Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Real Time With Bill Maher (HBO) TV Show • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Larry David, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Morrissey

Trusted

I also didn't realize that Scahill, one of the best recurring guests on the show, canceled because of him. What a way to tank your own show.

2. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

weird format last night too....the panel portion was really quick and then the part with Remini was separate from the panel, when usually the spot is used for another panel addition.

truelovewaits likes this.
  3. domotime2

im glad i saw this. i get it now.

4. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

I need to remember to watch this later

5. Henry

Moderator Moderator

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  6. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

I have to think Milo's appearance didn't hurt his chances of getting what he had coming to him. He was put on display in a new set of eyes (mine included) and it allowed more people to smell his bullshit. Maher and the panel essentially treated Milo like the clown that he was, specifically in the Over Time portion of the show. The one on one definitely left some things to be desired.

domotime2 likes this.
  7. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

Larry was awesome.

truelovewaits and chewbacca110 like this.
  8. Morrissey

Trusted

Maher is right, though, in that when he was given that much exposure people dug through his past and killed his career.

9. Morrissey

Trusted

Louise Mensch being on the show is arguably a lower moment than even Yiannopoulos. She is one of the most deranged people in media today.

10. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

well, this was...awkward.

11. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

The episode tomorrow is going to be so good with everything that's happened in the past two weeks. He has a lot of material to catch up on after the week break.

Joel, Why Bother? and chewbacca110 like this.
  12. Morrissey

Trusted

He certainly seemed comfortable dropping that racial slur into the conversation.

suicidesaints, jkauf and thedrudo like this.
  13. domotime2

Woof. Bill Bill Bill....whatd you Do!

suicidesaints likes this.
  14. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Yikes... I don't take the same issues with him that most of the left does but this one is just indefensible.

15. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Very excited for Ice Cube post-controversy. I hope he won't mince words with Bill.

16. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Man, I wanted to make a "lemonade, read the sign" joke, but then saw Ice Cube instead of Ice-T.

I feel like Cube is less likely to call him out on it than T would have been, but maybe.

17. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Doubt that Cube brings it up, but it should be interesting.

18. Morrissey

Trusted

Does this imply you are still going to watch his show?

19. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

I never really watched it in the past.

I'm interested to see if Cube talks about it, so I might check out that particular episode, but I'll doubt I'll watch any others unless there's a specific guest I'm interested in. Either way, I'll be torrenting it.

20. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Uh, didn't you watch Horace and Pete?

21. Morrissey

Trusted

Yes. What is the comparison?

22. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

23. Morrissey

Trusted

What does this have to do with Maher? Maher, for no reason, decided to drop that racial slur into a conversation that had nothing to do with black people or slavery. Louis C.K.'s bit reflects more on people who talk about the controversy of Maher's behavior without using the word (which I have done as well).

24. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Louis bit is definitely much more tasteful (even though it uses the n-word) and funnier, but he's still a white guy using the n-word in a joke. Same thing that Maher did. I agree that Maher has less of a reason to use the word, and Louie may have actually made people think about it a little more, but at the end of the day it's still a white guy using a racial slur.

That being said, I would probably defend Louie's bit and condemn Maher's, but that's more to do with the fact that Louie's bit was thought provoking and funny and Maher's was not. But at the end of the day, white guys should just not say it. Period.

25. Morrissey

Trusted

The two are completely different. C.K.'s bit is about admitting his own flaws, while Maher thinks he can make those types of references out of thin air because he is supposedly so edgy. The context is different.