Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Radiohead Band • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

I remember it initially reminding me alot of sail to the moon (but i havent heard thief in a while) and the alt version of spinning plates. but yeah I love videotape and pyramid. codex is a good song and the ending gets really nice

2. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

Can't wait

3. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I'd say both of those are way better. "Codex" is cool but I like maybe half of IR over it. I don't like "Little by Little" at all really.

4. :chin:

5. "Sail to the Moon" is great, but Hail to the Thief always felt a little half-cooked to me (though it would still be plenty of bands' best album). Never heard the alternate version of "Spinning Plates." "Codex" is just a really important song to me.

6. SpyKi

I'd agree with that. I like "Sail to the Moon" more than "Codex" too. I think "Codex" is still very good but it doesn't feel that special to me. It's my least favourite song on the second half of Limbs. "Little by Little" is the only song I don't like on KOL.

7. We disagree fairly regularly, so this doesn't surprise me haha.

8. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues Supporter

Codex and little by little are the reasons I don't think it's a great album haha. Makes sense to me that some would disagree but they both feel so radiohead by the numbers to me. That's the thing with that album - never dug those two songs and Feral is pretty insignificant so to me it's like an amazing ep with some fluff rather than a worthy follow up to IR. There is some completely amazing stuff on that album (the last two songs in particular) but it just feels small in the scope of their discography. Which isn't the worst thing but is frustrating when they're on a one release every 4-5 years schedule

9. christsizedshoes

Trusted

Strongly agree that the final two tracks on KoL salvage it from being a very mediocre affair. Those two songs just about live up to the excellence of IR.

The first six tracks, while having some strong moments, almost feel like an imposter band trying to be Radiohead (overall). That's probably way too harsh, but something along those lines. Maybe just "Radiohead phoning it in" is a fairer description.

In addition, yes; their release schedule makes it a lot harder to overlook or whitewash. With both HTTT and KoL, I could more easily gloss over my quibbles with them not feeling nearly as complete as their best work if there weren't 4-5 year waits afterwards.

10. Man, I just can't understand the idea of TKOL being "phoned-in." It's a short album, but it's a beautiful and complex one that builds perfectly off of the straightforward, guitar-based music of In Rainbows with glitchy electronics and sampling only hinted at on Kid A and parts of HTTT.

I really think ir gets overlooked in recent conversations about the band and that almost makes it more special to me, though I know that's just my personal experience.

11. christsizedshoes

Trusted

Stylistically, I can't really disagree with your description of the record. But the songs themselves, save for the last two, are so bland and not compelling for me. The sequencing, cohesion, and atmosphere of an LP are always considerations when I listen to music, but even moreso with Radiohead; those things are particular strengths of, say, Kid A or In Rainbows. With King of Limbs, it feels like they progressed stylistically roughly to where they should have, but got lazy when it came to actually writing songs - and even moreso, writing an album.

12. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

the aesthetic of Limbs is great. some of the songs' writing didn't floor me. There's a gap in the album that I dont care a whole lot about and it's already a short album. There is still music there that I feel is really great.

Bloom and Separator are my favorites there and they are phenomenal. just about every track progresses to these weird ghost noises and I personally appreciate the fuck out of haunting sounds like that.

13. SpyKi

I like Bloom a lot but it always seems so much better whenever I hear a live version.

14. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

The Daily Mail may be the best track from TKOL sessions.

15. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues Supporter

Yeah that adds to the weirdness of KoL being good but slight, there were more and better songs from just after and almost every song that did make it is better live.

Overall I'd agree that it's pretty unfairly forgotten about. I just probably wouldn't call it underrated when there are 4 easily better albums in their catalog and probably the bends is better too.

16. angrycandy

I listened to Codex today for the first time in a long time, and it still holds up for me

Aaron Mook likes this.
  17. angrycandy

I still think that album is boring and unmemorable for the most part, especially considering it's Radiohead.

On another note: I know Radiohead released that statement saying the person who said their album was coming in June wasn't actually their manager, but I'm still holding out hope that we will get it then.

18. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

All this KOL talk inspired me to listen to it this morning on the way to work. So so great.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  19. Gjpeace

Regular Supporter

I think KoL is perfectly sequenced. The way it moves from a jittery knottiness to a more open atmosphere at the end is one of my favorite aspects of the whole album. Putting in other tracks from those sessions totally messes up that flow, in my opinion.

contra11mundum and Aaron Mook like this.
  20. CoopDawg

They're obviously grilled... Prestigious

Sub.

Also, new song?

21. CoopDawg

They're obviously grilled... Prestigious

Dang, I'd never heard of it till now. That break at 1:25 tho.

ComedownMachine likes this.
  22. mouood

ever seen a guy say goodbye to a shoe? Prestigious

angrycandy likes this.
  23. angrycandy

here we go

24. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

[​IMG]

Been listening to Spectre at least once a day for the past week.

Cameron likes this.
  25. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

Ohhh