Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Real Friends - Composure (July 13, 2018) Album • Page 17

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by SmithBerryCrunch, Jun 18, 2018.

1. dzyjay

Regular

This sounds exactly like Dan haha.

2. dzyjay

Regular

Legit thought it was Dan singing on this, legit had to check in to see if I was crazy. So good!

3. BigMouth Feb 11, 2022
    (Last edited: Feb 11, 2022)
    It doesn't have any of Dan's midwestern accent. I don't think they sound worlds apart, but Cody does not have that particular tone to his voice. He could be from anywhere in North America, while Dan is clearly from the Midwest.

Edit: It's not just Cody's vocals that make this less unique to me, I generally think the composition on these new tracks uses less unique techniques in pop punk these days than Composure did. Listen to the more lighthearted riffs on "On the Outside" and compare it to this. It's just more straightforward and less interesting to me. Glad you like it though!

4. manoverboard365

Trusted

Been listening to this new song quite a bit lately. Nervous Wreck and Storyteller are still the two best things they've done in this new era, but this new song definitely sounds the most like the Dan era.

5. cosmickid

Composer, but never composed.

how could anyone listen to that singer and think it was dan lol

BigMouth likes this.
  6. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

New song clip

7. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

And here's the full thing.

beachdude and AlwaysEvolving21 like this.
  8. Badtasteinmusic

Regular

I mean it’s good but it’s definitely missing what made this band special for me!

9. WasEmoRocknowImjustold

Not newbie, I think Supporter

I like this song more than any other one's from the new singer and I think it suites his voice best. They can't go continuing to have him sing "Dan" songs. I'm excited for an album from them and to kind of reframe how I think of the band. We got to get over it lol. There's something about Dan's voice that turns what is otherwise kind of run of the mill (though still good) sound of this genre into one of the best bands in the genre. Hopefully that catches to the new singer as well.

10. this is pretty much it. People seem to love it tho so good for the band! I think this just isn't for me anymore.

anotherpancake likes this.
  11. Cmoney86

Trusted

New song out in the 31st called six feet

12. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

so everyone just gave up on this band i take it? i'm listening to the new album for the first time and yeah it's generic as fuck but god damn, the chorus on "the damage is done" is fucking massive. i'm really enjoying it for what it is.

13. It's fine pop punk for the most part (not a fan of the acoustic track) but totally faceless. Still not on board with this iteration of the band sadly. I miss Dan's voice and when I need that itch scratched I listen to Composure, which is just such a solid record.

falafelmywaffle likes this.
  14. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Haven't listened to the album yet, but I will say Tell Me You're Sorry is a banger

JoshIsMediocre likes this.
  15. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I really like the new album actually, it’s definitely closer to older RF but I’d prefer this by far to anything pre-Composure

16. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I didn’t even know there was a new album out. Definitely listening to this later.

Wait. Is this another EP?

17. I think it's fair to say this is better than most pre-Composure stuff, the band was incredibly hit or miss back then (more miss than hit, honestly). But that stuff had an identity through Dan's voice, and this just feels like it could be any mid-2010s band. Songwriting has definitely improved from the pre-Composure days.

18. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

7 new songs/ two acoustic covers.

19. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Yeah this is it

falafelmywaffle and BigMouth like this.
  20. twisterman2006

Trusted Supporter

Really wish I could get into these songs. The songwriting is good and some of their best work for sure, but just something about it feels so flat.
    I adored Composure and most stuff prior.

falafelmywaffle likes this.
  21. AlwaysEvolving21 Mar 2, 2023
    (Last edited: Mar 2, 2023)
    AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I enjoyed the new songs. I like Cody’s voice.

I’m Not Ready is GREAT.

Sherlock Mahomes likes this.
  22. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

I mostly checked out after Dan left and what I’ve heard with Cody just does not interest me.

Matt504 likes this.
  23. btr

Trusted Supporter

24. koryoreo

Trusted Supporter

Wouldn’t be shocked if they did a 10 year tour for the those EP’s, but it would also be very weird for them to play all those songs without Dan. I just can’t get into Cody’s voacals unfortunately.

ALT/MSC/FAN likes this.
  25. twisterman2006

Trusted Supporter

Feel like it's kinda backwards to remix/remaster those and not do a digital release..?

Yeah, I don't dislike Cody's voice either, just not my favorite. Last album got a couple listens from me but that was about it. Not bad, but Real Friends' charm was a lot of Dan, imo.

Snoblin likes this.