Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Real Friends Announce EP

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 24, 2021.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Real Friends will release their new EP, Torn in Two, on September 17th. Today they’ve shared a video for the new song “Teeth.”

more

Not all embedded content is displayed here. You can view the original to see embedded videos, tweets, etc.

2. slickdtc

Regular Supporter

Looking forward to this (same release date as Spiritbox!). Loved their last album after a couple off, obviously big changes with a new vocalist. They may sound a bit more generic now (Dan, although kinda whiny sometimes, had a unique enough voice to me) but I’ve never gone to this band to rewrite the genre. I liked the singles they’ve had out. This single is not my style, a bit slow, probably to show off the new vocalist. Can’t win ‘em all.

Orla, Freezon and theasteriskera like this.
  3. CMilliken

Trusted

Still waiting to see if the new vocalist will grow on me. Dan really had quite a unique voice. Glad he’s still doing stuff with Rationale. May not preorder this one but wait to stream it to see if it’s something I want to have in my collection.

Also may want to get a new band photo for RF.

4. sowrongitsryan

Regular

Idk I like the new guy better. Maybe because I think “storyteller” is better than any song Dan ever sang - but I also could never stop myself from thinking he sounded like Kenny vasoli, but more “emo” and with less talent.

5. theasteriskera

Trusted Supporter

I loved the first 2 songs with the new singer, but this doesn't do much for me. Can't wait to hear the rest of the EP though!

6. parkerxcore

Somebody's gonna miss us Supporter

I would've preferred a full length in lieu of the re-imagined songs. I think when you get a new vocalist you need to commit and come out swinging with new songs but it's better than nothing.

cosmickid and CMilliken like this.
  7. mit_backwards

Regular

Album art is...interesting... Digging all the new songs though, even the reimagined ones.

8. Fletchaaa

Trusted Supporter

They better throw in a bony knees lyric for old times sake!

9. Punkrocker

Wiping brings down the rainforest

ooo I really like it. All three of the new songs have been very solid imo.

The band was hit or miss for me until their last LP, which was fantastic. It really felt like a new starting line album. Dan really "found his voice" so to speak. Based on the 3 singles released so far I am still very excited to see what the future holds for these guys. Wishing them all the best.

10. Robert Stewart

Real Friends is fine now; but damn I wish they would have changed their name.. Dan was so unique and musically they've changed quite a bit.

CMilliken likes this.
  11. gbuffers

England.

I feel like they have lost the element that stood them apart from most other bands (whether you liked that or not, a la Jordan from NFG). Now this new stuff just sounds so generic to me that it has completely lost it’s spark. Not to say Dan WAS the band but it just clicked with all of them together. Hopefully it’s just a case of them finding their feet but this does nothing for me, very sadly

CMilliken likes this.
  12. parkerxcore

Somebody's gonna miss us Supporter

I completely agree the 3rd record finally clicked and had that TSL vibe. Echoing everyone here it's good but Dan did bring some unique ingredient to the table.