Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Real Friends / Have Mercy / Tiny Moving Parts / Broadside / nothing,nowhere. Tour • Page 2

Discussion in 'Tour Forum' started by kidinthebushes, Jan 14, 2017.

1. josh-

Twitter: @joshcaraballin

Yeah when I first started going to shows I wanted to be into every single band playing. Some of the first shows I went to were 7 band billed radio shows and I loved every second of it lol.

2. y2jayjk

Trusted Prestigious

A guy in Slingshot Dakota is getting really angry on his FB about this bill

3. kidinthebushes

Trusted

Link?

4. y2jayjk

Trusted Prestigious

Contender likes this.
  5. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

I hope Have Mercy drop a new album before this

MegT585 likes this.
  6. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

i mean yeah, this is a gross bill, how can you have five bands with no women

i mean read the modern baseball tour thread if you need more background on this. APA was the same agency that booked that tour as well

7. btr

Trusted Supporter

They tweeted about a new album coming out in the spring

8. withchappedlips

#nothingiseasy

What was the point in calling out Tiny Moving Parts here? I get that they are part of the bill and the bill has zero diversity, but that was so stupid to just throw in like that.

y2jayjk and btr like this.
  9. koryoreo

Trusted Supporter

That just comes off as childish and juvenile. It is a problem within the scene, but this is just the latest of many pop punk/emo tour lineups to not feature any diversity. I think Real Friends is an easy target due to their fanbase. I didn't see anyone calling out Moose Blood, Senses Fail, Mayday Parade, Four Year Strong, Bayside or Say Anything for doing the same exact thing. It's a double standard if you aren't lashing out at every band that does this shit.

marissalg and kidinthebushes like this.
  10. cwhit

slingshot has called out the last three big tours that have done this (menzingers, modern baseball, this tour). it has been consistent.

FYS, bayside, say anything aren't really in the same wheelhouse

Contender likes this.
  11. koryoreo

Trusted Supporter

Just wondering and playing devils advocate, how are they not in the same wheelhouse? Bayside is my favorite band of all time and I've seen them 15+ times. The only band I can ever remember them touring with that had females in it was Meg and Dia. I don't think I've ever seen FYS tour with bands with females in them.

Edit: Anthony has had Alison Weiss and Laura Stevenson out on his solo tours in the recent past, but my point still stands.

12. btr

Trusted Supporter

Real Friends addressed it on Twitter when someone tweeted at them. Again it was them not having total control over the lineup, schedules not lining up, and bands turning down the tour for whatever reason. They're aware of the problem, but their hands are often tied.

And all the hate for Tiny Moving Parts from that Slingshot Dakota member is ridiculous. Maybe put out an album as good as one of Tiny Moving Parts' and you might get offered more tours?

13. cwhit

i'm saying the scene where slingshot dakota and modern baseball and company are. it's like, are you keeping track of metal tours? probably not, and slingshot isn't eyeing tours where it's bands like four year strong. real friends has at least reached into the scene where things are closer to slingshot (have mercy, TMP, etc), so these tours are talked about far more by people who they see regularly on social media.

it's a huge problem in the others but slingshot isn't keeping an eye out for every tour.

all i'm really saying is that bands should be held accountable until things change

Contender likes this.
  14. cwhit

the slingshot album was far better than TMP's stuff

also not having total control? hold your booking agents accountable. schedules lining up? look for more bands. bands turning down the tour? shocker, women don't want to tour with a band that apparently has done some weird things with women and will be part of a scene that isn't the most welcoming.

15. cwhit

it really sucks having to have this discussion every time something like this happens. not going to stop me from making the same points over and over again, it's more important to keep pushing this and maybe make a small difference for one person every time than avoid all the stress from stupid internet conversations. sigh.

and i'm even a white dude who doesn't even have to deal with this regularly and it's still fucking stressful. i can't even imagine how it feels to be dealing with this literally all the time. hence why i'm very glad to help so some of these other voices can rest at times

MegT585, marsvoltamcr and Joe4th like this.
  16. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

And every thread someone feels the need to be the "devil's advocate". Maybe stop doing that and start understanding why this is a problem?

17. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

Out of curiosity, which bands with female members would fit on a bill like this? I ask because I am way out of the loop, not because I don't think they exist.

18. cwhit

Katie Ellen, Petal, Slingshot Dakota, Tigers Jaw (though they probably can't tour right now), Martha (from the UK), Diet Cig, I could keep going. Those are all bands that aren't too outside the norm of this genre. If you want to get more scene specific, no, there aren't any. But that's an issue with the scene in general and needs to be changed, the best way to do that is to get women on stage. The reason why these bands are all so associated with each other is because labels like pure noise just won't sign bands with women in it. I guarantee there are bands out there that fit these bills that we just don't know about because nobody gave them a chance.

This is a five band bill, your fifth band down won't make a difference. Balance and Composure put Mercury Girls on first and they barely fit the bill but they were fucking awesome.

19. josh-

Twitter: @joshcaraballin

Milk Teeth would've worked

20. Darth Annihilus

Regular

If you truly believe that's the case would you really want a band with females in it to join this tour? I'm all about diversity, but I wouldn't want somebody to be on the road for an extended amount of time in a potentially unsafe environment.

21. cwhit

i don't disagree. but that's the scariest thing of it all. what do we do in that situation? why do we want more women on warped tour when it's proven to be a very dangerous situation? ...i really don't know. and that's scary. how is it possible that we are scared that some other person that isn't a white male could be endangered being in a specific situation? just so fucked up that we even have to ask that.

22. estacey99

Oh yeah, oh yeah, everything is terrible.

spotify password for Toronto: thehomeinsidemyhead

23. SkyGrowsBigger

Regular

Probably going to catch some flack here but would having say Milk Teeth on here really change anything? Of course it's a step in the right direction but one girl and like 20 dudes is still going to get people riled up. Then you might say, they should get two bands with women it in. That in concept would be great, but now we're expecting 40% of the bands on every tour to have women? Are there even enough bands in this scene to support that? Like obviously more needs to be done from an inclusion perspective but I do understand the logistic nightmare of booking a two month tour with ANY five bands, much less a bill that has multiple bands with females. Steps need to be taken but until the scene is safer for women and these women eventually start their own bands and tour, etc., there are going to be growing pains where there simply aren't enough bands with women for every tour to have the representation people want. Like Petal can't support everyone...

24. withchappedlips

#nothingiseasy

Petal would be unbelievable support on any tour. Can they headline big tours someday? Please?

25. MegT585

Trusted

If anyone needs tickets for the buffalo date of this...I bought 3 but no longer can go. I would be willing to sell them less than face value just to make sure someone uses them.