Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Ready Player One (Steven Spielberg, March 30, 2018) Movie • Page 13

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by fyebes, May 24, 2016.

1. The shining scene could be very scary but it’s also very funny. If you have a good audience that could quell the tension.

2. GBlades

Trusted

I finally watched this tonight. I'm a massive fan of the book and I know people are indifferent about a few things but I absolutely loved this film. It wasn't perfect; more of the lore and story could have been established and the challenges for the keys were not as problematic but it was such an enjoyable film. Spielberg was perfect for the nostalgic aspect.

Nate_Johnson and Dodger like this.
  3. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I never read the book, but I thought I'd check this out anyway. It was fine. Had it's moments, but overall it didn't do much for me. The world outside of the Oasis was much more interesting to me, so I wish there had been more that took place there. But, I get why the focus was in the virtual world.

I did really like Mark Rylance in this. Lena Waithe was solid too. Phillip Zhao (kid who played Sho) breathed some life in the little time he was given too.

4. Davjs

Trusted

Loved this. I can confirm that they saved their one use of "fuck" for the perfect moment.

5. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Love the never ending list of movies where a pasty white nerd is the least interesting and competent member of a team of women and POC, but they all sacrifice themselves for him over and over again so he can be the hero.

y2jayjk, coleslawed and supernovagirl like this.
  6. Nathan

In all honesty Spielberg directed the fuck out of this and it was genuinely well crafted and visually stunning. I had issues with tone, but nothing major. Ben Mendelson’s main villain also shouldn’t have been some detached corporate face motivated purely by money. As insidious as the corporitization of niche pop culture and the internet are those who were bred in and obsessed with niche pop culture and the internet who gatekeep it and make it a toxic, venemous space where the agenda is spewing hate and violence and attacking anything that threatens their space, particularly women and people of color having agency. It’s just not possible to make a statement about these themes and settings in 2018 without recognizing that fully, which this film is only superficially interested in.

Overal it was a decent movie, but one I have most of the same issues with that I had with the source material.

Dodger likes this.
  7. Nathan

If people liked this movie they should see the Congress and/or Sunmer Wars

8. 'will say the movie is fine and Spielberg did some great technical stuff but the story is gross for all of the same reasons already listed'

Pretty good guess.

9. Nathan

ya got me. congratulations.

SmithBerryCrunch likes this.
  10. Davjs

Trusted

The only real flaw I had an issue with was the police coming to save the day at the end. I figured in this future, police were not a thing since a company is able to go around enslaving people. Seemed like a random ending when you could have had the community stand up to him instead (what I thought they were setting up).

And also super huge props to the CGI team on this. It looked very cartoony but also blended really well into the live scenes of the Shinning, hit the perfect blend.

Nate_Johnson and aoftbsten like this.
  11. NJPunkMusic

Die rad.

loved this movie both viewings.

Dodger likes this.
  12. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

13. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

uh

14. BackyardHero11

Trusted

my friend hasn't seen this yet and so i may very well go see it a third time! can't wait for the bluray, keep waiting for the announcement of special features and what not. hoping for a solid making of.

Davjs likes this.
  15. BackyardHero11

Trusted

Davjs likes this.
  16. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

RyanPm40 and SmithBerryCrunch like this.
  17. NJPunkMusic

Die rad.

movie is so good

BackyardHero11 likes this.
  18. Picked up my copy at target today. They have an exclusive feature The with Ernest Cline visiting the set for the first time. Stoked to dig in to all the special features.

Jason Tate likes this.
  19. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I have not seen this movie, but I just watched The Shining scenes, and I have to say that the moment when they bust through the door of the movie theater into the lobby of The Overlook Hotel literally took my breath away. It is simply astounding. I believe that has to be the most I have ever been impressed by a special effect in my entire life. I have no idea how they were able to do that. They even got the magical Kubrick / Alcott lighting right!

Everything dissolves into some pretty fucking silly shenanigans soon after, but I would put those first few moments in the Overlook lobby right up there with the best sequences Spielberg has ever directed, and I realize that is saying A LOT.

20. You’re not wrong. It’s so good and unbelievable.

21. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

22. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

What could it possibly be about

Richter915 likes this.
  23. Cmoney86

Trusted

It’s a book so who knows

the first movie was amazing tho

24. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

The sequel has got to be better than his follow up book Armada. It was like a trope-filled, watered down RPO and I was incredibly disappointed.

25. AndrewSoup

It's A Secret To Everyone Prestigious

(i mean, RPO itself was already trope-filled)