Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

R.E.M. Band • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by DaydreamNation, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Full Effect Ed

...In F*cking Full Effect Prestigious

Picking a top ten is so hard because I’ve loved them dearly all my life, but I can tell you what my overall favorite song is. And that is “Orange Crush”.

2. Just watched Live In Dublin again. This band was something special. Michael has always been one of my favourite singers, simple and raw and always candid

3. primavera Jul 9, 2018
    (Last edited: Jul 9, 2018)
    primavera

big baller brand Supporter

top 10:
    finest worksong
    pilgrimage
    gardening at night
    pretty persuasion
    fall on me
    swan swan h
    hairshirt
    half a world away
    the sidewinder sleeps tonite
    electrolite

4. Barcara

Regular

Underrated song, on my top 10 too.
    In fact, sub in Orange Crush somewhere and my top 10 would be almost the same.

Craig Manning likes this.
  5. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

My least popular R.E.M. opinion is that Around the Sun is underrated in general. Beyond 2-3 songs that I would probably trim, it's actually my favorite of the post-Berry albums.

Barcara likes this.
  6. Barcara

Regular

I don't think I would go that far myself, but I absolutely agree that it's definitely not the awful album people make it out to be. I quite like the vibe.

7. Stunning

Blaine Ryan and junkmanserenade like this.
  8. Blaine Ryan

I got the BBC box set for Christmas and have been binging. I wish the audio on a couple of the broadcasts was better, but overall it's a fantastic set. The 1995 Monster Tour show is dynamite -- every song reimagined as an overdriven distortion machine.

coleslawed likes this.
  9. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Halfway through a major deep dive having not listened to the full REM discography before. Such a great band. Feel like when I'm finished I'll probably match the general consensus (among critics at least it seems) that the best two albums are Automatic and Murmur. But Document is right up there and Lifes Rich Pageant grew on me a ton the more I listened to it. Can't help but think Reckoning, whilst great, is their most overrated album...

10. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

I have to listen to R U Talkin' when I finish listening through. Was never into U2 enough to listen to that season but heard good things.

11. Blaine Ryan

I've always felt like Document was their most overrated album. It has some incredible highs, but for my money more flat out duds than any of the other albums up to (and including) New Adventures. It also contains a couple songs I just never seek out due to fatigue.

Aregala likes this.
  12. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

It definitely drops off in the second half imo. If it didn't I'd probably have it at number one. I personally think Murmur lags a little at the end as well, which gives Automatic the win for me. Subject to change of course.
    Which Document songs do you flat out not like?

13. Craig Manning

The U2 run is so great. I’m a huge fan of the band, but it’s also just a hilarious podcast. I’d recommend it. I don’t like R.E.M. near as much as U2, but I’ve still been enjoying the pod.

coleslawed likes this.
  14. Blaine Ryan Jan 1, 2019
    (Last edited: Jan 2, 2019)
    Blaine Ryan

"Fireplace," "Lightnin' Hopkins," "Oddfellows Local 151." Really the only song on the second half that I think is above average is "King of Birds.”

"Strange" is fun but kind of a throwaway.

And I almost always skip "The One I Love" -- I think it's a good song, but like I said, fatigue.

15. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Fair enough, I agree those aren't the best. Strange is okay but I get unreasonably annoyed when albums have one cover thrown in. I'd prefer it be tacked on the end like with Superman so it at least seems like a bonus. I am in the enviable position of having fatigue with only two REM songs -- Losing My Religion and Everybody Hurts -- because in Australia they seem to be the only two you ever hear.

Blaine Ryan likes this.
  16. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Maybe I'll save the U2 eps for when I finally delve into their music more. Very little has grabbed me outside of the Joshua Tree and certain tracks I just can't stand so I've hesitated to give them a real shot.
    For whatever reason it has taken me until 28 to dig into REM so I'm sure I'll get to U2 eventually.
    Celebration Rock is on extended hiatus but having now listened through the REM discog and knowing Steven Hyden is a huge fan I'd love a pod series similar to his Springsteen one.

17. Craig Manning

I feel like you’d be surprised by U2 if you started at the beginning and went in with an open mind. They’re probably a top five band/artist of all time for me.

coleslawed and Mary V like this.
  18. inagreendase

Grew up a casual fan who was very big on the singles. That probably clouds my list some. Became more of a legit fan in the late 2000s; checked out the neglected albums more recently when the podcast first became a thing. (Collapse Into Now is actually pretty good!)

Top 10 tracks:

Losing My Religion
    The One I Love
    Driver 8
    Harborcoat
    So. Central Rain
    Man on the Moon
    Pretty Persuasion
    Maps and Legends
    The Great Beyond
    It’s the End…

Blaine Ryan likes this.
  19. navidson

Regular

Country Feedback
    Sweetness Follows
    Find The River
    Fall On Me
    Half A World Away
    I'll Take The Rain
    Try Not To Breathe
    Nightswimming
    Leave
    Leaving New York

Blaine Ryan likes this.
  20. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

Nightswimming
    Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite
    Man On The Moon
    Gardening At Night
    Blue
    Losing My Religion
    So. Central Rain
    Living Well Is The Best Revenge
    Talk About the Passion
    What's The Frequency, Kenneth?

Blaine Ryan likes this.
  21. Blaine Ryan

Collapse has aged well, and feels deeper and more emotional with the specter of their breakup hovering over it.

Rowan5215 and lettersandnumbers like this.
  22. I think I can stand by this still

23. Ehh maybe slide Rockville in at #10 instead of Radio Free though

24. Blaine Ryan

I feel like I left a ton of favorites off mine, including "Rockville."

This band has too many amazing songs.

25. DesolateEarth

Birb

What's Your Frequency, Kenneth?, Orange Crush, and Stand are all quality tunes.