it's at least on Spotify.

5. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

This was at least partly inspired by the fact that I found out this weekend this motherfucker hasn't even heard of "There Is A Light (That Never Goes Out)"

6. cwhit

did not even think of that situation when i made this, lol

7. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

8. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

^that Smiths situation should be rectified immediately.

I'm not super up on non guitar based stuff, but this year I found John Coltrane via the jazz thread, and I highly recommend A Love Supreme. Unrelated, but those chromatic riffs that Steve from Pup utilizes? At a show he said he partially learned how to do it from studying Coltrane. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...CFswDg&usg=AFQjCNGO5AIWe-BPRySkcar2vFM49TAK_Q

9. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

Sepultra's Roots album is a great 90's metal album with some Brazilian musical influences.

Gotta check out pantera's vulgar display of power and slayer's reign in blood if you haven't yet, def influential metal albums.

^^i second the Coltrane Rec, and might add miles davis' bitches brew/kind of blue.

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  10. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

This is gonna be a nice thread. Also seems obvious but always worth mentioning is that Black Sabbath, at least the first 3-4 albums, were the precursor to a LOT of guitar based genres, mostly metal and punk based stuff. You can trace a lot back to those first few albums. It's like Slint's Spiderland but on a bigger scale. Of course, they get kinda goofy, as a lot of those classic bands with lognevity tended to get

11. cherrywaves

Trusted

Sade

12. cwhit

13. Snewt

Does whatever a spider can. Prestigious

Pre-Stankonia Outkast is not only important but incredible. I can give you specific tracks if needed, but ATLiens, Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik, and Aquemini are all great hip-hop albums. I mean they even spelled muzik your favorite way, c'mon.

OotyPa and cwhit like this.
  14. cherrywaves

Trusted

Love Deluxe (my avatar)
    Diamond Life

Really good R&B

15. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

Aquemini is one of my fav hip hop albums of all time.

OotyPa, muttley and Snewt like this.
  16. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

De La Soul - 3 Feet High And Rising
    Run DMC- Raising Hell
    Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique

Snewt likes this.
  17. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Two well known, but probably off the wall for this thread, bands that featured legends before they went on to their more popular careers.

The Yardbirds: The band featured, at various points, three of the greatest guitar players ever. In order: Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page. You'd have to dig into who was in the band when to pick out their individual contributions, but Five Live Yardbirds is a good starting point (Clapton is on that album for what it's worth).

Faces: Rod Stewart on vocals, Ronnie Wood before he joined the Rolling Stones and Kenney Jones before he replaced Keith Moon in The Who. They only released four albums, but I'd pick A Nod... or Ooh La La before the other two.

18. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

oh boyyy

19. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

You know it's easy to get me talking about older music. Any particular areas/eras/styles you're interested in? Or artists you want to know where to start? Or just looking generally?

Wharf Rat and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  20. TheWater(s)

Kiss The Sky Prestigious

Want to post more in here but all my recs are second hand straight from @cshadows2887

21. cwhit

oh, believe me, i immediately knew to tag you in here, haha.

more generally, though i sort of put the things that most interested me rec wise in the OP. though knowing me, i'll probably like things that are more intimate sounding, i'm not really expecting to like a lot of the big rock bands that get recced here very much but i'm giving everything a try.

22. schlotty

sophos34's sponsor

Replacements or bust

23. George

Trusted Prestigious

This is a cool thread, ta for bringing it to my attention!

I'm moving to South Africa tomorrow so i won't be at my computer to give/listen to recs for a few days, but when I get settled, I'll check in and post/hopefully listen to a few!

cwhit likes this.
  24. cwhit

i really respect your diverse, deep taste of music, past and present, so i definitely wanted some recommendations from you

25. George

Trusted Prestigious

A quick one, as I'm on my mobile, regarding the "diverse" records, there is a World Music thread on here where I put together a little list of world records that I liked, with a mini description of the artist and a recommended album;

World Music

By no ways an all encompassing list, but there's lots of good records on there.

cwhit likes this.