Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Radiohead’s Publisher Says No Lawsuit Filed

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Radiohead’s publishers have sent a statement to Pitchfork regarding Lana Del Rey’s comments over the weekend:

As Radiohead’s music publisher, it’s true that we’ve been in discussions since August of last year with Lana Del Rey’s representatives. It’s clear that the verses of “Get Free” use musical elements found in the verses of “Creep” and we’ve requested that this be acknowledged in favour of all writers of “Creep.” To set the record straight, no lawsuit has been issued and Radiohead have not said they “will only accept 100%” of the publishing of “Get Free.”

2. IATAvalanche

Regular

that sounded like bullshit from the get go

3. smowashere

Trusted Supporter

Just listened to the song for the first time, and the similarities are glaring.

hypernights. likes this.
  4. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I'm bored of this whole thing already. Hope we don't hear anymore from either party until it's resolved.

5. Stevangelion

We Can (Not) Make It Alone.

Seems like she got the attention she wanted. No new low these days.

6. The attention she wanted? wtf?

7. benschuyler

Regular Prestigious

Yeahhhh that's pretty clearly a rip off.

8. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

Look, I'm not a big fan of her music, but she's clearly a very successful artist on her own. If anything, I could see how maybe this was a case of miscommunication between her and her team/Radiohead and their team.

Sure, it's possible they're both full if it, but I fail to see the motivation behind fabricating this. If anything, I'd say it's more likely that Radiohead are trying to play it down now that there's a lot of eyeballs on it.

skogsraet likes this.
  9. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Lana stands to gain absolutely nothing from lying about this. Neither does Radiohead, but I agree that it seems like there's been some miscommunication.

Jonathan and Kingjohn_654 like this.
  10. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

I’m curious about the distinction between the responsibilities of lawyers and publishers. I was under the impression that since there’s a dispute, and up to three songwriters involved (Lana, Radiohead, the Hollies) lawyers would handle it rather than publishers? If that’s the case, I could see how this miscommunication could easily happen but I’m not experienced enough in publishing or copyright law to know

11. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

Hot take:

Lana Del Rey > Radiohead

Don't @ me

12. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Can I @ you to agree?

I mean I love Radiohead but I listen to Lana way more.

13. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

:-|:-|:-|:-| noooo.

to be fair I could never get into Lana.

Victor Eremita likes this.
  14. DandonTRJ

~~~ヾ(^∇^ Supporter

I thought it was suspicious when Eriq Gardner hadn't posted anything at THR. He'd have a lawsuit like this written up day-of-filing. I've been too lazy to run a PACER search, so I'm glad Radiohead's team cleared up that point of confusion.

15. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

As if Lana needs to seek attention. Seems pretty clear that it was either miscommunication or Radiohead trying to shrug it off now that people are paying attention. I do think it'd be pretty bold to sue for plagiarism when they already lost a lawsuit over this exact song for it.

zachmacD and mattfreaksmeout like this.
  16. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

Especially since the lawyer has to be so specific as to say "and we’ve requested that this be acknowledged in favour of all writers of “Creep."

17. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

Why are you like this?

18. Jared Luttrell

Regular

I don't think they understand how big an artist Lana is to think she would need to involve them purposefully for attention. Pretty ridiculous accusation.

Kingjohn_654 and Jason Tate like this.
  19. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

those do sound like..... super similar

20. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

Radiohead have always bored the absolute shit out of me.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  21. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

To me it seemed like the miscommunication came from the fact that they were clearly in touch trying to reach an agreement but weren't having success, so lana is saying "we will take it to court then" or whatever in her tweet, she's saying that it's expected to be settled in court since they couldn't settle out of. and people took that as a lawsuit was already in motion?