Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Real Time With Bill Maher (HBO) TV Show • Page 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Larry David, Jul 5, 2016.

1. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

I mean, you're right. But like I said, I'd defend Louie's bit and think Maher is a clown. But at the end of the day, it's probably best if white people just don't use the word at all.

edit: Also, just curious... Since you're still supporting Louis, but ostensibly boycotting Maher, how do you feel about the sexual assault allegations against Louis?

2. Morrissey

Trusted

I have been watching every episode of Maher's show for years, and for the last few months I have been on the fence about continuing to watch it because it has become so painful to watch. Having Louise Mensch as a guest multiple times should have been the final straw, but there is also having Yiannopoulus, Tomi Lahren, Roger Stone, Joy Reid, and so many other useless bomb throwers on the show. At the show's best, it would have interesting journalists talking in ways you would not see on other shows, but as Internet journalism has expanded, there is less and less reason to watch unfunny bits full of bad guests every week.

3. Joel Jun 7, 2017
    (Last edited: Jun 7, 2017)
    Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Here's the thing: I do not condone the use of this word, at all. I do not see a huge difference between Louis saying "that ______ made the shit out of my coffee" regarding a white man and Bill referring to himself as a "house ______" directly quoting Gone With the Wind. It was fucking stupid and I sincerely wish he hadn't, but I think there is a weird double standard here with Chance calling for his show to be cancelled yet never apologizing for the word ***got? The mob is out for Maher and I don't see how this is any worse that comedians/artists using shitty language and apologizing for it. I have no right to say how someone should feel when they hear that word, but I feel a lot worse when it is said in a malicious way and I really don't see malice in Bill's comment. Stupidity yes, but hate...not really. Reading Killer Mike's tweet storm about it in which he thinks marginalized communities have much bigger things to worry about then a television host saying something dumb was interesting to say the least. Nobody has to agree with me, but I think it's unfair to praise the Louis bit about taking the power out of words and then calling to end someone's career due to the power of a word. I think words matter, but intent should matter more.

I think he's a fucking idiot for doing it, but I find the panel discourse interesting and informative and I likely will keep watching with caution

Please don't ban me

truelovewaits and suicidesaints like this.
  4. Morrissey

Trusted

He wasn't quoting Gone With the Wind, and that is a racist movie anyway.

It is just another in a long line of racist and sexist things he has said in the past, more of a last straw than anything else.

suicidesaints likes this.
  5. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

I thought it was lifted straight out of the book - I've seen it pointed out multiple times but I could be very wrong as I haven't read it and never will

6. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Tetra's right though. This isn't the first ridiculous thing that Maher has done/said.

7. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Definitely, I just don't like this "you're not actually going to watch that!" mentality - I can still take something of value away from the show while not condoning everything that is said on it.

That being said, I can still get my current events fix from Bee and Oliver with a clean conscience. If an alternative show with a panel discussion presents itself, I'd opt for it instead for sure

8. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

For sure. I'm not trying to hang Maher either. I might still find reason to tune in now and again, but I won't probably won't support him financially.

Joel likes this.
  9. Morrissey

Trusted

It was a much more neutral question than that.

I can't watch Samantha Bee because she is too much of a Democratic Party hack, but Oliver has some decent stuff sometimes.

10. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

That was more aimed at the general liberal response, you're post was far less accusatory - sorry for that.

On a lighter note, Bee is the best forever

11. Morrissey

Trusted

You are right, though, that there is a certain level of hypocritical outrage. A lot of these people repeatedly watched or went on Maher's show when he has said some other questionable things.

12. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

In the good timeline Maher has been cancelled for a long time and Wilmore's show is going strong.

13. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Does Maher still get decent ratings? I assume it's still on because it's so cheap to produce. I don't know anyone that watches.

14. Morrissey

Trusted

15. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Wow. Guess he's still doing pretty well. Will be interesting to watch the ratings over the next few weeks.

16. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

I just never found the appeal of Maher. Always comes off thinking he's the smartest person in the room and couldn't be less funny. Nothing worse than the guy who makes a joke then smirks waiting for you to laugh.

17. Morrissey

Trusted

I saw Maher's standup a few years ago and was thoroughly unimpressed. It was more or less just a complete retread of his Real Time material. There was almost nothing new in it. His movie Religulous is a poor attempt at aping Michael Moore's style.

18. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Cube called him out pretty hard...nice

19. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

I thought last night was good. He didn't have an easy night, and he took it all well. He also seemed genuine in his apologies

20. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

Oh, some bougie black folks forgave him, so it's all good now.

21. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

What would you like to see happen? I am not being facetious but I would really like to hear your thoughts. This is about how I pictured it being handled within the Real Time structure.

22. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

He's been racist for a while. That idea that he can then be absolved by these black gatekeepers, all of whom aim to be a spokesperson for our community, is ridiculous. Next week, he will continue on with his stereotypes and Islamaphobia, and because some people of color gave him a lecture, it will be permissible. I think that framework is weak and does little to hold people accountable; rather, it ultimately centers white people and makes anti-racism a confessional-like practice by which white people get to feel good again.

23. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

I'm a white male, and I thought the whole apology/lecture was pretty ridiculous.

He's just like "I'm a comic, and comedians are always looking for a laugh. I wasn't thinking... but I've been doing this show for 20 something years and..."