Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

R.E.M. Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by DaydreamNation, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Been listening to these guys a ton recently. A few of my favorite songs of theirs:

2. Also, here's a video of Stipe rocking a huge beard and covering Bowie on Fallon earlier this week:

phaynes1 likes this.
  3. cover is beautiful

4. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

"Nightswimming" and "Sweetness Follows" are probably my favorite songs of theirs. Automatic for the People is a stone cold classic.

KRKrummy likes this.
  5. agreed about Automatic for the People. The In Time best of is the thing I've listened to most though--was just the only CD my sister had growing up haha.

6. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I think In Time was where I started too. And then Around the Sun. As a result, I love Around the Sun.

7. Lifes Rich Pageant has been growing in my heart recently.

8. phaynes1

Regular

Been thinking about revisiting their 80s material, it's been too long

9. AJ Earhart

get off my case

I'm a fan of Document, I think "Exhuming McCarthy" might be my fave REM song.

10. phaynes1

Regular

So great

11. Gjpeace

Regular Supporter

I knew the big singles from Automatic for the People and maybe a couple other songs - I think I had even picked up In Time at some point - but I was blessed to have a teacher encourage me to start chronologically. Beginning with Chronic Town and moving forwards has always struck me as the best way to get into them, but I suppose I'm biased.

KRKrummy likes this.
  12. KRKrummy

Formerly SanePsychotic Prestigious

As a semi-hardcore REM fan, I have to say that over time this has become one of my favorite songs of theirs. "Nightswimming" is another favorite, but the simplicity of the guitar riffs on this one really makes it stand out for me.

13. KRKrummy

Formerly SanePsychotic Prestigious

I'm planning on going back through their entire catalog at some point soon, but I'm most excited to get into their 80s material. There's so much there that I know I've forgotten about, so it'll be nice to get back to it.

14. Laura

Bozo did the dub Prestigious

My favorite band! Their 80's material is flawless. I can never choose a favorite between Murmur, Reckoning, and Document.

KRKrummy likes this.
  15. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

Top 10 band/artist of all time.

16. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

17. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Best three records to start? Automatic seems an obvious choice

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  18. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Automatic Out of Time and Document I guess

Joel likes this.
  19. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

will do after my Superchunk discography binge lol

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  20. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

I would've said any of those three or Fables of the Reconstruction and Chronic Town.

21. Gjpeace

Regular Supporter

I still say going chronologically is the best. I mean, Chronic Town and Murmur are perfect records, and hearing how they explored their sound from there is one of the greatest experiences I've had discovering a new artist.

I did skip ahead to Automatic though, because it's AMAZING.

22. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

23. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

A little bit off topic, but something cool that Patton Oswalt did with the audiobook to Zombie Spaceship Wasteland. There was a section where he talked a lot about Fables of the Reconstruction, and he actually got Michael Stipe to come on and read some of his favorite lyrics on there.

24. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I love these guys, have listened to both Greatest Hits albums many times and was lucky enough to catch them live a while back. Recently started diving into more of their full albums and finding a ton of hidden gems

25. iCarly Rae Jepsen