Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Random Entertainment Poll: 5/23/2017

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by TJ Wells, May 23, 2017.

?

Favorite 1950s Best Picture winner?

1. All About Eve

9.1%
  2. An American in Paris

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. The Greatest Show on Earth

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. From Here to Eternity

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. On the Waterfront

54.5%
  6. Marty

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Around the World in 80 Days

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. The Bridge on the River Kwai

27.3%
  9. Gigi

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Ben-Hur

9.1%
  1. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Favorite 1950s Best Picture winner?

2. Jason Tolpin

Trusted

Tough to say. Havent seen any.

3. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Kenobi, my man

4. I've seen zero of them.

5. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

My grandfather watched Bridge On The River Kwai a bunch when a I was younger, so I always relate that movie with him.

CarpetElf likes this.
  6. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

On The Waterfront in a no-brainer for me, personally. There are plenty of great films in this list (and one that I always see listed as one of the worst to ever win Best Picture, The Greatest Show On Earth) but, for me, nothing beats Brando in that film. One of my favorite films/performances of all time. So damn good. Runner-up would be The Bridge on the River Kwai, probably.

CarpetElf likes this.
  7. Anthony_

Also is there any need to hold the poll tomorrow? Is anybody planning on not picking Casablanca? haha

8. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Same opinion as you, just reverse the winner and runner up for me

Anthony_D'Elia likes this.
  9. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

I am now.

Ken likes this.
  10. Anthony_

Ken and CarpetElf like this.
  11. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

There's a lot of great films in the 40s. I'm not sure I'll pick it.

12. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

Went with Ben-Hur. Loved that film and watch it a ton with my grandfather.

13. Morrissey

Trusted

Casablanca is pretty boring. I have no idea what else won, but I am sure there was something better.

14. Anthony_

That's a helluva take haha I legitimately don't know what to say.

15. Morrissey

Trusted

Citizen Kane came out a year prior and was such a monumental achievement that everything else looks pretty small. I probably have to watch Casablanca again one day, but along with Gone with the Wind it always feels like something people say they liked because everyone else liked it, just like champagne and wine.

16. Anthony_

Unfortunately, as we all know, Citizen Kane didn't win Best Picture. Otherwise it would be the obvious choice there.

Some might say the same thing about Citizen Kane, though, tbh. Not me, because I've seen it, but it's one of those movies where the average person would probably say you only like it because everyone says you're supposed to.

CarpetElf likes this.
  17. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Too many favorites, but All About Eve gets the edge over other masterpieces like Ben-Hur, Bridge on the River Kwai and On the Waterfront.

As for the notoriously "bad" picks, I really love Around the World in Eighty Days and The Greatest Show on Earth is only bad in the company of best pictures (even then it destroys Cavalcade and The Broadway Melody). Greatest Show beating The Quiet Man and High Noon is pretty egregious though.

Also, I like How Green Was My Valley and The Maltese Falcon even more than Citizen Kane. '41 was a strong year.

18. cshadows2887

I am going to put an oar in to say please if you do the '20s, ignore the Academy's retroactive bullshit and include both Wings and Sunrise for that first year. One of my biggest pet peeves. Haha

Anthony_D'Elia likes this.
  19. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

I'm gonna combine the 20s and 30s and will of course include both. Wait, do they not consider Sunrise a best picture winner officially? Because that's ridiculous. And honestly kind of dumb considering how amazing and groundbreaking it is.

20. Anthony_

Yeah they've retroactively labeled the award that Wings won as the "real" Best Picture award.

21. cshadows2887

Well Wings won "Outstanding Picture", which they consider the precursor to "Best Picture", and Sunrise won "Unique and Artistic Picture". They gave two picture awards and it's just baffling that they try to say otherwise. Two very good movies, too.

22. Morrissey

Trusted

That is your pet peeve?

23. Morrissey

Trusted

Citizen Kane is infamous in the cinephile world, but movies like Casablanca and Gone with the Wind are on another level of name recognition. Everyone's grandmother has seen Casablanca.

24. Anthony_

No seriously, I think Citizen Kane is on that level too. I always hear people say "__________ is the Citizen Kane of __________." Or, like, when talking about a movie that's just ok people say "Well, it's not Citizen Kane or anything." It's always at or near the top of "Greatest Films of All Time" lists put out by widely read publications. Even if people have no idea what it's about, they know the name at least.