Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Ready Player One (Steven Spielberg, March 30, 2018) Movie • Page 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by fyebes, May 24, 2016.

1. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Started listening to the audiobook of this this morning so that I can get refreshed on the story before the movie. (Have previously read the book once)

Richter915 and Colby Searcy like this.
  2. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

This is my only experience with the book, let me know what you think of the Audiobook

3. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

The audiobook of this is a blast

Jason Tate and Colby Searcy like this.
  4. GBlades

Trusted

I remember getting this in Loot Crate and being fucking blown away.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  5. Colby Searcy

I also got it in LC, and had no clue what it even was. Still have yet to actually READ it, only listened to Audiobook version

6. GBlades

Trusted

I remember thinking that it must have been a shitty book since it was being released that way (such bad logic) but I read it anyway. Glad I did.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  7. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Just about done with the audiobook. I am enjoying it, but I've noticed some of the bad writing a lot more than when I first read the book. Cline tends to repeat things a lot, like sometimes they'll explain a term and then a short time later he'll explain the same thing again.

And I also just rewatched the trailer and looked at the cast list and they made a lot of questionable casting decisions, at least in relation to how the characters are described in the book.

AndrewSoup and Colby Searcy like this.
  8. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

A lot going on, Olivia looks like every Star Wars lead,she is a British brunette

9. BackyardHero11

Trusted

10. stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

I had no idea Olivia Cooke is British. I've never heard her real accent.

11. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

DV8Qj2qVoAAcxwt.jpg

12. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

13. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Those posters are pretty cool

14. The internet is mad. Hah. People are going to irrationally hate this movie. It’s going to definitely happen.

Anthony_ likes this.
  15. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I want to like it because I love Spielberg. I’m not judging it based on the marketing. I don’t care about the book, which I couldn’t get into, because Spielberg and plenty of great directors make subversive masterpieces out of questionable source material.

I do think the marketing is indulgent in the sort of nerd nostalgia that isn’t as quirky as itused to be.

16. If you think the source material is “questionable” ... and don’t like nerd nostalgia ... there’s no way you’ll like the movie. lol. That’s literally what it is.

chewbacca110 and Anthony_ like this.
  17. Nathan

I don’t like the book the Godfather and I don’t like mafia/mob movies, but I love Coppola’s adaptation.

It’s entirely possible I won’t like it. If Spielberg plays the source material straight, I’ll be disappointed. But there are plenty of movies made out of source material I wasn’t fond of that I ended up really loving. Spielberg is arguably the greatest American filmmaker and one of my personal favorite filmmakers. I’m choosing to trust in that and earnestly hoping I like the movie.

brandon_260 likes this.
  18. The Godfather books aren’t like the movies though. At all. Not a very good example.

19. If this movie changes as much about it as the Godfather movies did the books, you’d be able to tell from the trailers. So...

20. Nathan

Fine. Change it to the Wolf of Wall Street.

21. Have you actually read that book?

22. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Why be purposefully obtuse?

23. Colby Searcy

Judge a book by its cover was made for this film

24. Because it’s actually a pretty good book, all things considered, and definitely comparable to the movie’s final product. It’s a weird comparison to make if you’ve read it.

25. Nathan

I started it, did not get far. I find it hard to believe Jordan Belfort had the same scathing critiques of himself, America, capitalism, and justice as the film did. But my point is, you can’t tell what a movie will really be about, what Spielberg will use this story to ultimately say, from marketing alone. A trailer does not always align with a film’s thesis. So I’m not judging the movie based on the white boy who’s incredible at video games and gets to mish mash all his favorite nerd iconography together in a nerd power fantasy premise/trailers. I think Spielberg is a smarter, more thoughtful filmmaker than that, who can bring out more from the source material than I saw in it. I have friends who loved the book, I’m not even necessarily against it wholesale. I just couldn’t get into it and think the marketing is playing the premise straight, which is unappealing to me.