Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Ready Player One (Steven Spielberg, March 30, 2018) Movie • Page 6

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by fyebes, May 24, 2016.

1. So you didn’t read it. You should before making comments about what it does or doesn’t do.

2. When you're not prejudging the movie at all.

Night Channels and Anthony_ like this.
  3. clucky

Trusted Supporter

"Sorry if you tried reading this book but couldn't get into it you're not allowed to talk about this movie" is everything that worries me about this movie summed up in a nutshell. The gatekeeping will be off the charts.

SmithBerryCrunch likes this.
  4. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I’m judging the marketing.

But whatever. The last time you told me I wasn’t going to like a movie, I did. I hope that’s the case this time, too.

5. If you didn't like the book, you won't like the movie. And, it would make sense to just not see it. It's pretty obvious what the movie is and what the story is, we know who wrote and worked on the script (you can even read the entire thing online!). I don't understanding walking into an In-N-Out and complaining to everyone eating there about how you don't like hamburgers.

Anthony_ likes this.
  6. Nathan

I explained why I want to see the movie despite not feeling the book.

7. And, I’ve read the script. It’s by the author with Penn. It’s not a departure from the book.

8. Nathan

Scripts change when they get made. Directors change things and cut things and put in new things and focus on different things. Sometimes they change a lot, sometimes not much. But again, I am trusting Spielberg, one of my favorite filmmakers of all time, to make something worthwhile, despite the factors that would otherwise not interest me.

9. If your entire premise and hope for why you think you'll like a movie that has a script you won't like (and now multiple trailers showing it to be very much like the script and book you don't like) is "I hope the director changed enough of it" ... uh ... ok. Good luck.

10. Morrissey

Trusted

The entire premise and hope for it being a good movie is because Steven Spielberg is directing it. Multiple people have explained that clearly already.

11. And they said they hope he can make it different than the source material. Which is why that’s what I’m discussing. Guess that wasn’t clear to you.

I don’t know why you keep injecting yourself in conversations with me, does it ever end well for you?

Anthony_ likes this.
  12. Morrissey

Trusted

End well? What does that even mean? This is a conversation about movies.

Steven Spielberg is the most important mainstream American filmmaker over the last forty-plus years. While he has made some bad films, his track record and the number of classic films he has made makes it worth seeing his new films even if the source material and the trailers are questionable. Until the film has been seen, it is an unknown what the value is.

13. Stop quoting me in threads if you want to stay on the website. I do not like you. I do not want to talk to you.

14. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

You just simply cannot comprehend when people have different approaches or understandings of art. It’s absurd watching you attempt to tear people down for not seeing things exactly the way you do.

SmithBerryCrunch likes this.
  15. If you think that’s what “hey I’ve read the script and it’s like the book you don’t like” means then uh ok whatever.

16. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

You don’t seem to understand the role of a director or the auteur theory

17. You don’t seem to understand what I wrote. If you think this movie is going to change the central premise of the story, and your big issues with the book are the story, you’re going to be very disappointed. Cause it doesn’t. If you don’t like nostalgia nerd shit like the book, the movie isn’t gonna all of a sudden make you like that. That’s what the movie is.

18. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

My thoughts summed up in a tweet, specifically the last sentence:

Jason Tate likes this.
  19. Anthony_ Mar 6, 2018
    (Last edited: Aug 27, 2018)
    Anthony_

Anyway this is one of my most anticipated of the year because I enjoy the book, I love Spielberg, and I love pretty much every actor in this thing. Can’t wait to see it.

Jason Tate likes this.

20. Hate boner sums it up.

chewbacca110, Anthony_ and Garrett L. like this.
  21. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

The entire book is a critique of capitalism and the non-stop drive for wealth it inspires hidden behind a thick pouring of nerd nostalgia. So I think the subversive plot y’all are hoping it has IS the plot it already has.

Vivatoto likes this.
  22. BackyardHero11

Trusted

yeah I really like the posters I think it's a fun idea that works for the movie, however, the matrix one does look like garbage haha

Anthony_ likes this.
  23. Nathan

^ People whose taste I trust like the book even though I found it grating, which is another point I brought up for why I’d see it.

But I also think that a celebration and indulgence of the white male nerd who gets to be the best at everything in a post-Gamer Gate, post-Last Jedi backlash, post-female Ghostbusters backlash, post-whatever other white male nerd controversy you want to cite climate, reads less playful or inspiring than the marketing assumes. I think that drives at least some of the hesitance or skepticism we’re seeing.

24. Anthony_

Yeah honestly I’ve been looking for a word to describe the kind of intense gleeful dogpiling we see online these days, especially from film Twitter, and “hate boner” really cuts right to the core of it.

25. Anthony_

Yeah I mean the photoshop on some of them could be better but the vitriol has been almost entirely against their very existence

Jason Tate likes this.