Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

R.E.M. Band • Page 7

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by DaydreamNation, Mar 31, 2016.

1. inwaves

the ships have all sailed to the sea

Just starting to get into these guys and "Harborcoat" is a jam

Rowan5215 likes this.
  2. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

Lifes Rich Pageant is the near-perfect midpoint between early REM and second-era REM imo. if they'd finished Bad Day and put it on there it would be an outright classic

3. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

I had no idea the song dated back that far. Do you consider Superman part of the album or a bonus track?

Rowan5215 likes this.
  4. Rowan5215

yup, if you check out the LRP deluxe from a few years ago it has a bunch of demos and Bad Day was one of them (basically finished, too, they just never fully recorded it till In Time). I like the demo version so much more but that's me

I think Superman is considered the actual closer. Swan Swan H seems like the more obvious choice but early REM albums never really end with an obviously closer-y song, they tend to surprise you. Superman is an absolute banger either way

5. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Yeah I like it a lot I just couldn't bring myself to include it among their best tracks since it's only a cover. They definitely didn't take the usual route for closing albums until later in their career. Which is kind of a shame because Out of Time and Automatic for the People have a couple of the best closing runs you'll ever find, especially ATP. If anyone knows of a better closing trifecta I'd love to hear it.

Rowan5215 likes this.
  6. Rowan5215

AFTP closes with probably my favourite 8 minutes ever in music, lmao. Me In Honey, 11/Untitled and Electrolite are all terrific closers as well. but there's something to be said for bucking expectations and going out with something unexpected for sure

7. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

no shit? Completely randomly, I listened to that album for the first time ever today

8. Rowan5215

9. Rowan5215

"I’ve never liked the Doors and I don’t really like “Camera,” which slows things down more lugubriously than “Time After Time” and is probably on nobody’s list of the best R.E.M. songs ever."

welp I've been called out lol

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  10. Barcara

Regular

11. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

I love Camera. Was my second favourite track from Reckoning when I first heard it behind So. Central Rain.

Incidentally when I finally went deep into the REM catalogue last year I had little idea which songs were the 'hits' in the early days. I'd heard Automatic for the People, Losing My Religion and End of the World. Literally can never remember hearing any of their other songs. And as I picked out my fav tracks from each album it turned out they were the most revered ones anyway -- Perfect Circle, So. Central Rain, Driver 8, Fall on Me.

12. Oh my god!

13. Rowan5215

no fucking way

EmmanuelSCastle and Mary V like this.
  14. @EmmanuelSCastle Michael Stipe is actually coming back to serenade us through day-to-day life (apocalypse)!

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  15. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

we spoke this into existence hell yeah! so he's writing completely alone? I'm excited and nervous at the same time but mostly just excited

Mary V likes this.
  16. Jason Tolpin

Trusted

Interesting.

17. What were the insta posts? They appear to be deleted now

18. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Rowan5215 and Mary V like this.
  19. Man. I love this band so much

Rowan5215 likes this.
  20. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

Looks like they're repressing Monster LPs

21. Rowan5215

"Fascinating" really is an understated/beautiful tune. wish it had closed Reveal instead of fuckin' "Beachball" lmao

Mary V likes this.
  22. I feel like this cover was just for me

tomdelonge likes this.
  23. lettersandnumbers and Mary V like this.
  24. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Mary V and Aregala like this.