Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

R. Kelly Is Holding Women Against Their Will In A “Cult,” Parents Told Police

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Jim DeRogatis, writing at Buzzfeed:

Three former members of Kelly’s inner circle — Cheryl Mack, Kitti Jones, and Asante McGee — provided details supporting the parents’ worst fears. They said six women live in properties rented by Kelly in Chicago and the Atlanta suburbs, and he controls every aspect of their lives: dictating what they eat, how they dress, when they bathe, when they sleep, and how they engage in sexual encounters that he records.

The last time J. saw her daughter was Dec. 1, 2016.

2. aniafc

Trusted

I read this whole thing this morning and it's truly disturbing to think about.

Raku likes this.
  3. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

This is terrifying.

Raku likes this.
  4. SlappinCups

Hurley apologist Prestigious

just awful

Raku likes this.
  5. holy shit, this is horrifying

Raku likes this.
  6. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

Absolutely disgusting.

Raku likes this.
  7. He's a monster

Raku likes this.
  8. John Zafran

As If Everything Was Held In Place

fake news?

9. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

I'm kind of disturbed by how...undisturbed I am by the whole thing. The objectification and commodification of women and our bodies has created so many horror stories like this and much worse, and I think it's gotten to me to the point where I read this whole article and I was just surprised anyone else is surprised by it. I mean, was anyone truly unaware that men with power use it to control women? What woman hasn't watched a man try to manipulate a woman into acting out his will? How is what R Kelly did any different or worse than the countless men who have murdered the women who rejected them, broke their hearts, defied them? This is just another symptom of a culture that didn't bat an eye when Age ain't Nothing but a Number came out and it's disgusting, horrifying, but not in the least surprising.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  10. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

This is so fucked up. What an absolute piece of shit.

Raku likes this.
  11. razorburn

Trusted

12. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I get it, there's a certain numbness which sets in with so many awful stories , and also so many things should have been the straw that broke the camel's back with him

mattylikesfilms and skogsraet like this.
  13. Stilicho

Newbie Supporter

I think I get it also. Abuses of the power of men with status to control women seems like a ever present issue. Woody Allen and Roman Polanski got away with similar and equally horrifying stuff, granted on a much smaller scales, with no real impacts on their careers. President Trump applied the same "women as owned property" in the Ms. Universe pageants, and suffered no serious consequences in the U.S. presidential election. I guess the thing I find more shocking than things like this happening, is that things like this are still happening with no end in sight.

skogsraet likes this.
  14. buckcheeks

Regular

How could anyone be shocked by this news? Dude should have been in jail ten years ago. Never understood why he still headlines festivals despite the things he's done.

Fuck R Kelly.

skogsraet likes this.
  15. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

16. Jesus

17. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

This is absolutely horrifying. How is he not in jail for this? I legitimately don't get it...

Raku likes this.
  18. John Zafran

19. John Zafran