Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Raya and the Last Dragon (Don Hall & Carlos López Estrada, March 5, 2021) Movie • Page 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Serh, Sep 21, 2019.

1. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Is the dragon’s name Zissou, like The Life Aquatic?

PatRFinley likes this.
  2. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

no, its sisu

3. Brother Beck Mar 8, 2021
    (Last edited: Mar 8, 2021)
    Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

This was phenomenal.

Beginning and home stretch of this movie are just absolutely perfect. Like others have said, pacing in the middle section feels rushed and could've used a little more breathing room (felt like they missed / cut a beat about the team-up) but I would prefer this to dragging and being overlong, which is something a lot of movies are guilty of these days. Visuals and music were particularly awesome, and I loved all of the performances.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  4. PatRFinley

Early Onset Grump LFGM Supporter

I LOVED this. I was a complete mess for the last 10 minutes.

David Parke and Brother Beck like this.
  5. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I love how the dragon gems were basically infinity stones but in a pure way and they were trying to do the opposite of the Thanos snap
    hey there princess undercut killed me as well as how well they captured Daniel Dae Kim and Sandra Oh being hot
    Sisu used Awkwafina's gifts and energy perfectly and Kelly and Gemma were great too obviously
    TukTuk was so cute

This was definitely super dark though, the entire world was a mixture of Pompeii and Mad Max! An orphan baby had to turn to crime to survive on her own, and that was the cute comic relief! A boy who was like 8 had to live alone on the river!

6. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

This was my shit

7. Henry

Moderator Moderator

This was awesome.

Kinda wish there was a twist where the people never came back, they have to deal with loss, and rebuild on their own.

8. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Raya and the Leftovers

9. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Too dark for children

koryoreo and GrantCloud like this.
  10. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

My only gripe with the film, and this of course is minor, is that it does feel like Disney got cold feet about having a queer lead character, and rather than making the stance and being proud of it, they made everything about her love story very amorphous. If those characters were a female and male, there would have been complete clarity and transparency.

11. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Disney + Tomorrow

12. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Yessss

13. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

This was amazing. Music, animation, storytelling…awesome. It could have been a little longer though.

14. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Finally got around to watching this, absolutely loved it. The animation was ridiculously good. The whole cast rocked it. What a great movie.

15. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Never got around to posting about this, but yeah, I loved it. Really need to see it again soon. Easily my favorite North American animated film since Into the Spider-Verse, and favorite from Disney since Moana.

They nailed the tone of Raya’s finale battle with Namaari surprisingly well, where I was rooting both for & against both of ‘em and genuinely hated to see them fight (in a great, effective storytelling kinda way). Also, a lot of what was going on with, like, power dynamics and reconciliation and whatnot.

16. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

This was good. KMT and Awkwafina were perfectly cast. Loved the animation, especially how it would switch styles every now and then.

Brother Beck likes this.
  17. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I only just realized the same director who did Blindspotting co-directed this.

18. Finally watched and while it was pretty good I really did not like akwafinas character for the first 10-15 mins. They really tried to pack in as many terrible not funny quips, jokes, and what not as they could. Once that settled down it got a lot better.