Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

R.E.M. Band • Page 14

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by DaydreamNation, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Clive Butler

Here is my cover of King Of Birds
    Please check out my YouTube channel for many other R.E.M. covers

2. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

3. SuddenUrgeJoey

queer as fuck. Supporter

4. Barcara

Regular

If I read this correctly, Barry has put three songs from albums he's not on in his ten choices, very cool.

Also The Bear is insanely good this season, as if it wasn't already a high bar for this show.

SuddenUrgeJoey and Rowan5215 like this.
  5. Paulms85

Regular Supporter

This band are my no 1 wish I had seen live. Been listening to them for 25 years. Got into them during the press for Up.

Enjoy all the IRS (pre Green) stuff. Out of Time through to New Adventures in HiFi are all brilliant - yes most albums contain a couple of tracks that are a bit iffy and have an outsized impact on their passing reputation (Shiny Happy People, Everybody Hurts) but there are no bands like them. Even the latter couple of albums are fairly consistent. I actually think they are underappreciated in current times such is the strength and uniqueness of their catalogue

Michael Stipe is just brilliant. So pleased to see them getting a boost with the Bear.

Matthewconte and Mary V like this.
  6. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

They just pressed Around the Sun and Collapse Into Now on vinyl and I grabbed both of them. Really been enjoying those. Accelerate and Reveal coming this fall.

Paulms85 likes this.
  7. sam_might_say

“Damn son, where’d you find this?”

8. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Mary V and DaydreamNation like this.
  9. iCarly Rae Jepsen Dec 3, 2023
    (Last edited: Dec 3, 2023)
    iCarly Rae Jepsen

jpmalone4, Jim, Rowan5215 and 2 others like this.
  10. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

respectfully, mike being in a room with that group making an album sounds dreadful lol

Jim likes this.
  11. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Fascinating excerpt

12. sam_might_say

They had me at “Antonoff” but lost me at “Healy”

SuddenUrgeJoey likes this.
  13. Jim

Trusted Supporter

I’ve recently realized I REALLY fucking like Up.

Mary V and SuddenUrgeJoey like this.
  14. sam_might_say

It’s a weird one, for sure. But there are some great tracks on there. At My Most Beautiful is amazing

Jim likes this.
  15. Craig Manning

I've just generally come to appreciate how much I like their later material recently. A bunch of underrated albums.

16. abw123

Trusted

every single REM album has some worthwhile songs on it and most of the latter years are underrated

I like Up the least, but it has a handful of good tunes

Paulms85 likes this.
  17. abw123

Trusted

New Adventures in Hi Fi is a masterpiece

Around the Sun and Accelerate are both very solid

Mary V, Paulms85 and SuddenUrgeJoey like this.
  18. sam_might_say

New Adventures is a very close second behind Automatic for me for favorite album of theirs. Hell, I consider it one of my all-time favorite albums, period. So many amazing tracks that perfectly capture every era of the band. I’ll never bore of listening to it.

Although, I don’t usually affiliate that album with their later work. For me it’s Up and everything after

19. abw123

Trusted

Fair, but I consider Monster the last of their run on top of the world so to me everything after that is latter era. But you’re not wrong

20. Craig Manning

I know it’s not the popular take, but I go back to their ‘90s and 2000s work so much more than their ‘80s albums. I don’t know if it’s because I lived through that period of the band and therefore have some nostalgic appreciation for all those albums, or if I generally find their sound more interesting as they went along, but I definitely reach for, like, New Adventures a lot more than I reach for Murmur.

Paulms85 likes this.
  21. Jim

Trusted Supporter

theres days New American is my favorite of theirs, I think Lifes Rich Pageant is my favorite overall though.

22. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

Up has Daysleeper which is a fucking tidal wave of a song especially as a night shift worker

Mary V and Paulms85 like this.
  23. SuddenUrgeJoey

queer as fuck. Supporter

Yep, I think Pageant is #1 and Hi-Fi is #2 for me

Mary V and Jim like this.
  24. Jason Tolpin

Trusted

I had to look up the dates when they toured with 10,000 maniacs (1989) - Natalie Merchant came out to sing a song with REM, and Michael Stipe came out to sing a song with them.

Lifes Rich Pageant was one of my first cassettes, and the next 2 tapes for Document and Green are the trinity for me, similar to Weezers Blue, Green, and Pinkerton.

25. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

I love Collapse Into Now