Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Random Entertainment Poll: 5/15/2017

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by TJ Wells, May 15, 2017.

?

Favorite Best Picture winner from the 00's?

1. Gladiator

4.2%
  2. A Beautiful Mind

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Chicago

4.2%
  4. The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

4.2%
  5. Million Dollar Baby

4.2%
  6. Crash

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. The Departed

33.3%
  8. No Country for Old Men

45.8%
  9. Slumdog Millionaire

4.2%
  10. The Hurt Locker

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

What's your favorite Best Picture winner from the 00's?

2. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

A much closer call than the last one, this time between The Departed and No Country for Old Men. 2007 was a year where they actually picked a film that clearly deserved to win, and they still got it wrong (There Will Be Blood edges out No Country for Old Men for me but I adore both films). I love The Departed as well but I have to go with the Coens on this one.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  3. stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

If Fellowship of the Ring had won, that would have been my choice.

4. Morrissey

Trusted

No Country for Old Men is pretty far ahead of the rest. There are some deeply awful films in that list; jokes about Crash write themselves, but Chicago is a trainwreck.

5. Anthony_

No Country For Old Men was on TV this weekend. I switched to it during the scene where Moss and Chigurh face off at the hotel and I literally became, just, transfixed by it all over again as if I'd never seen it before. So good.

6. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

Because I love it so much I went with The Departed.

7. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Picked The Departed because, while No Country is really good, I will always love There Will Be Blood more and it's also not my favorite Coen film in general. Whereas The Departed is easily my favorite Scorsese.

8. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

Picked The Departed thinking it'd be an unpopular opinion, I thought there had been some hate in recent years.

9. Morrissey

Trusted

The Departed is a fine film, but it is going to be so confusing to newer generations of cinephiles to see that Martin Scorsese's biggest awards haul was for a film other than Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, or Goodfellas.

10. Anthony_ May 15, 2017
    (Last edited: May 17, 2017)
    Anthony_

It's already confusing to this generation of cinephiles lol

11. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Went with No Country; but considered picking The Departed for a moment.

12. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

There are two movies that might be better, but Slumdog gets the pick for favorite.

13. Anthony_

2008 had such a weak field, overall. Of the five nominees, I probably would have gone with Milk, personally. Slumdog was enjoyable at the time but I have never revisited it in the last nine years.

14. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

I actually think 4/5 of them are very good. The Reader was a very poor choice though in a year with Wall-E, The Dark Knight, In Bruges, The Wrestler, Doubt, etc.

Anthony_D'Elia likes this.
  15. Anthony_

Milk, Wall-E, In Bruges, The Dark Knight, and The Wrestler would have been my five nominees, probably. I do enjoy Frost/Nixon a lot though.