Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Ready Player One (Steven Spielberg, March 30, 2018) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by fyebes, May 24, 2016.

1. fyebes

Regular Prestigious

extremely excited for this. one of my most anticipated films even though we still have two years. absolutely loved the book and I'm excited that Cline did the screenplay as well.

2. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Book was soo good.

Anthony_D'Elia and Garrett L. like this.
  3. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

The protagonist in the book was unbearable. That said, the world the author built up is pretty cool, and I wouldn't mind seeing it as a movie.

fenway89 likes this.
  4. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Book was incredible.

Anthony_D'Elia likes this.
  5. jump start

Total ginger. Prestigious

The book was great. I can't imagine it'd be easy to get all the licenses for all the stuff in the book for the movie, though.

6. fyebes

Regular Prestigious

what didn't you like about him?

7. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

He's just so damn smug about everything. I had a hard time rooting for him.

8. fyebes

Regular Prestigious

I can see that. I liked him but he wasn't my favorite.

9. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Just downloaded this book on Audible. Can't wait to get into this.

10. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Got delayed and finally got to listen to this book this past week, and wow, it was so good. Hoping the movie turns out awesome.

11. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Don't really love that Spielberg is removing all of the references to his own work from the film. I get why he's doing it, but Spielberg nostalgia was a big part of what made the book's overall 80s-worshipping schtick so endearing.

12. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

13. iCarly Rae Jepsen

14. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

I am very excited for this movie. I'm gonna have to re-read the book beforehand.

15. Anthony_

Really surprised they're removing the Aech surprise from the film. That was one of the best parts of the book, especially because of the point it made.

16. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

The hideout is a lot bigger than they describe it in the book. And isn't Wade overweight in the book?

17. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I think a lot of Spielberg's best work comes from him working in sci-fi. This should be good.

jkauf likes this.
  18. Anthony_

Yes and yes.

19. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

I can't even begin to imagine the licensing and rights nightmare this movie must be up against. I wonder how much they're able to reference because I've never read anything that nailed even some of the most obscure 80s pop culture.

Jason Tate likes this.
  20. Anthony_

Also with Spielberg taking his own work out of the equation, that limits things a lot. Plus it makes no sense whatsoever. So, like, what, James Halliday is obsessed with all sorts of geek/pop culture/80s things...except for Steven Spielberg? Like, do such people even exist?

21. AndrewSoup

It's A Secret To Everyone Prestigious

heyyy, i almost forgot about this adaptation. i loved the book for the world it created and the very concept of a giant immersive VR MMO (what with Oculus Rift/HTC Vive seems more and more possible) more than i liked the actual narrative.
    it seemed to rely just a little TOO much on nostalgia, like, nostalgia was baked into the very DNA of what made the book what it was i know. but still, it seemed to be a crutch for the storytelling. so much time spent explaining needlessly obscure pop culture references.

has Spielberg explained why he's removing references to his own filmog anywhere?

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  22. Anthony_

I think he's said he just thought it would be weird. I don't know why that would be, but if that's how he feels I guess that's how it's going to be.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  24. I'm in!

fenway89 likes this.
  25. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Richter915 likes this.