Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

(Reasons We're Probably Not) Dating Or In A Relationship Thread NSFW • Page 907

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by dylan, Apr 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. SlappinCups

Hurley apologist Prestigious

right right right harry i know who you're talkin about

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  2. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

'ARRY POTTAH

SlappinCups likes this.
  3. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Jeff Bridges > Jim Carrey

4. Mr. Serotonin

I honestly was wondering why that term was being used too

MrCon likes this.
  5. SlappinCups

Hurley apologist Prestigious

6. Mr. Serotonin

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE HIGHLANDER!

SlappinCups likes this.
  7. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

it's not about dissing the genre. They are literally never replying in defense of the genre. The replies are always arguing like "if you like the pop on the radio all that stuff is practically edm anyway" or, like the example I already gave, "if you like such and such music, that counts as electronic!" (the subtext being "so your profile is wrong").
    I don't know how else to say that trust me I understand the difference between people being dicks, or being dicks as a result of misogyny.

EmmanuelSCastle and ChaseTx like this.
  8. supernovagirl

to add: it's mansplaining because they are always trying get across one point: your profile is wrong, and I'm going to tell you why.

they're trying to correct me.

9. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I tell that to girls all of the time if they mention liking DC over Marvel. I've never been accused of mansplaining by any of them, but they more than likely take it as me flirting because I don't randomly use it as the first message.

10. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

If you're stating you don't like something you can't be surprised if there is backlash dude....

Also, sayin it's "mansplaning" is silly. There's only men seeing your profile!!!!

11. supernovagirl

once again it's not about the genre at all. It's never "you're wrong for not liking it." like I'm assuming your messages are. it's "you're wrong for SAYING you don't like it". It's not about my opinion at all.

Furthermore there are LOTS of problematic behaviors that are commonly seen as "flirting" tactics, that doesn't mean I have to put up with them.

Actually, I do find it surprising that so many people think that "backlash" is good material for a first message on a dating site.

And honestly telling me I'm silly for calling it like I see it is pretty dismissive. I already stated that, as someone who identifies as a fairly ~woke feminist~, I can tell the difference between being a dick, flirting, and mansplaining.

12. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Yeah, I just use it to pick on them and to lighten the mood. I don't say it in a condescending way. However, if they say they liked Suicide Squad I may get personal.

13. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

I don't get how someone can 'mansplain' about music. Everyone in this world argues about what music to like and not to like.

14. supernovagirl

I liked suicide squad fight me

also don't I just have a very low bar for movies

15. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

lol well you related it to movies that may require low bars of expectation so I won't get personal this time.

supernovagirl likes this.
  16. supernovagirl

because its not about what to like and not to like. I'm trying to explain that it's about correcting me or "gotcha"-ing me and trying to one-up. It's condescending and it's rooted in misogyny.
    Like you don't have to see it the same way but uh I'm also a woman with a lot of experience with it and if I say something feels like mansplaining/misogyny (and I already clarified I have a pretty good gauge of the difference) it would just be nice to be believed and heard tbh

RJ Knorr, EmmanuelSCastle and ChaseTx like this.
  17. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

So they are saying cause you're a woman you don't know what good music is? Unless they straight up are saying that. I ain't buyin it.

Again, if you're stating dislikes for something, you're asking for it. Just take it off your profile, holy jeezus.

18. supernovagirl

I... really don't know how to explain it any further. You're literally not getting it. It's not about "knowing what good music is" its not about taste at all. It's literally always about knowledge of music genre. It's about trying to catch me and correct me. I gave numerous examples and if you fail to see the difference I just dont know what to tell you anymore besides agree to disagree I guess

19. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

BECAUSE IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE FACT YOU'RE A GUY OR GIRL. ITS A HUMAN TO HUMAN INTERACTION THAT HAPPENS ALL THE DAMN TIME ON THIS VERY WEBSITE.

ouy vey.

Sorry guys I just can't take this today haha.

20. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

I hate 2018

21. supernovagirl

I've tried pretty hard to explain myself and you're being like incredibly rude but okay.
    When a woman says that a behavior is misogynistic it would be nice to be heard instead of challenged that's all.

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  22. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Yup well, it's allowed to be challenged, and I don't mind challenging it because I am a complete gentlemen to every women in my life. Throwing misogyny into something like a music taste debate is silly. Just because I say someone is being an asshole to me doesn't mean I am always right, I can have a part in it too.

23. supernovagirl

I literally don't know how many times I can say it's NOT a "music taste debate" whatsoever. If only you were interested in actually listening to what I'm saying instead of just trying to prove me wrong.
    I'm not "throwing" misogyny into anything. I'm calling out what's there. When a woman calls out something as misogynistic you may not agree but you should at least be listening to find out why.

EmmanuelSCastle and ChaseTx like this.
  24. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Okay, so what is it then?

25. supernovagirl

If you're really interested in knowing, then read back on my posts. I explained it more than once and I'm tired of repeating myself.

Here's the thing, when a woman calls something misogynistic/sexist/problematic, it might be a shock to you. You might not see at all how that could be the case, because it's incredibly common for this patriarchal society to normalize these behaviors. However, a tip: the way to move forward is to ask questions that will aid in your understanding. Your intent should never be to argue and dismiss their claims (ie: call them silly)

on that note I'm walking away because I'm really confused and hurt by this website. It seems SO progressive that it's going to leave me behind most days, and in this very thread was people spouting off how left/progressive they are, but then when I want to talk about my feminist perspective on a misogonysitc behavior, I'm going at it by myself.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.