Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Real Friends – “Mess”

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 6, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. Zoshchenko

Trusted Supporter

One of the more interesting songs instrumentally that they've done. The lyrics are still a bit cringe-worthy though.

3. Eric

Regular

I kinda gave up hope that these guys can write a song with good lyrics. Maybe next album...

Quin Stack likes this.
  4. SweetThye

@sweetthye

Yeah, I've found "Colder, Quicker" to be the only Real Friends song I can enjoy lyrically. I REALLY wish these young bands would stop name dropping bands/artists that influence them and that they enjoy in songs. It's so annoying. Moose Blood and Real Friends are notorious for this and neither band can't write lyrics to save their life. The Summer Set is doing it too with Springsteen song titles and references in every other song. We get it, you like Springsteen, move on.

Eric likes this.
  5. twisterman2006

Trusted Supporter

I've always been a big fan of these guys and really enjoyed this song. I think the three songs off of The Home Inside My Head have been far and away better than most songs from Maybe This Place...
    Can't wait to hear the rest of the album

CMilliken likes this.
  6. CMilliken

Trusted

I completely agree with you. I really enjoy this band. The three songs they're released so far have shown great growth musically and lyrically in my opinion.

7. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah these are clearly Kyle-written lyrics. Wish Dan would've written more for this album.

8. _unproductive

Regular

Kyle is a terrible lyricist... he writes stuff that a 14 year old would write, but he is in his late 20s.

Jacob Davidson and Chinesefood like this.
  9. Chinesefood

Regular

Super turned off by that Death Cab line. Idk when it became cool to reference emo bands in emo songs.

10. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Not bad. Enjoyed it on the first listen.

11. twisterman2006

Trusted Supporter

I definitely understand why it would be a turn off. I don't mind referencing other bands in songs, but thats just me!

12. simplejack

I wish I could say something but silence is fine.

"Every once in a while I listen to Death Cab and think about how it used to be" jeez.. at least all these new songs are really dynamic musically.

13. shawnhyphenray

Regular

This new album is sounding ten times better than the last!

There's a music video for this too

14. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Very pumped for this. I also didn't think the lyrics were as bad as people made out. Still a litle cringe but mostly okay.

CMilliken likes this.
  15. mybreakingpoint

The Greatest Escapegoat

Musically, they seem to really be improving. But this singer subscribes way too hard to the Kenny Vasoli School of Vocals and it's just a huge turn off, as are his lyrics. They seem like hard-working guys though, so good luck to them.

16. twisterman2006

Trusted Supporter

Have definitely noticed the Kenny Vasoli-type vocals in these new songs. Was just listening to Mess thinking the same thing