Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Real Friends Part Ways With Frontman • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Feb 14, 2020.

1. j0nnymarrzbar

Regular

Damn their last album was solid aswell; had some real Starting Line vibes

Bartek T. likes this.
  2. I agree with this take the most. Even when I was feeling the most negative towards the band (basically the first two records) Dan always kept me coming back. He was a huge part of why Composure is so satisfying. I am very curious how the band pulls this off.

RileyWitiw likes this.
  3. tyler2tall

Trusted Supporter

Never really got into them before, but really dug the TSL vibes from their last album. They could have carried that torch. Major Bummer.

CMilliken likes this.
  4. latortuga

Regular

Only album from this band I have jammed is Composure and it rules. This sucks

CMilliken likes this.
  5. TedSchmosby

Trusted

I’m sure it’s for the best but I am a bit surprised. Composure was so great, I thought they had hit their stride and would keep running. Can’t imagine what’ll happen now. Well wishes to them all

CMilliken likes this.
  6. Ellite25

Regular

Pretty surprising and a bummer. Their last album was great.

7. gbuffers Feb 15, 2020
    (Last edited: Feb 15, 2020)
    gbuffers

England.

Without his voice, it won’t be Real Friends. He made or cemented the band and was such a big part of who they are. Above and beyond that - and I’ve just realised I’ve always made a presumption that he wrote the lyrics without actually checking - but one of the reasons I was so in to them was because I related to what they were saying possibly more than any band before, on a personal level.

So shocked by this - I’m not some hardcore fan but they’re one of my favourite new bands for a long while. I’ve enjoyed everything they’ve put out. Such a shame - but knowing about his problems with mental health and touring it makes sense.

CMilliken likes this.
  8. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

I believe Kyle writes most of the lyrics

9. CMilliken

Trusted

Yep. I think he did up until their second album when Dan started to help.

10. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Makes sense why Composure was so we'll received then haha

koryoreo likes this.
  11. slickdtc

Regular Supporter

Clearly I’m in the minority where I felt like Dan tried too hard on their first 2 LP’s. I love all their full band (non-acoustic) EP’s. With Composure it felt like he began to just sing again instead of whine through things, which just never felt right to me. I enjoyed their pop punk vibe more then their emo delivery, which felt forced.

Composure I always said felt like a record full of singles, in a way singles are oftentimes the highlight of a record. Each song stands on its own and could be my favorite of the whole thing on any given day.

For that reason, I could see these guys continuing to see success with someone who’s got a great vocal delivery. I wonder if they’ll bring someone in from the scene or bring in a new face. RF has always championed other bands from their area so mining the Chicago scene for a replacement might be their course. Tough shoes to fill because clearly Dan is loved and does have a recognizable voice and influence beyond just being the frontman for a successful band.

12. Rawrz

Regular

Guess i shall miss those boney knees

13. robargarthan

never really liked this band but i saw them open for Senses Fail one time where they covered Raining Blood and had a full pit going. i thought that was pretty funny.

latortuga likes this.
  14. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Wow, their last record was easily the best of their catalogue. He's so close to Kenny from TSL, like, that's gonna be a hard voice to replace.

CMilliken likes this.
  15. Tom

It's way too late, or much too early Prestigious

I was really really into this band back when they first put out Everyone That Dragged You Here. They were still playing a bunch of DIY venues at that point, so it was cool to see them blow up like did.

koryoreo likes this.
  16. Walkabout

Regular

“Ohhh noooo”

17. MegT585

Trusted

Really interested to see who they get to fill his spot. Hope he is doing okay I know he’s been open with mental health troubles in the past

CMilliken likes this.