Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Re-Pressing of “One For the Kids” Coming Later This Month

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 19, 2021.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

There will be a new pressing of Yellowcard’s One for the Kids on vinyl. It’s been “remixed” and “remastered” and comes with new artwork. You can hear a new version of “October Nights” below.

I have it on good authority that this was not something all members of the band were involved with or, really, had any input on this happening or the new mixing and artwork. So, don’t expect this to be a sign of anything else to come except that Lobster Records still owns the masters for this record and can do whatever they want with it.

more

Not all embedded content is displayed here. You can view the original to see embedded videos, tweets, etc.

2. gbuffers

England.

I will not support this. I will wait for One For The Kids (William Ryan’s Version) on 4LP

3. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

I mean, it seems like most of the guys who were in the band at the time are supporting this…. I get that it was just Ryan at the end, but I don’t know if it’s wrong that someone else has the rights and ability to repress this…

4. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Nice. Interested to hear the remastered version. This album reminds me of rainy summer days back home on Lake Michigan.

5. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

Really looking forward to hearing this remastered.

.K. likes this.
  6. KneeDeepPow

I just want YC to purchase the masters and then come out with One for the Kids - Yellowcard's Version

.K. likes this.
  7. BradBradley

Regular

Yes, with a ten minute version of Big Apple Heartbreak.

earthlight, Brent and .K. like this.
  8. silbersinger

Okay, I know every inch of this album and is it just me...or does this new mix of October Nights have intonation issues not in the original version? I know Ryan got better at singing as he got older but it's not just him, there's also weird pitchiness in the guitar work too. Did they just strip away all pitch correction in this mix?

9. spencpants

Can I pet your dog? Prestigious

I want Ocean Avenue to be repressed, though.

10. Henry

Moderator Moderator

@williamryankey

Brent likes this.
  11. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

Same. And I will gladly support his reworked versions of Yellowcard songs that are coming next year, too.

.K. likes this.
  12. I don’t know. This was done entirely without Sean or I having any knowledge of it so I haven’t heard any of the new mixes, or seen any of the “new artwork”. The mixer contacted me to tell me that he was trying to have his mixes pulled because of how manipulated they were, and how shady the entire process was, but that it was all already in the bag and nothing could be done. I basically found out this was a thing the week they announced it.

Scoob, spencpants, Crisp X and 9 others like this.
  13. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

So you’re saying this isn’t leading up to a reunion with Ben, warren, and Longinue?

14. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I appreciate the comment. Offers clarity from Sean and your perspective.

15. To clarify, I’m not speaking for Sean’s perspective. I am just aware that he was also not informed about the release in any way.

16. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I guess an interesting takeaway from this whole situation is how many of us are still very interested and excited in hearing more work from you (Yellowcard/WRK/whatever other project).

silbersinger likes this.
  17. I am so grateful to still have support from all of you for my music. Next year is going to be so fun. New solo EP, first Jedha EP and full length, full album of reimagined Yellowcard songs featuring Hammock, scoring my first big project with Ryan Mendez. I can’t wait.

18. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Looking forward to hearing it all. Happy to hear we’ll be getting such a nice variety too and more accessible the better.

19. pbueddi

Trusted

Are there any songs that were meant for Will & The Wiskeymen that haven't been released yet?

.K. likes this.
  20. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I’d totally love to hear any unreleased Yellowcard, Will and The Whiskeymen, Big If…, or WRK Patreon (Part 1) songs that haven’t had a wide release.

2022 sounds nice and busy. I’ve been saying I’d love to see WRK co-write, sing on and maybe produce something (even like a single) with NFG, but I’ll hold that hope for a less busy year.

pbueddi likes this.
  21. spencpants

Can I pet your dog? Prestigious

Really shady to hear that they're doing this big re-release project of a band so many love, without even once consulting the band. Like others have said, looking forward to hearing any new music from you, @williamryankey, but, as I wrote in my first comment here, I am still hoping for an Ocean Avenue repress!

williamryankey likes this.
  22. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I’ve basically rotated YC albums the past few days. So thoughts:

Even though Lights and Sound is my 5th favourite album by the band, I don’t think it gets enough credit for being a good album. It’s kind of the darker night album to the sunnier Ocean Ave. Plus getting a big star like Natalie Maines on track was pretty crazy for an upcoming pop punk band.

Neal Avron made these records sound great and they still sound so current.

How the constant member changes and hiatus didn’t destroy this band’s music is amazing and really speaks to how great and meaningful the music is.

YC always did a good job of having some acoustic influenced songs on their records.Its lead to some great acoustic bsides, like Firewater and multiple acoustic renditions of records. Good on them for keeping that element in the band during their run.

The use of the violin in YC music was so brilliantly done. It was never “we have a violin”. It was like the albums had violin riffs or backing violin but never felt forced. Speaks to Sean’s skill and collectively their writing style.

I hope WRK has another serious full project someday. He’s continued the acoustic side with the solo stuff which has been really good, the experimental sound stuff has follow in the vein of In Time and their cover of Miss You. I’d just love to hear him have another “band” when the time is right.

Pepetito and williamryankey like this.
  23. silbersinger

@williamryankey Thanks for responding, I took one listen to this and thought it sounded super off and couldn't believe you would sign off on it. Everything you're saying clears it up. You and the guys were the soundtrack to my young adulthood, thanks for the memories and can't wait to hear everything you have planned for next year!

williamryankey and .K. like this.
  24. DannyZach

Trusted

Excatly…I didn’t even finish the listen.The original mix is so much better haha.
    I’ll never forget bleaching my hair and spike em up like Ryan in like 8th grade after buying Ocean Avenue and discovering One For The Kids and Underdog EP!Good times!

25. gbuffers

England.

I find the artwork and presentation so damn ugly as well