Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Ready Player One (Steven Spielberg, March 30, 2018) Movie • Page 9

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by fyebes, May 24, 2016.

1. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

2. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

lmao my favorite comment in the comment section is "Spy Kids 3D but for adults".

basically boils down to if you think the references and the basic idea is cynical or goofy you probably wont like it, if you can put up with that youll probably like it.

3. It's even worse in the script. The sex scene is absurd. Hopefully it didn't get filmed.

4. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I was unsure about this due to the trailers but word of mouth is that this is a film worth viewing in the cinema. I’ll probably watch it a few weeks after the release.

5. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

This will be a wild theatre experience. I cannot wait.

Makoto likes this.
  6. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

New trailer. I am HYPE.

Jason Tate likes this.
  7. recall reality

"But existing is basically all I do!" Prestigious

T-Rex scene:

[​IMG]

8. wordzanddreamz

and a millions screams...

Apparently Spielberg shot the real world footage in 35mm and the Oasis stuff on digital. That's pretty sweet.

9. stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

So is 3D not necessary for this movie?

fenway89 likes this.
  10. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

Saw a pre-release screening of this last night and enjoyed it a lot. My wife, who wasn't as well versed on a lot of the video game and culture references, enjoyed it a lot more than she thought she would. The film is a visual masterpiece and all of the pop-culture references didn't feel shoehorned in to me.The plot was pretty conventional but well executed. The acting performances were solid. All in all, it was a nice film that I enjoyed a lot as a casual moviegoer.

11. Anthony_

Really solid, fair review. This is about what I expected.

fenway89 and Jason Tate like this.
  12. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

SmithBerryCrunch and Jason Tate like this.
  13. lightning

So how many of y'all have seen it then

14. AndrewSoup

It's A Secret To Everyone Prestigious

can't get over how Wade's avatar looks like Jack Frost from that Rise of the Guardians movie.

almost done re-reading the book and i'm still so sour about certain elements; looks like from the trailers they changed a lot about the 3 keys/gates (for good reason, so much about those wouldn't work in live action)
    haven't read the screenplay but i hope it's all well executed.

also, has anyone read this article from Vox?
    The Ready Player One backlash, explained

15. Dog with a Blog

I know virtually nothing about this movie or book, but I’m testing this at work for tomorrow and happened to skip to a part that takes place in The Overlook Hotel and that got me pretty intrigued tbh

16. BackyardHero11

Trusted

really excited to see this tonight. over the past month or so used the movie as an excuse to watch the Spielberg filmography in order which was a really enjoyable experience. though Jurassic Park to Schindler's List to JP: The Lost World was a confusing range of emotions haha.

But I'm seeing Ready Player One in one of those XD theatres with wall to wall, floor to ceiling screens, as well as the super fancy "feel like you're there" sound system. pumped.

suicidesaints and chewbacca110 like this.
  17. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Thought the trailers looked awful but the reviews have me hyped for tonight.

Ken likes this.
  18. Anthony_

The fact that this has an 84% on Rotten Tomatoes is shocking to me, it seemed like the critics had been salivating over the opportunity to tear this thing apart for months.

Jason Tate likes this.
  19. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Skimming reviews, I am glad the nostalgia isn't being played up just for nostalgia's sake since that is the not how the book frames it either. The characters and artifacts of yesteryear are used to move the plot ahead instead of being some South Park Member Berries sorta thing.

Anthony_ likes this.
  20. In looking at the reviews for this I saw the list that ranks Spielberg's movies by RT score and am sad Hook was dead last. I loved Hook.

21. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Film Twitter and film critics aren't exactly the same

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  22. BackyardHero11

Trusted

right?? I have never understood the hate that film gets whenever it's discussed on lists and stuff, yet I've never met anyone in my life who doesn't love it haha

fenway89 likes this.
  23. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

RUFIO! RUFIO! RUFIO!

24. Anthony_

I know, I meant critics, not film twitter. It really did seem like the rare situation where film critics and film twitter were in some sort of alignment.

25. BackyardHero11

Trusted

fenway89 likes this.