Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Radiohead Statement on Performing in Tel Aviv

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Thom Yorke of Radiohead has posted another statement in regard to the band performing in Tel Aviv next Wednesday.

[​IMG]pic.twitter.com/GV95qCcYoI

— Thom Yorke (@thomyorke) July 11, 2017

Playing in a country isn’t the same as endorsing its government.
    We’ve played in Israel for over 20 years through a succession of governments, some more liberal than others.
    As we have in America.
    We don’t endorse Netanyahu any more than Trump, but we still play in America.
    Music, art and academia is about crossing borders not building them, about open minds not closed ones, about shared humanity, dialogue and freedom of expression. I hope that makes it clear Ken.

2. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

[​IMG]

3. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

Play in Palestine.

4. transrebel59

Regular

That's pretty reasonable. I hated when people boycotted playing in Arizona because it's not like Joe Arpaio was upset that Rage Against the Machine wasn't playing in Arizona.

5. Wharf Rat

I don't really care if bands play in Israel, I think not adhering to the cultural boycott is a defendable position and is mostly fine. But first of all, hes misunderstanding the idea of the boycott. It is a tactic, not a principle. We don't boycott the US because it's impossible to boycott a global hegemon. Virtually impossible. But the Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions tactic could work in Israel like it worked in South Africa. It is possible, and it is one of the only proven peaceful methods for a mass foreign movement to influence geopolitics and push for decolonization.

Secondly, and with that in mind, I don't really buy the benefit of the doubt Thom is widely being given. Both as in people assuming his good faith and, among lefty people who see him as a lefty figure, his general agreement with the principles of the movement and antizionism. I haven't seen anything to indicate either of those, but I've seen his angry and defensive original response to the discussion.

6. Wharf Rat

CoffeeEyes17 and Zac Djamoos like this.